Skip to comments.Tuesday's Debate: Obama Tips Hand?...Will Slam Romney on Bain?
Posted on 10/14/2012 11:31:08 AM PDT by CincyRichieRich
As President Obama began to hunker down at a plush resort here for three full days of debate prep, his campaign team signaled the incumbent may steal a page from Vice President Joe Biden and show a more aggressive tone in Tuesday's second face-to-face showdown with Republican Mitt Romney.
"Gov. Romney has been making pitches all of his life and he knows how to say what people want to hear whether that was during his time at Bain or during the dozens of town halls he did during the primary," said Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Saturday. "His running mate also left him vulnerable on a number of issues -- admitting there was a $5 trillion tax cut, after he denied it, but again failing to explain how they would pay for it, leaving women worried about their ability to make choices about their own health care and failing to articulate their plan for winding down our presence in Afghanistan."
It's significant that Psaki previewed the president's next clash with Romney with an immediate mention of his time at Bain, a word Obama never mentioned during the first presidential debate, in Denver.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/14/obama-camp-tips-hand-hints-president-will-attack-romney-on-bain/#ixzz29Icalifb
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Cool, the Tigers have done something great on the nights of the last two debates.
It's a head fake.
And how many successful businesses have you started and lead Mr. Obama?
As long as Odumbo does not have his teleprompter, it’s still advantage Romney.
Obama is a blithering idiot who thinks more highly of himself than he ought.
Romney’s response: “Show us your Collage records”.
Ih he attacks Mitt to his face with lies about Bain, Mitt will knock the ball out of the park. He built Bain. It has a wonderful reputation with a 90% record of success in helping companies. Mitt will just talk about those successes.
It’s a town hall style debate. Unless one of Zer0’s drones (plants) brings it up, he won’t need to worry about it.
Go ahead Obama. When Romney gets through mopping the floor with you, it will be perfectly obvious how clueless you are about big business.
The questions in the town hall are supposed to come from the audience of "undecided." I am sure it will be sown with a number of democratic plants. Romney needs to be polite to them no matter how rude they are, but if Obama tries to warp one of their questions into an attack on Bain, Romney should feel free to crush him, with a smile on his face.
The only thing keeping Obama up in the polls is his “Likeability” Romney should pray that Obama pulls a Biden. Obama plays the punk, Romney responses with a smile and a quip and the election is over.
* * Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund ($2.2 million)
* * Indiana Public Retirement System ($39.3 million)
* * Iowa Public Employees Retirement System ($177.1 million)
* * The Los Angeles Fire and Police Pension System ($19.5 million)
* * Maryland State Retirement and Pension System ($117.5 million)
* * Public Employees Retirement System of Nevada ($20.3 million)
* * State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio ($767.3 million)
* * Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement System ($231.5 million)
* * Employees Retirement System of Rhode Island ($25 million)
* * San Diego County Employees Retirement Association ($23.5 million)
* * Teacher Retirement System of Texas ($122.5 million) * Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System ($15 million)
Show us your Collage records.
Obama is an Artsy-Fartsy? I didn’t know he made collages! 8^)
Bain is a losing subject for Zero. Romney will be able to emphasize his business acumen and his experience to bring successful, job creating, private sector business strategies to America and contrast to 0bama’s failure to do anything but riddle us with few jobs and trillions more in debt with a government based plan to regulate the economy.
0bama picks losers.
LOL @ hunkering down.....you don't need a "plush resort" to do that. The fool is on the golf course again.
"It's significant that Psaki previewed the president's next clash with Romney with an immediate mention of his time at Bain, a word Obama never mentioned during the first presidential debate, in Denver."
Looks like Jen Psaki is proving to be an(other) embarrassment for the Obama team. She's the genius who, the day after the first Romney-Obama debate, refused to admit her boss had a less than stellar night, LOL.
I could be wrong about this, but I’m guessing that at Bain Romney faced many situations where the firm invested in companies that had been poorly managed and part of Bain’s job was to explain to manager’s where they went wrong and determine if the old managers would have any role going forward. I assume many of the managers were defensive, shifted blame, and lied. Guessing debating Obama is on the same order. . . and I think Romney is really in a comfort zone here.
Right. Romney spent his life creating wealth. Obama has creating nothing. He is a destroyer and a thief.
Good point. Romney can also just counter with GM. What Obama did with GM, firing people, having them build factories in other countries, giving preferential treatment to unions and screwing bondholders is no better than what he claims Romney did at Bain. At least Bain used private money.
Romney must be bold, any response should first and foremost feature his own agenda, dire state of current affairs and own plans and ideas. Never start with explaining, only feature that as an illustration and a side dish to the main course.
Obama’s underlying point is that Bush made it so bad, no one would deal with it any better than Obama. Always state that everyone before Obama did much better than him, incl Reagan that dealt with the market crash of 1987, inherited a horrible economy in 1980 and miserable state of the foreign affairs.
Barack Obama Quotes:
"If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from."
"If you cant beat your opponents ideas, you distort those ideas & maybe make some up"
"You make a big election about small things."
I wonder if he made the children who bear his name.
Romney will pretty much own the debate if Obama tries bringing up Bain for three reasons:
1) Romney can explain where responsibility is due regarding Bain. Independents will like this because plenty of them aren’t enthusiastic about some of the extreme dogma of “who to blame”. It’s a fact that a great deal of responsibility from the success/failure of businesses under contract from Bain lies on the businesses themselves, they signed on, they were responsible after Bain’s contract expired.
2) Romney can explain the genuine exaggeration of outsourcing. Plenty of low income jobs exist, and proof of citizenship via social security card is a regular standard. The truth is, low income jobs depend on fair competition and private sector businesses.
3) Bain’s success depends on the success of the business under contract. It’s not in any of Bain’s best interests for a business to fail because that translates into a bad reputation and lost money for the firm.
Obama can and will sound great to the fanatical left, but his problem is that this isolates him from independents and from the right.
In summary, unless Romney acts like Biden, he is on the road to winning. The only question is how large a margin
I think you're right. I don't think Romney could have done what he did as well as he did if he couldn't smell BS from miles away. And deal with it.
As for a supposed focus on Bain, Romney must have answers to anything he could be asked about Bain down so pat he can recite it in his sleep.
Ad hominem will no longer work.
I also think it’s a head-fake. I look for the following:
1) Obama will try to scare America by painting Romney as a war-monger, sure to lead us to nuclear apocalypse. He’ll try to pin Romney down on how to avoid end-of-world scenario with Romney’s approach on Iran.
2) Might bring up Romney statement on Benghazi as irresponsible or bad timing.
3) He’ll go after the 47%.
Romney should answer:
1) He would take the security of this country seriously and actually attend his daily briefings. According to a study by the Government Accountability Institute, Obama failed to attend a single Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) in the week leading up to the recent anniversary of 9/11.
2) Re: statement on Benghazi, he made a responsible statement that turned out to be the correct one. He should say that he WILL NOT go to Vegas in the middle of a foreign crisis.
3) On the 47%: Quote Obama: “And it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”
Make the point that 75% of America are Christians and 30% are gun-owners thus Obama dissed 105% with his statement.
Obamagabe thinks that just by mentioning Bain that that will clinch the debate for him.
“Obamagabe thinks that just by mentioning Bain that that will clinch the debate for him.”
He probably remembers a meeting sometime when someone said “Bain is Romney’s weak spot!”
Obama has a political glass jaw. A couple of well placed political jabs by Romney and Obama will be looking for the towel.
I think that Romney will shove any mention of Bain right up Obamagabe’s you know what .... rhetorically speaking of course.
I just hope the GOP is smart enough to sow their own Republican plants with questions to up end BO
I hate these so called townhall debates. Way too much opportunity for the fix.
I hope Romney is prepared for everything and anything. I can see it now, some African American woman stands up and claims her husband is in the marines and according to Romney they are part of the 47% that he doesn’t care about. ‘Why don’t you care about us Mr. Governor...why?”
If Obama manages to make the debate All About Romney, then he will have succeeded, no matter how well Romney parries. O’s got to distract from his own disastrous record of performance.
Lots of new stuff coming out about Obama...
The trick is to be able to answer the question you wish the town hall plant had asked rather than the one they did ask.
Newt was the master of the smooth segue. If he were asked what color his shorts were he could smoothly segue to Obama’s failed policy in Libya and the lives it cost.
I hope Mitt can do the same, he will need to.
There is no law that says you must answer the gotcha question you are presented with... just walk all over the question and the moderator. Mitt should also always ask a direct, loaded question of Obama at the end of each answer.
This would seriously piss Obama off as he would be forced to respond, he could not let it just hang there.
Obama, on the other hand, has NO message to stay on.
Will 0bama be able to engage in a normal debate or will he look at his podium (probably wishing it was his Teleprompter) all night,again...?
Anyhow, all Romeny has to do is hold his own and he’s got this in the bag.
If o’bidens brings up Bain, here’s what Romney will do to him.
teleprompter or not advantage Romney....no question about it, he loves debates where 0 despises them.
Let him bring it and Romney can educate him and America how the economy works. Tell them about gas being 1.80 when he arrived and 4.25 now and how that is a tax on everyone. This is a huge opportunity for Romney.
roger that Art good post! not only that if he thinks so highly of himself why would he need Klintoon lifting him up at the Convention?
Exactly right. I wish this campaign had more prominently talked about how Romney’s entire life has been to create wealth and opportunity for everyone from the guy who sweeps the floor at Staples to his own family - that’s the American dream. In contrast, Obama has never ventured out of the shadows of government and tax-supported institutions who exist on the earnings of people like Romney.
The contrast could not be more stark. Romney is the anti-Obama in every way, but that message did not get out as well as it should have.
Bring it on, jack@$$ !! I’m going to have my popcorn and Coke Zero ready for this.
I suspect nobama will pound Romney on the $5 trillion tax cut.
Romney needs to figure out a way to convincingly explain how that tax cut will work in less than 30 seconds so that even the “low information” voters can understand and appreciate it.
I predict that, besides Bain, Romney’s wealth will be on trial. I hope that Romney has data about the Kennedys, Roosevelts, Kerrys in his head for a good comeback. I’ll never understand why it’s a sin for Romney to have earned his wealth, but perfectly OK for the Kennedys to have gained it illegally. But... do the dems ever make sense?