Skip to comments.Some Officials Were Concerned About Initial White House Push Blaming Benghazi Attack on Video
Posted on 09/27/2012 4:25:46 PM PDT by cdchik123
By Jake Tapper @jaketapper Find on FacebookFollow on Twitter Sep 27, 2012 6:13pm Some Administration Officials Were Concerned About Initial White House Push Blaming Benghazi Attack on Mob, Video Email 25 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print
Even before Defense Secretary Leon Panetta contradicted the initial story about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, today, Obama administration officials told ABC News they were concerned after the White House began pushing the line that the attack was spontaneous and not the work of terrorists.
Events were too uncertain, and suspicions had been aroused, officials said.
Panetta today said that the attack that killed four Americans on the anniversary of 9/11 was not only carried out by terrorists it was pre-meditated.
As we determined the details of what took place there and how that attack took place, Panetta told reporters, it became clear that there were terrorists who had planned that attack.
The White House first suggested the attack was spontaneous the result of an anti-Muslim video that incited mobs throughout the region.
Lets be clear, these protests were in reaction to a video that had spread to the region, White House press secretary Jay Carney said on September 14.
When ABC News pressed Carney on whether that included the Benghazi attack, in which U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American men were killed, Carney said, we certainly dont know. We dont know otherwise. We have no information to suggest that it was a preplanned attack.
(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...
Is Jake Tapper the only real journalist left in the MSM world?
This incident should cause even supporters of the president to begin to question this administration’s essential honesty.
Yes, the Obama Administration lied. They do that a lot.
I think he’s the only one left..he’s the only one that works for ABC News that actually has any integrity
Sounds like “nuanced” distancing from the SOS and CIC.
...more like Panetta, he was the only one who didn't push the video line. He probably knows a lot more too, since Odungo likes to remain in the dark with security. He can't be bother since in office, only attending 60% of the briefings
Could this be what the Obama people are trying to hide?
From the accounts (they had time to flee to the safe house), the victims had time to get on a sat-phone and let the State Dept. know they were under attack (especially since the journal of the Ambassador shows they were concerned). If they called, what was the State Dept. response??
Why is no one in the media (even Conservative media) asking:
"President Obama, did the victims or other personnel at the Consulate contact the State Department or other US Government agency after the attack began? And, if so, what was the response?
LZ_Bayonet~ “ ... the victims had time to get on a sat-phone and let the State Dept. know they were under attack (especially since the journal of the Ambassador shows they were concerned)... “
IF (!) there was a sat-phone call to the State Dept. , and Hillary and Company did nothing ... and it came out in public (or written in the journal) , there would be H*LL to PAY !!
The fact that the Zero went nighty-night 90 minutes after knowing about the attack , ... well , you saw what an outrage that started in the media . /s
“Defense Secretary Leon Panetta contradicted the initial story about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, today....”
TODAY ? 16 days after the fact .. !!
Those of us with internet knew the day after the attack from many sources , and photos the next day .
By the third day we had statements by Libyian security officer, an intercept message that security forces were told to stand down, and a statement by the Libyian President
Obozo commented about Romney that he (Obozo) chooses to AIM , and then SHOOT ~ and not shoot first .
A 16 day delay ( after 10 days of lying to the media and the public ) is so totally unexcuseable !
I’ve been seeing Jake Tapper on Fox lately. Maybe he’s moving?
Honestly, the MSM would ignore the story, or - under instructions from within the White House - concoct some story line that blamed the problem on a "prior administration." Where have you been the past three and a half years?
There is no such thing as a MSM. The DLEMM - Dominant Liberal Establishment Mass Media - does not reflect the mainstream so why refer to them as if they do? Don't drink the DLEMM kool aid.
The White House lied to the American public for two weeks about an Al Qaeda terrorist attack on us deliberately conducted on the anniversary of 9/11.
I really hope Romney emphasizes this during the debates...
Hey Jake, if you knew that then, why didn't you report it? Are you in the tank for Obama, or are you simply incompetent?
And yet, even with the exposure of this egregious LIE, Obama continues to cling to his absurd fallacy.
Lying becomes a pathology when the liar actually BELIEVES his own lies and expects others to, even when proven otherwise.
We knew the day of the attack. It wasn’t hard to figure out given that the place had been targeted not long before.
This is remindng me more and more of the movie Wag the Dog. They have to keep this investigation under wraps until after the election.
Sounds like Obama shot first and aimed later.
Now that this is “officially” a terrorist attack on Americans —
Is this the first “successful” Al Qaeda “terrorist” event since 9/11 that killed US civilians ???????????
Sorta splitting hairs, but....
Hey! Another first for Barry. Way to go, Barry.
To think that there would be terrorists who would actually plan an attack on 9/11....
“The White House first suggested the attack was spontaneous”
SO.... the White House spoke ‘stupidly’.