Skip to comments.'Popcorn Lung' Lawsuit Nets $7.2M Award
Posted on 09/20/2012 6:42:48 AM PDT by SoFloFreeper
Wayne Watson's love of popcorn almost turned deadly after he developed respiratory problems in 2007 known as "popcorn lung."
Watson, a Denver native, says he ate about two bags of popcorn everyday for 10 years, and developed the rare disease possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn. On Wednesday, Watson won a $7.2 million verdict against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc., for his illness.
(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...
Just incredible. An unfair assault on another American business. Just plain stupid.
7300 bags of popcorn, $7.2M award?
$1000 per bag?
Whiskey Tango Oliver Mary God.
I've isolated the problem. If he consumed real popcorn that is poped in a pot with hot oil he'd be healthy AND have popcorn that tasted good.
This is a wierd world, for sure.
There’s a group of up to 12 people in Colorado who need a really hard slap across the face.
... and second-hand smoke from cigs causes more cancers than direct inhalation!!! Yeah, right!
They must have hired John Edwards to channel another little girl!
Addictions are now going for $7M for ten years. Self control $0.
And, therefore, what?
Actually, the chemicals in microwave popcorn are known to be hazardous.. For most people, they are not exposed to enough of it to be dangerous, and its effects are primarly a risk to folks who work in the factories making it. This guy clearly developed the problem, so its hard to argue that the product didn’t cause it.
I don’t know about you, but no microwave popcorn package I have ever seen mentions this risk, you only find out about the fact these chemicals cause health problems in large continuous exposure if you investigate it.
Seems to me, if he developed this condition, and he didn’t work in a manufacturing plant, he’s got a rather open and shut case.
OK, I’ll wager that eating that much of ANYTHING everyday for 10 years is dangerous.
That artificial butter crap must be recycled oil spill.
Especially with coconut oil.
See Post #10, the health risks from the chemicals in microwave popcorn are known and documented, OSHA if I am not mistaken even has safety protocols for manufacturers directly related to them in the manufacturing process. Most consumers never are exposed to them in enough quantities or frequency to cause any sort of issue, but since he developed the issues its hard to argue that the product wasn’t a cause.
I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits, but this is not one of them. You are correct.
I read somewhere that popcorn manufacturers have agreed to change their formulas sometime in the next few years to eliminate this hazard. So they know about this hazard, but are too cheap to do anything about it. Oh, and they didn't bother to warn the public.
Yep, the consumer was right about this one.
Cause: His eating two bags of microwave popcorn each day for ten years. Effect: Overexposure. I'm good with the jury finding him 99.99999% at fault and requiring him to pay the majority of the 'damages' to the public for his stupidity - oh, and the microwave popcorn maker can toss in a free case of product. Might even raise the product's status to 'contributing factor'. But to assign blame to the manufacturer only and steal money from the company? Just goes beyond any common sense.
I’m becoming more of a misanthrope every day. This guy should be an honorable mention for the Darwin Awards.
I love it when an armchair (or actual) lawyer starts pontificating about stuff. It reveals their heart along with their minds.
In your case, it seems that you are one of those that can't accept the fact that "sh*t happens". Every thing is something's or somebody's fault, and you are not responsible.
That sounds just like somebody (in)famous...
Flour needs to immediately be recalled, and huge warning labels need to be put on every bag, warning that the contents may be hazardous if inhaled in large quantities. It can lead to bacterial infections and lung disease. Manufacturers have known about this problem for over a hundred years and they have conspired to keep this knowledge hidden from the public. Every baker should be immediately awarded a 3 million dollar class action benefit.
Or at least open a window.
No rule should ever be made for the exception. No law, no lawsuit, nothing. The exception IS the exception.
I’d be of a completely different mind if this guy worked in the factory making the stuff and the company refused the use of at least a face mask. But this guy went out of his way to consistently overexpose himself.
The jury was wrong, once again, taking money from others to give to a complete idiot who did this to himself.
Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot, snacks are SUPPOSED to be eaten in moderation, and when you scald yourself or wreck your lungs doing stupid things, the fault lays with the idiot who did it.
Can’t wait for the ‘fire log’ lawsuits to start...