Skip to comments.Microsoft Surface RT entirely sold out in the United States
Posted on 10/22/2012 8:25:23 AM PDT by SmokingJoe
While the base-level 32GB version of the Surface RT tablet from Microsoft sold out online in less than 24 hours after launch last week, as of yesterday all versions of the tablet have been moved into sold-out status.
The backorder for the 32GB version without an included keyboard is now up to three weeks, while the 32GB version with keyboard and the 64GB model (which also includes a keyboard) are now on up to a two-week back order according to shipping estimates on Surface.com.
Microsoft is planning to build between three and five million Surface tablets this quarter, on par with the estimates for rival tablets from Google and Amazon. If sales continue to be strong throughout the holiday season, as pre-orders indicate they will be, Apple stands to lose a healthy portion of their dwindling tablet market share even if the iPad Mini is well received by Apple loyalists. Currently, Apple has lost nearly 40% market share in the tablet space within a year to hold only 52% of the market, with Android holding the remaining 48%.
Microsoft Windows 7 powered Slates hold less than 1% of the total tablet market, but Microsoft's share is bound to increase drastically after the Surface tablet begins shipping (and arriving on doorsteps) on October 26, 2012. While Microsoft will most likely not reach double-digit market share through Q4 2012, that milestone may be possible as early as the first quarter of 2013 with continued sales of the Surface RT tablet and the introduction of the Surface Pro
(Excerpt) Read more at microsoft-news.com ...
How can something “no one knows how to use” supposedly, on a tablet that we were told was “too expensive”, sell out?
Glad to hear it. Whatever you think about MS, competition is always a good thing.
This is kind of what I see as well.
Android is a nightmare for IT because so many device manufacturers don’t allow instant updating to the current flavor of the OS.
The best thing about Surface is that Windows 8 is Windows 8 is Windows 8.
This is true. Apple missed the enterprise space in 1980-1984 and is missing it now.
Kudos to Apple for innovation, but they may have peaked for a while.
These pre-orders are not enterprise sales. They are consumer sales to individuals. But your bigger point is well taken. However, its the full Windows 8(in its laptop,desktop and tablet devices) which will dominate the enterprise, not the Windows RT version,which is what we are talking about here.
This is what Windows 8 was designed for. Those big, ugly substitutes for the old icons and desktop are designed to be quickly seen and easily touched on a small screen. It’s only on a full sized computer screen that you will hear those complaints.
And I believe you can set up a full-sized laptop or desktop with the old MS icons and stuff, if you choose. MS may not do it directly or easily with Windows 8, but Dell and the other computer makers will offer that choice, I’m pretty sure.
Microsoft has a history of being behind the innovation curve, but when they realize they screwed up and didn't see the market trends, they can also turn around and become tremendous competitors.
This MS Surface tablet is an attractive product and I am waiting to see the expert and user reviews as to how it answers one’s needs for a handy, mobile tablet.
I like the idea that it has a mobile version of Windows 8 and can handle a lot of applications that run on Windows. One is not likely to do a lot of word processing or spread sheets from scratch on a tablet, but it would be nice to call them up or tweak them for a presentation. Does the tablet version take regular Windows applications or does it need ones that run on Win8RS? I’m a hog and would like more storage than 32 gb, can that be done via USB?
Mobility is becoming so important. I have an 11.2 inch screen notebook with USB, LAN and HDMI connectors that is great for the road and nice to use at home sitting in an easy chair.