Skip to comments.Second person in Vermont dies of fatal brain infection spread by mosquitoes
Posted on 09/19/2012 9:13:28 PM PDT by nicmarlo
A second Vermonter has died from the eastern equine encephalitis, a rare and potentially fatal brain infection spread by mosquitoes, Health Department officials confirmed on Tuesday.
Scott Sgorbati, 49, of Sudbury, died within the last few days after fighting the virus for several weeks.
Two weeks ago, Richard Hollis Breen, 87, of Brandon died of EEE, after being sick with the disease for five days.
Vermont Health Commissioner Dr. Harry Chen on Tuesday offered condolences to the families of both men and reminded Vermonters that EEE is a very rare virus. On average there are only six cases a year nationwide, he said. About one-third of the people with severe EEE die from the disease. Many of those who survive have mild to severe disabilities.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Please take proper precautions.
Well, Obamas safe.
Total cases statewide climb to 215There seems to be an increase in viruses/bacteria going on across the country. In LA, it's West Nile, in Vermont, encephalytis, in Yosemite, it's hantavirus.
...The death toll from the virus so far this year stands at 10.
Louisiana's health department says the state is experiencing its highest number of West Nile cases in years.
Then there's the flesh-eating bacteria.
Anecdotally, in the past, I've had the usual reactions to mosquito bites, but the other day, the back of my hand became inflamed and swollen for half the day after a mosquito bite from the night before. And this has happened a few times now after getting bit (not every time, just periodically).
that’s the truth
Five affected in MA so far, alerts in Essex, Barnstable, Norfolk etc.
Babesiosis is on the rise as is Lyme... the hidden epidemic.
See undertheeightball by Andalusian films
Looks like the cold war and Rachel Carson’s b/s/ is coming “home to roost”
5 with EEE?
Cancel the ban on DDT!!!
Folks are dead and afflicted from EEE up North and 134 have died this season in the US from West Nile Virus and many more have suffered for weeks in hospitals, with 40% of WNV cases being here in Texas. .....Consider the (probably) tens of thousands in Africa and other countries who have died because of the ban on DDT and the proliferation of mosquitoes.
As a kid in the late 1940s, I would run with the other kids on my block behind the trucks that drove through the neighborhood fogging the whole area with DDT to kill mosquitoes. NONE of us ever became ill and almost every yard had large fruit and vegetable gardens (former Victory gardens ala WWII) and the DDT had no adverse effect on the food.
Sorry for being so wordy....
Ugh, dreadful. RIP.
Yeah, I've heard this from others, too. It didn't create the harm claimed, and its removal is leading to unnecessary illnesses and deaths.
So is Howard Dean of Vermont.... (Sigh)
I don’t know if you can build immunity to mozzie bites, but if that’s true, the thousands of bites I received from the little buggers since I was a child immunized me. There’s actually a strain of encephalitis named after the city where I grew up: La Crosse (Wi) Encephalitis. I don’t think the residents are real fond of that.
Thanks for the heads up.
I swat any mosquito I see before it bites me, but unfortunately you can’t get them all. Mosquito repellant helps, but also not always.
This has been around a long time. I had a cousin who died of it back in the 1960s, in Massachusetts. I don’t know if it’s getting more common.
A Georgia mother of two is in intensive care, battling flesh-eating bacteria. Desiree Alford thought she had a bad cold or the flu, but she soon learned it was much more serious, MyFoxAtlanta reported.
Alford's parents that say in addition to the flu-like symptoms, she had one small red spot that quickly grew. By the time they rushed her to the hospital, doctors had to do emergency surgery.
* * *
The Bagleys say they have no idea where she could have gotten the bacteria. She's a stay-at-home mother of two whose world revolves around 4-year-old Jermaine and 6-year-old Ashlynn.
Doctors have already removed two baseball-sized lumps of flesh and muscle.
I don’t think I’d be if I lived there either.
The bedbug epidemic spreading throughout the country is also a result of the ban on DDT. Last I read, bedbugs were virtually wiped out because of DDT and have gradually come back since its ban, and there is no legal pesticide that can kill them. They have to put an airtight tarp around a building and fill it with gas for a period of time. That’s expensive and can’t be done in big hotels or apartments where the bedbugs often thrive. Other than that, they have to try and blast anywhere they might be hiding with heat or cold air and hope it hits them. Exterminators probably don’t mind that, since enough probably survive to come back and require more paid visits from the exterminator.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.