Skip to comments.Contractor who stole property gets 30 years ["smear campaign" imprisons another African American]
Posted on 09/15/2012 4:54:45 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
Despite an unusual plea for leniency from Houston's city controller, five-time felon and swindler Dwayne Jordon was handed a 30-year sentence Friday after admitting to stealing 23 properties from rightful owners by forging deeds and building new homes on pilfered land.
He then resold the properties to unsuspecting victims.
Harris County District Judge David Mendoza said he weighed competing factors to find a "sentence that fit the crime." He said he considered Jordon's construction work on stolen and legitimate lots in a blighted neighborhood, evidence of his continuing scams while free on bond and Jordon's role as a father and community leader.
Ultimately, Mendoza found that Jordon's business was "built on a poor foundation."
"This was built on theft," Mendoza said, adding that Jordon stole more than land and money, but also his victims' "trust," "security" and even "part of their futures." Mendoza noted Jordon made minimal efforts to pay restitution while free on bond since 2009 and instead used some of that time to commit new crimes.
Defense lashes out
Jordon's defense attorney Chip Lewis, who sought deferred prosecution, blamed the Houston Chronicle's coverage of his crimes for Jordon's long sentence, although his client pleaded guilty to two felony thefts and could have gotten a 99-year sentence based on an extensive criminal history.
"It is beyond shameful that a man, who brought so much pride to Sunnyside, is now just another imprisoned African American as a result of your smear campaign and the political agendas of others," said Lewis, who promised to appeal.
(Excerpt) Read more at chron.com ...
The refuge of last resort - play the race card.
And people are asking, Why is our City Controller associated with a Convicted Felon? ".......How is Ron Green associated with Dwayne Jordan? While Harris County prosecutors want to sentence Jordan, who has a long string of prior convictions including kidnapping, armed robbery and illegal possession of drugs and firearms, Ron Green is asking the Judge probation for his friend. According to Green, Jordan deserves his freedom and a chance to repay his victims. Although Green is at full liberty to choose who he is friends with, it does not give me pleasure nor confidence to see Houstons City Controller stand up for a man who ripped off people Green was elected to protect............"
[But City Controller Ron Green has since cut Jordan loose.]
"...........Jordon has several personal and financial connections to City Controller Ron Green, who served as Jordon's character witness in March, and to Green's wife, Hilary Green, an elected justice of the peace who ruled on Jordon's eviction cases and a property dispute.
Ron Green, who also employed Jordon as a contractor and briefly served as Jordon's defense attorney, did not attend the hearing. Green told the Chronicle by email this week that prior to reading newspaper reports he "did not know of any (other) civil or criminal allegations pending against Mr. Jordon."....... Oops
Show me one city run by minorities that is run honestly and well. Houston is no exception.
Ever heard of a title search and title insurance?
“Here in Houston (and I suspect in most large urban areas),Black politicians are criminals.”.....
“Show me one city run by minorities that is run honestly and well. Houston is no exception.” ....
Yet they vote color.
Case in point: Barack Obama.
Here is a list of current economic and social data for African-Americans.
* African-Americans aged 18-34 have the lowest employment rate (54%) since the government started tracking in 1948.
* African-American youth unemployment is 39.3% (ages 16-19) and is nearly double the 20.9% unemployment rate for whites in the same age demographic.
* Total African-American unemployment is 14.1%, while overall national unemployment now stands at 8.1%.
* Two point five million African-Americans are currently looking for work but can’t find a job.
* “African-Americans make up a disproportionately large share of the unemployed and long-term unemployed. They account for roughly 19 percent of the total unemployed population, 23 percent of those unemployed for more than six months, and 26 percent of those unemployed for 99 or more weeks.”
* “The typical unemployment spell lasts roughly seven months (28.4 weeks) for an African-American worker, compared to less than five months (19.2 weeks) for all workers.”
* “African-Americans are more likely to be unemployed than the overall population across all levels of educational attainment. While the unemployment rate for African-Americans without a high school diploma was 21.7 percent last month, the overall unemployment rate for those without a high school diploma was 15.0 percent. Likewise, 6.6 percent of African-Americans with at least a bachelor’s degree were unemployed, 50 percent higher than the overall unemployment rate for those with a 4-year college degree.”
* “The median income of African-American households was $32,068, a decline of 3.2 percent from 2009. The last decade has seen a significant erosion of income for African-American households; from 2000 to 2010, real median household income declined by 14.6 percent. Since 2007, African-American median household income has declined by 10.1 percent-the largest decline of all major racial and ethnic groups.”
* “In 2010, the poverty rate among African-Americans was 27.4 percent, up from 25.8 percent in 2009 and up from 24.5 percent at the start of the 2007-2009 recessions.”
* “10.7 million African-Americans lived in poverty in 2010, including 4.4 million children. Many of those in poverty were living in female-headed households. The poverty rate among African-Americans living in families headed by women was 41.0 percent in 2010.”
* Thirty-nine point one percent of African-American children less than 18 years old live in poverty.
* In 2011, the poverty rate among African-Americans was 27.5 percent, as measured by the U.S. Census Bureau using the Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM), which uses a wider range of factors than the official federal measure to determine poverty status.
The jury is still out on Sly James in Kansas City but he seems different to me and is respected by those who know these things.
wow, the crooked local politicians defended him? Are they scared he knows some of their secrets?
Minority government doesn’t make a city corrupt. Democrat government makes a city corrupt. Real estate has been the “brass ring” here in Texas since 1836. It is no coincidence that Houston’s most honored former mayor, white by the way, also just happened to own the right of way for all major highway projects in Harris County. The city was founded by real estate speculators who lied about the climate to attract investors. Heck, they have a major roadway named after them! The Black and Hispanic politicians just need time to refine their skills.
“Jordon’s business was “built on a poor foundation.”
Building houses on stolen land?! Sounds like a “stolen” foundation!!!
“...........Jordon has several personal and financial connections to City Controller Ron Green, who served as Jordon’s character witness in March, and to Green’s wife, Hilary Green, an elected justice of the peace who ruled on Jordon’s eviction cases and a property dispute........”
Holders people scam holders people because its easy when one or both are trying to take advantage and neither party wants the “Man” involved.
Nothing in Texas Real Estate Law requires Title search or insurance and often in these type cases are not even deed recorded. They just “stays” there anyway. As soon as payment is missed, strong arm repo’ed and sold to the next one. Law of the Jungle, you know.
The tax office is stealing peoples land by creating phony delinquent taxes. Since it's before the court I can't go into any more detail.
My attorney said the county I'm dealing with isn't the only county doing it.
He said he knows of at least one other county in Texas doing exactly the same thing, stealing peoples land with phony delinquent taxes.
Spring Hill man pleads guilty to fabricating thousands of foreclosure inspection reports "TAMPA As the housing market imploded, Dean Counce's business boomed.
Counce's Brooksville company contracted with lenders to regularly inspect properties in foreclosure throughout the state. By 2009, Counce was sending as many as 100,000 inspection reports each month to Bank of America, receiving about $6.50 for each. Bank of America then billed the federal entities that owned or insured the mortgages............
Lenders such as Countrywide Services and, later, Bank of America would send Counce a list of distressed properties that required periodic inspections mandated and ultimately paid for by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or the Federal Housing Administration.
The inspections required Counce to visit a property, complete a report, take photographs and send the information to the lender. Counce performed some inspections personally, but as the company grew, he hired employees to do them.
As the housing market sank to new depths, the company couldn't keep up with the volume of inspection requests, so Counce and his staffers started fabricating reports.
When a new request came in, Counce directed inspectors to visit the property and take many photographs, far more than necessary for a single report. He then directed employees some of them still in high school to use the photos for subsequent reports. These workers, according to court records, were called the "dates."...............
LOL! Forget the fact that he's guilty as hell, he's just another "imprisoned African-American".
“Here in Houston (and I suspect in most large urban areas),Black politicians are criminals.”
You have to begin to wonder if “corruption in the Black Community” is genetic!
“Nothing in Texas Real Estate Law requires Title search or insurance and often in these type cases are not even deed recorded. They just stays there anyway. As soon as payment is missed, strong arm repoed and sold to the next one. Law of the Jungle, you know.”
And there I was beginning to think that Texas was some utopian society were the “huddled masses” from California were just yearning to matriculate. At least here in CA we have to have title insurance and so far as I know the county tax assessors here are not out trying to steal people’s real property with phonied up tax liens.
Can’t say for CA real estate laws, but Texans are real happy to have kalifornians stay in CA as there is some silly tendency for CA migrants wanting to turn anywhere else into CA politics.
“The Black and Hispanic politicians just need time to refine their skills.”
If you take a look at all the Black & Hispanic-Run Cities, and I think you will find that they have already “refined their skills.” Just pick one, Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, Los Angeles, they are all corrupt and functionally ungoverned. What’s even more telling is the number of these two minority’s politicians going to jail for corruption.
And I really liked your comment about Houston’s “founders” lying about the climate. Nothing like walking out of the Houston Airport in the summer and having your sunglasses fog up like a cold beer bottle!
Thanks Cincinatus’ Wife.
I don't see how you could even do a drive by inspection for that. At those prices, Countrywide had to know they were buying garbage.