Skip to comments.The Palins Versus the Critics
Posted on 08/03/2012 3:48:28 AM PDT by Kaslin
From our seats in front of the television, it certainly feels like the TV network programmers have all the power to entertain us. But the press gatherings of the Television Critics Association in Tinseltown suggest that others audaciously think they should be in the driver's seat, and they're not shy about saying so.
The latest TCA press tour showed off the intimidating power of the television critics flailing away at young, shy Bristol Palin, who's returning to ABC for an all-star version of "Dancing with the Stars."
Look, there's no doubt that Sarah Palin has figured out a way to benefit from all the media attention -- mostly negative, often vicious -- after the 2008 presidential race. The enemy of my enemy is my friend -- and her support has grown by the millions. Her supporters across America made Bristol a fan-favorite on "Dancing," even if she was hardly Ginger Rogers on the season debut. But the Palin-haters who dismissed her as being on the show only because of her famous mother proved their real agenda when Chastity "Chaz" Bono took a turn (as a "male") on the program, and the crickets chirped.
In addition to the TLC series "Sarah Palin's Alaska" and Bristol's two turns on "Dancing," Bristol is currently on the show "Life's a Tripp" on Lifetime. Her father, Todd, will star in the fall on the NBC show "Stars Earn Stripes." There's no doubt the TV critics hate the idea of this family on television.
Washington Post critic Lisa de Moraes made great fun of how the Palins are cashing in to become "the Barrymores of reality TV" and competing with the Kardashians to see which shameless "family business" can do the most programs. The Palins have a good response: "I don't think it's our business," Bristol said of her family, when one TV critic asked that question. "I just think you guys are going to be talking about us either way, so we might as well be doing something enjoyable and fun."
"You haven't gone full Kardashian," joked ABC host Tom Bergeron. "No, not at all," Bristol replied. Bristol kept up the "might as well have fun" line for the next hardball. She was asked: If you don't like the harsh media attention, then why don't you just go home to Alaska and raise your son, rather than make yourself a target? The "please go home" feeling in the question was unmistakable.
In the eyes of these critics, the Kennedys are American royalty, while the Palins are too cordoned off with reality TV divas like the Kardashians or hicks like the stars of "Hillbilly Handfishin'."
A journalist also brought up a recent episode of "Life's a Tripp" where Bristol's son said an "F-word" that was bleeped. (I say "a journalist" because the critics don't identify each other by name when they report on how they have picked on young Palins.) Gay activists claimed the little boy uttered their hated F-word, and Lifetime's corporate line of defense was no, actually it was the more common F-bomb. The better question is why Lifetime felt that tantrum of profanity and brattiness was considered great television, instead of cutting-room floor garbage. The toddler bleeps haven't helped. The "Tripp" show has performed badly enough that it's now airing in a late-night slot.
The critics' toughest hardball question for Bristol was how she would react if paired with a homosexual professional partner on the new season of "Dancing With the Stars." It's also a somewhat strange question. On Bristol's previous tour of the show, bisexual comedian Margaret Cho and her gay professional partner, Louis van Amstel, danced to "Copacabana" with a gay-pride message. There was no storming off the set or critical comments from Team Palin. But that is never good enough.
Under fire from the journalists, Bristol answered: "You know what? I like gays. I'm not a homophobic (sic), and I'm so sick of people saying that, just because I'm for traditional marriage..." The media elite replied by happily tweeting the grammatical mistake.
Again, the media code is obvious: no "homophobes" in favor of traditional marriage should be allowed to star on a TV program -- and certainly not in a room full of ballroom dancers. It doesn't matter if they never say a word of protest or never plan an "educational" dance routine that honors Jesus and the ridiculed home-schooled kids who are allowed to study him in school time.
Would it be rude to ask Chaz Bono how she would feel if ABC paired her with a male professional partner, since she was (and is) female? Not just rude, it would be insulting. In the calculus of the TV critics, Bono must be applauded for her courage, and Bristol must be brought low because she's a Palin.
Chastity/Chaz Bono? A perfect symbol of aggresive liberalism. Once a beautiful young lady, now a self mutilated monstrous freak. But oh, the diversity!
A strange conundrum.
The same media that loves to make money off them hates them.
They put their shows on because they know those shows will be watched and the studio will rake in the cash, and yet they allow—no—not allow —they encourage their news people to attack them.
The media is most probably the dirtiest liberal business in this country today, matched only by Hollywood.
When I saw what American Liberals were doing ... I got up a distaste for Liberals which soon ripened into horror. For years I have "sweat with agony" at the sight of a Liberal ... I had rather encounter rattlesnakes, --- far rather,--- for the rattlesnake is a gentlemanly fellow who can be relied upon to do the right thing if you give him half a chance. I have had dealings with him in my time and also with the Liberals, and I speak from knowledge.
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
Alaska was hardly a reality show, in the current sense of the word. It was more of a documentary/travelogue using the Palin family as narrator and focal point.
I know, I watched it
What an excellent response!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.