Skip to comments.Why have we failed to teach America's kids about the horrors of communism?
Posted on 09/28/2012 9:43:03 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
What do you think of this? So began a phone call from Todd Starnes of FoxNews Radio. Starnes called me for a comment on a shocking story: A band at a high school near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania performed a halftime show titled, St. Petersburg 1917, a musical commemoration of the Bolshevik Revolution, replete with hammers and sickles, military uniforms, and red flags.
No way, I responded. Are you sure this wasnt a joke, a parody?
It wasnt. And parents of the students arent laughing.
The superintendent of the school genuinely pleaded innocence. Its a representation of the time period in history, called St. Petersburg 1917, she said. I am truly sorry that somebody took the performance in that manner. I am. She continued: If anything is being celebrated its the music . Im just very sorry that it wasnt looked at as just a history lesson.
Well, as a history lesson, I give it a giant, red F.
To be fair to the superintendent, she sincerely doesnt seem to understand whats so bad about this incident, and why its in bad taste. In fact, therein is the basic problem: We have failed to teach the horrors of the Bolshevik Revolution specifically and of communism generally.
Those horrors include over 100 million corpses generated by communist governments, starting with the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia in 1917that is, St. Petersburg 1917. For perspective, 100 million is twice the combined deaths of World War I and II, the two deadliest conflicts in history. Even then, 100 million dead, which is the estimate provided by the seminal Harvard University Press work, "The Black of Book of Communism," is a conservative figure. The latest research claims that Mao Tse-Tung was responsible for the deaths of at least 70 million in China,
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Oh, they will learn.
We never truly defeated communism like we defeated the concept of NAZIISM and Japanese Imperialism
You will never get the evils from communism if you let the the children be taught by progressives (most teachers).
Why be surprised that we haven’t taught them the horrors of communism, when even now after 9/11, the wars, the attack on the Libyan Embassy which included the rape of our Ambassador we don’t even teach them the relevant horrors of Islam!
You have that right. I’m reading a book on socialism in today’s world and all of what we see in Europe was inflicted by former Soviet sympathizers (AKA Marxists). The dominant party in Sweden was formerly a chief ally of the communists, and before them the Nazis. Now we see the remnants of this sick ideology in the United States, in the form of TOTUS.
Because too many people thought “it couldn’t happen here”. But now it’s here.
Our public schools are to busy teaching how bad Capitalism is to worry about a problem with Communism!
What, you think Communists are going to teach the kids about the downsides of communism????
..because communist-leaners were allowed to be the educators in colleges, then public schools, they decided the curriculum and left out some important historic/unpleasant for them, details. The foxes were allowed in the hen house, so to speak.
They no longerteach American history, they do not teach about the three branches of government, they do not teach the Constitution or the Bil of Rights, they do not teach the reason for our founding or why we were different.
They teach Chinese history and how great the “Great Leap Forward” was.
That is what kids are being taught in school.
Probably because teaching the truth about communism
makes liberal teachers uncomfortable.
Because the Union organizers ARE Communists. They won’t take it well if teachers start laying out the facts about their religion (and Communism IS a religion...).
And because we can’t be “judgemental” about other countries and cultures, right?
Communists run the education system!
It would take too much valuable class time away from teaching about the "healthy" and "normal" practice of sodomy.
video Bill O'Reilly: "Communism is not a threat to us anymore." - 2009
I think he used to be a history teacher. In the video Beck is sounding the alarms about the radical Czars in this administration...
I'm sure we could consider some teachers "Community Organizers with a captive audience".
Communism has its tentacles tightly wrapped around the MSM, our educational system, court system, choice of immigrants and the dhimmocrap party.
All very important sections in our society.
While the GOP has its head stuck deep in the sand and is more interested in projecting itself as the respectable and upright party.
While in high school in 1975 I picked up at the local bookstore a paperback copy of Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago. From that time until now I have never been less than 100% committed anti-Communist. If there was one text to choose from to explain the tyranny that is the Communist state to American students this is the one I would choose.
I heard the tales of Nazi Germany first hand from my German mother. Many of her generation are gone or going fast. There’s no one left to explain what happened.
One thing she said recently is that your neighbor will be the one to fear. When push comes to shove and it’s a matter of whether you’re inside or out, they will chose the path of least resistance.
In my day, the schools were too busy teaching us about the evils of McCarthyism.
“Why have we failed to teach America’s kids about the horrors of communism?”
Because the teachers who are teaching the children are communists.
he nation has not failed to teach kids about communism. It has succeeded in not teaching kids about communism. There is a difference.
I’ve heard a lot about Nazis, but less about the beliefs of Fascism. It doesn’t seem like much has been written about it since WWII compared to the volumes written about Hitler. So, I don’t think fascism is dead by any means since most people don’t know how to identify it. When I was in grade school it was required that we watch Animal Farm and sit through holocaust studies, including a viewing of the films of the concentration camps that were made when US soldiers arrived. It all made a lasting impression on me, plus some nightmares that I still get sometimes. Nobody ever told me about it until then and I’m still astonished that people are capable of such cold blooded cruelty and heartlessness when they aspire to be gods over the rest of humanity.
This President is a master of such misleading semantic maneuvers, coupling that skill with an engaging smile and a folksy, sometimes preacher-like delivery, knowing that those who came before him have prepared a gullible audience, especially Partisan audiences, even among college and university graduates.
The following piece could help Americans to evaluate policies, proposals, and legislation:
"1. Does this legislation or idea increase, or decrease, individual freedom and creativity?
"2. Does this legislation or idea increase, or decrease, the power of some citizens over other citizens?
"3. Does this legislation or idea recognize that the persons who will exercise the power are themselves imperfect human beings?
"4. Does this legislation or idea recognize that government is incapable of creating wealth?
"5. Does this legislation or idea authorize taking from some what belongs to them, and giving it to others to whom it does not belong?
If 'thou shalt not steal' is a valid commandment, can we assume that it is meant to apply only to individuals and not to government (which is made up of individuals), even if those persons in power pass laws which sanction such redistribution of the wealth of others?'
"6. Does this legislation or idea encourage, or discourage, the very highest level of morality and responsibility from the individual?
. . .when government makes actions 'legal' by some citizens at the expense of other citizens, the result may be behavior which would not be considered possible by individuals acting alone.
"7. Does this legislation or idea propose that the 'government' do something which the individual cannot do without committing a crime?"**
**7 principles drawn from James R. Evans book, "America's Choice: Twilight's Last Gleaming or Dawn's Early Light?" and reprinted in a Stedman Corporation (Asheboro, NC) booklet entitled "I'm Only One, What Can I Do?"
Fascism looks a lot like government running GM indirectly to tell the truth
Many of the young commie radicals from the 60's who spent their college days occupying or burning down admin offices organized a drive to infiltrate public education with radical leftist teachers to promote socialism and denigrate capitalism. They did a good job.
Meanwhile, we who fought it all the way trying to keep education focused on truth and traditional American values were ignored.
Goddamn the NEA.
Let’s get this clear. The teachers are part of Teacher’s Unions. There is no middle ground when public employees can organize against the people and dictate policy. Teaching philosophy and curriculum can and will indoctrinate our children and make Nikita Khrushchev’s threat, “Your Children Will Bury You” a reality.
This is a wake up moment for the people and this election will determine our children’s future. There won’t be a second chance.
with my own kids in public high schools, it seems to me the standard line in public schools is that Communism is “just another school of thought or way to organize society” along with all the others.
If there were millions dead in the USSR or China, it was because Stalin and Mao were bad guys.
Cause we naively thought it was dead and over with after the USSR Going Out of Business Sale.
Cause we naively thought it was dead and over with after the USSR Going Out of Business Sale.
Such a remark reflects a remarkable lack of objective study, awareness, and depth of understanding of the well-documented strategies of the worldwide movement which may have changed its language and face, but not its goals and intentions.
As a parent, one would hope that a supposed opinion leader like himself might, in the interest of his own grandchildren's future, use his research resources and abilities to expose the players and their strategies, and help to turn back the certain tide of the movement which threatens the future of their liberty, and that of millions throughout the world.
What a waste of talent is he does not!
The public schools are too busy teaching about the joys of communism!!
I agree, thankfully the neighbors on both sides of me are older HMong that came in the first wave asylum seekers, I believe that they will be an early warning system. If I see them packing up I will follow suit.
Who is this "we" you speak of?
The union-controlled, government-run education system has failed in this and many other ways.
Why would the communists running the education system want to teach anything bad about communism?
Paging David Horowitz! David Horowitz, please pick up a white courtesy phone. (He wrote the flippin' book on the left and communism in education... Radical Son)
You’re right. That’s me ;and I was born right after WWII
Based on the high school experiences of my own kids, the horrors of communism to date were summed up thus: It hasn’t been tried by the right people, yet.
And, now,” We are the ones we have been waiting for.”
My neighbor comes from China. The ‘Cultural Revolution’ was not that long ago either.
1) in the realm of economics and capitalism, the thought of most people continues to bear the essential characteristics of the mentality of the Dark Ages or of primitive peoples in general, where the good spirit (the government) must protect the masses from the evil spirits (businessmen, capitalists, and big business.
2) personal observations of people about economics are unscientific and based on a narrow range of experience, and their conclusions are based on emotions rather than reason.
3) conclusions, based on reason and reality, such as the benefits from pursuit of one's own rational self interests, contradict long cherished moral and ethical doctrines such as altruism, self sacrifice, and selflessness.
4) people are motivated by immediate interests rather than long term interests and are unable to accept many of the teachings of laissez-faire capitalism.
5) some people are emotionalists and have an antipathy to reason and logic in general.
6) some people believe that science and value must be kept separated. They don't believe that pro-capitalist economics can be both true and good at the same time.
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.