Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Saudi Arabia Deepens Cooperation With India
AFPC South Asia Security Monitor ^ | 10/29/2012 | Jeff M. Smith and Amanda Sawit, eds

Posted on 10/30/2012 9:17:08 PM PDT by bruinbirdman

Ties between Saudi Arabia and India have grown closer in recent months, a development that has implications for Pakistan. In its latest move to boost relations, Saudi Arabia handed over an alleged member of the militant Indian Mujahideen wanted for attacks in Indian cities. This follows a trend of two other incidents in which Saudi Arabia extradited alleged militants linked to terrorist acts; India and Saudi Arabia signed an extradition treaty in 2010. The most notable turnover involved a member of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistan-based group implicated in the 2008 Mumbai attacks. While Pakistan is Saudi Arabia’s traditional ally, some see the recent drift towards India as a counter to Pakistan’s increasingly visible inability to handle its militant proxies. (The Wall Street Journal, October 23, 2012)


TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs; Israel; News/Current Events; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: india; iran; israel; pakistan; saudiarabia; waronterror

1 posted on 10/30/2012 9:17:14 PM PDT by bruinbirdman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: bruinbirdman

They’re both flakey.


2 posted on 10/30/2012 9:35:02 PM PDT by DIRTYSECRET
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: DIRTYSECRET

What about America, the main country which propped, continues to prop, and aid Pakistan, despite its open pro-terrorism stance? Terminally flaky?


3 posted on 10/30/2012 9:52:03 PM PDT by James C. Bennett (An Australian.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: James C. Bennett

A relationship with Pakistan falls under the category of “necessary evil”. Most countries try to avoid dealing with the Muslim terrorist state.


4 posted on 10/30/2012 10:16:50 PM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi

No. Aiding and enabling evil (Pakistan) does not make the enabler any less evil.


5 posted on 10/30/2012 10:20:09 PM PDT by James C. Bennett (An Australian.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: James C. Bennett

> No. Aiding and enabling evil (Pakistan) does not make the
> enabler any less evil.

Unfortunately a lot of countries, including Australia, have relationships (military, sports, cultural) with terrorist Pakistan. I agree that Pakistan needs to be isolated.


6 posted on 10/31/2012 12:22:17 AM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Berosus; bigheadfred; Bockscar; ColdOne; Convert from ECUSA; ...

Thanks bruinbirdman. This is a Saudi move to preempt any big moves by Iran; it also mirrors longterm moves by Israel; it also indicates that the Saudis want more influence in an up-and-coming power with a substantial fraction of the Earth’s human population; it also suggests the Saudis are picking a winner for the future.


7 posted on 10/31/2012 4:05:11 AM PDT by SunkenCiv (https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi; James C. Bennett
What needs to happen is:
  1. pakistan is to be de-fanged of its nukes -- they are a threat not only to India but the world at large
  2. Baluchistan should be ripped away and given to Iran or made a separate state with Sistan-e-Balochistan
  3. the North-West Frontier province should be handed back to Afghanistan, wiping out the Durand line
  4. The Punjabis, Sindhis and Muhajirs will keep fighting

8 posted on 10/31/2012 9:03:36 AM PDT by Cronos (**Marriage is about commitment, cohabitation is about convenience.**)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: SunkenCiv
The Sauds see everything through the prism of Wahabiism

Pakistan is Sunni and increasingly Salafist.

Saudi is looking at radicalising (and converting to Salafiism) the moslems of India. this is not anti-Pakistan

9 posted on 10/31/2012 9:10:07 AM PDT by Cronos (**Marriage is about commitment, cohabitation is about convenience.**)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi
Terms like “necessary evil” are usually thrown as a lame defense to justify what eventually turns out to be a huge blunders. No “evil” can be that necessary.....unless you are a dumbf*** stupid American politician who sold out on his ideals for political convenience. And when things backfire....(and they always do) they throw these kinda lame words in their defense. People buy it and the cycle continues.
10 posted on 10/31/2012 10:24:51 AM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: ravager

I used the term “necessary evil” as an observation, whether or not politicians use it to justify ideology or actions.


11 posted on 10/31/2012 10:39:23 AM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Cronos; James C. Bennett

> What needs to happen is: pakistan is to be de-fanged of its nukes...

Hopefully in such a way that Pakistan is convinced that the nukes, now duds, still work.


12 posted on 10/31/2012 10:43:21 AM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi

And I am saying there is no such thing.


13 posted on 10/31/2012 3:34:08 PM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: ravager

> [”necessary evil”] And I am saying there is no such thing.

Necessary Evil, also referred to as Plane #91, was the name of a B-29 Superfortress (B-29-45-MO 44-86291, Victor number 91) participating in the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessary_Evil_(aircraft)


14 posted on 10/31/2012 3:38:54 PM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi

Your point being?


15 posted on 10/31/2012 3:44:23 PM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: ravager

That “necessary evil” as a term exists and is used in more than one way.


16 posted on 10/31/2012 4:10:54 PM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi

Only by slimy politicians who have sold their souls and people who buy into their narrative on pure face value.


17 posted on 10/31/2012 6:31:48 PM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: ravager

> Only by slimy politicians who have sold their souls and
> people who buy into their narrative on pure face value.

So you’d call President Reagan a “slimy politician” because he used the term “necessary evil”? Here’s a news item:

Budget deficits ‘necessary evil’, Reagan asserts

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2199&dat=19820303&id=v5cyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xOcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6270,316064


18 posted on 10/31/2012 9:23:38 PM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi

I would just dismiss that as mere play of words. Nothing else. If something is necessary it can’t be evil. And if it is truly evil don’t do it an call it “necessary”. By the way a “budget deficit” while unsavoury is not “evil”. There’s nothing evil about a budget deficit. The evil we are discussing here is allying with rogue regime and calling it necessary.

Nice try on your part to duck behind Reagan’s word. You got anymore straws to toss?


19 posted on 11/02/2012 10:52:19 AM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: ravager

Heh, admit it: you insulted President Reagan. If you can’t then there’s no point in discussing this issue here. Now go ahead, have the last word.


20 posted on 11/02/2012 11:02:58 AM PDT by Jyotishi (Seeking the truth, a fact at a time.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi
Lol. Yeah right, I insulted Reagan. Whatever you want to believe.

So who are you going to pick next time to hide behind? The founding fathers?

21 posted on 11/02/2012 3:12:21 PM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: Jyotishi
Characters like you are not too difficult to figure out trust me. You cant defend your own argument with sound logic so..... pimp out Reagan. Make every argument look like an attack on Reagan even when there is absolutely no connection whatsoever.

Give it a rest.

22 posted on 11/02/2012 3:25:22 PM PDT by ravager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson