Skip to comments.The 20 Best Quotes From Romney and Ryan In The 2012 Debates
Posted on 10/26/2012 4:39:46 AM PDT by Kaslin
20) I can tell you that if you were to elect President Obama, you know what youre going to get. Youre going to get a repeat of the last four years. We just cant afford four more years like the last four years. -- Mitt Romney
19) We dont have to settle for what were going through. We dont have to settle for gasoline at four bucks. We dont have to settle for unemployment at a chronically high level. We dont have to settle for 47 million people on food stamps. We dont have to settle for 50 percent of kids coming out of college not able to get work. We dont have to settle for 23 million people struggling to find a good job. -- Mitt Romney
If I become president, Ill get America working again. I will get us on track to a balanced budget. The president hasnt. I will. Ill make sure we can reform Medicare and Social Security to preserve them for coming generations. The president said he would. He didnt. -- Mitt Romney
18) Well, (China) sells us about this much stuff every year (Big). And we sell them about this much stuff every year (Small). So its pretty clear who doesnt want a trade war. And theres one going on right now that we dont know about. Its a silent one and theyre winning. -- Mitt Romney
17) I will not reduce the share paid by high-income individuals. I know that you and your running mate keep saying that, and I know its a popular thing to say with a lot of people, but its just not the case. Look, I got five boys. Im used to people saying something thats not always true, but just keep on repeating it and ultimately hoping Ill believe it -- (scattered laughter) -- but that is not the case, all right? I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans. -- Mitt Romney
16) Was it a good idea to spend taxpayer dollars on electric cars in Finland, or on windmills in China? Was it a good idea to borrow all this money from countries like China and spend it on all these various different interest groups? -- Paul Ryan
15) The presidents policies throughout the Middle East began with an apology tour and pursuing a strategy of leading from behind and this strategy is unraveling before our very eyes. -- Mitt Romney
14) The greatest failure weve had with regards to gun violence in some respects is what is known as Fast and Furious. Which was a program under this administration, and how it worked exactly I think we dont know precisely, where thousands of automatic, and AK-47 type weapons were given to people that ultimately gave them to drug lords.
They used those weapons against their own citizens and killed Americans with them. And this was a program of the government. For what purpose it was put in place, I cant imagine. But its one of the great tragedies related to violence in our society which has occurred during this administration. Which I think the American people would like to understand fully. It has been investigated to a degree, but the administration has carried out executive privilege to prevent all of the information from coming out.
Id like to understand who it was that did this, what the idea was behind it and why it led to the violence and thousands of guns going to Mexican drug lords. -- Mitt Romney
13) I couldnt agree more about going forward, but I certainly dont want to go back to the policies of the last four years. -- Mitt Romney
12) Mr. President, youre entitled, as the president, to your own airplane and to your own house, but not to your own facts -- (laughter) -- all right? -- Mitt Romney
11) Id just as soon not have the government telling me what kind of health care I get. Id rather be able to have an insurance company. If I dont like them, I can get rid of them and find a different insurance company. But people will make their own choice. -- Mitt Romney
10) Attacking me is not an agenda. -- Mitt Romney
9) Mr. President, the reason I call it an apology tour is because you went to the Middle East and you flew to Egypt and to Saudi Arabia and to Turkey and Iraq. And by the way, you skipped Israel, our closest friend in the region, but you went to the other nations. And by the way, they noticed that you skipped Israel. And then in those nations and on Arabic TV you said that America had been dismissive and derisive. You said that on occasion America had dictated to other nations. Mr. President, America has not dictated to other nations. We have freed other nations from dictators. -- Mitt Romney
8) Look, did they come in and inherit a tough situation? Absolutely. But were going in the wrong direction. Look at where we are. The economy is barely limping along. Its growing at 1.3 percent. Thats slower than it grew last year and last year was slower than the year before. Job growth in September was slower than it was in August, and August was slower than it was in July. Were heading in the wrong direction; 23 million Americans are struggling for work today; 15 percent of Americans are living in poverty today. This is not what a real recovery looks like. -- Paul Ryan
7) Mr. President, have you looked at your pension? Let me give you some advice. Look at your pension. You also have investments in Chinese companies. You also have investments outside the United States. You also have investments through a Caymans trust. -- Mitt Romney
6) What things would I cut from spending? Well, first of all, I will eliminate all programs by this test -- if they dont pass it: Is the program so critical its worth borrowing money from China to pay for it? And if not, Ill get rid of it. Obamacare is on my list. -- Mitt Romney
5) Weve got to tackle this debt crisis before it tackles us. The president likes to say he has a plan. He gave a speech. We asked his budget office, Can we see the plan? They sent us to the press secretary. He gave us a copy of the speech. We asked the Congressional Budget Office, Tell us what President Obamas plan is to prevent a debt crisis. They said, Its a speech, we cant estimate speeches. You see, thats what we get in this administration speeches but were not getting leadership. -- Paul Ryan
4) Barack Obama: ...And part of the way to do it is to not give tax breaks to companies that are shipping jobs overseas. Right now you can actually take a deduction for moving a plant overseas. I think most Americans would say that doesnt make sense.
Mitt Romney: The second topic, which is you said you get a deduction for getting a plant overseas. Look, Ive been in business for 25 years. I have no idea what youre talking about. Maybe I need to get a new accountant.
3) Mr. Romney: We also believe in maintaining for individuals the right to pursue their dreams, and not to have the government substitute itself for the rights of free individuals. And what were seeing right now is, in my view is a trickle-down government approach which has government thinking it can do a better job than free people pursuing their dreams. And its not working. And the proof of that is 23 million people out of work. The proof of that is one out of six people in poverty. The proof of that is weve gone from 32 million on food stamps to 47 million on food stamps. The proof of that is that 50 percent of college graduates this year cant find work.
President Obama: (Inaudible)
Mr. Romney: We know that the path were taking is not working. Its time for a new path.
2) We cant expect entrepreneurs and businesses large and small to take their life savings or their companies money and invest in America if they think were headed to the road to Greece. And thats where were going right now unless we finally get off this spending and borrowing binge. -- Mitt Romney
1) Im not going to wear rose-colored glasses when it comes to Russia or Mr. Putin, and Im certainly not going to say to him, Ill give you more flexibility after the election. After the election hell get more backbone. -- Mitt Romney
Mr. President, youre entitled, as the president, to your own airplane and to your own house, but not to your own facts -- (laughter) -- all right? -- Mitt Romney
My favorite was when he said “That is a statement not a question” whereupon Obama shut up and sat down.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.