Skip to comments.Question: Ideas about how to realistically "Go Galt"?
Posted on 11/07/2012 2:53:04 AM PST by SoFloFreeper
I plan to cancel cable tv, quit the health club, am putting off purchases that I had planned IF Romney had won.
Am happy to hear ideas...I have to say my spouse was literally in tears last night, thinking about what dangers we face (not just as a family but as a society and a nation). We prayed together, asking God to guide us. HE knew this was going to happen, and HE can use this for HIS glory.
We just want to be as wise as possible with the resources God has provided.
So we welcome your input.
I hear you.
The states are broke too, and dependent on Federal grants to fund basic services.
This is a great thread.
I am in health insurance. When Obamacare passed, my was cut by 38%. We laid off half of our field force, 30% of our administrative staff, and around 20% of our management... a total of nearly 4000 people nationally.
When Obamacare is fully instituted on 1/1/14, the brokerage/producer side of the industry will be shut off. That’s close to 425,000 people nationally going from $100K-plus per year to being out of work.
As a result of last night’s election, my wife and I are establishing a strict budget for the first time in our adult professional careers. I will be letting all of my brokerage employees go as of the first of the year, and they will know why: overregulation, overtaxation, and Obamacare. I provide insurance to a large pool of doctors, specialists, and nurses, and roughly 40% of them have announced plans to retire early, practice offshore, or change careers.
I do not recognize this country anymore, and I have no desire to participate in the political or economic processes from this point forward, or at least until we can put together a majority conservative coalition, rather than Socialism Lite.
We’ll be reducing our financial footprint by at least 30%: cable, gym memberships, cell phones, lawn services and family perks like dinner out and traveling across New England to see family. As I will no longer be self-employed, my taxes will be cut by nearly 15%.
God help this country, and help us all.
My doctor told me he was thinking of moving to Australia if the election didn’t go right...this was about 4 months ago.
I told him I didn’t blame him. He is a cardiologist, Jewish, and NOT happy with Obamacare.
Things are going to get very, very bad.
And it is the fault of the Zombies.
Ping for later
I ditched satellite 3 months ago and do not miss it one bit. Netflix has been plenty along with the few shows I watch being available online, and purchasing The Walking Dead season on ITunes. I have subscription to The Blaze and that has more content then I have time to watch or listen to even.
Correction Western Slope of CO is blood red Romney carried Mesa County 65%
Okay, this morning I just found ANOTHER $20 A MONTH that I will no longer spend: I took a realistic look at the value of one of our vehicles. One is quite old, and so I dropped the collision/comprehensive coverage.
If you have an old car, that may be worth doing.
Anyway, my economic footprint is now down $247 a month...or $2,964 a year. Unfortunately, I didn’t get an opportunity to tell the insurance company WHAT MOTIVATED me to drop some of my coverage.
Obama’s economy just got a little smaller since Tuesday, and I am NOT finished yet in finding ways to reduce my contribution to his disaster!!
Count on it!
train yourself [if needed] on a high-needs job.
they’ll take you.
I’d also add, buy a shortwave radio and police scanner. It would be a good idea to get a CB radio at least, amateur radio is better but it is good to have both. A ham radio license is much easier to get now.
“obama fully expects the House of Rep to cave”
I believe they’re already started to cave.
All retirement investments on behalf of all state and corporate employees must be invested in US Treasuries. There. Done. Maybe even by executive order.
1. No TV at all. There isn't one in the house and hasn't been for years.
2. Also no music. No stereos, iPods, nothing that makes noise, basically, except this little laptop. I grew up on a farm with very old grandparents who liked it quiet, so this is just my nature.
3. No landline. My cell is actually on my sister's family plan, she was able to add me for $10 a month.
4. No internet of my own, my landlady next door just gave me the password and lets me tap onto hers.
5. No computer of my own, this laptop is issued by my employer, and I have to turn it back in periodically. When that happens, I simply don't go online unless I go to the public library and spend an hour there catching up on emails from family.
6. No gym membership. Actually, since I quit going to the gym a lot of my joint pain has lessened. I was probably doing everything wrong anyway. LOL!
7. No car. I walk or ride public transportation and have for over 3 years now. It's not always pleasant but I'm saving a ton of money. (I live in Los Angeles.)
8. No electronic gadgets that aren't absolutely essential. I have a fridge, stove, some lamps, a fan, a blowdryer, and a cellphone charger. Oh, and an alarm clock. No air conditioner, no coffee maker, no microwave, no blender, toaster... yeah, my family thinks I'm nuts. No vacuum (hardwood floors rock.) I drink instant coffee.
8. No credit card debt. I actually embarked on this personal austerity program 3 years ago to pay off $33,000 in debt and last month... I did it. Yay! Now I'm used to living this way so I'll just keep doing it.
9. No new anything: all my clothes are from Goodwill.
10. I cut my own hair.
11. I almost never eat out. I live on cafeteria food at work and don't eat much at home except canned food, eggs, rice, beans, vodka... ;^)
12. I wash my own clothes in the tub whenever I can. Landlady doesn't mind seeing dresses and nightgowns hanging to dry from the lemon tree out back.
13. I don't buy books or movies, I get them from the public library.
That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.