I’d be interested in realistic suggestions too. Not sure where to start with this myself. Feel free to ask me any questions that might help render better answers.
Going Galt isn’t about moving to some other country. It’s about starving it of what you normally provide and is taken for granted.
If you want to do it realistically you could consider the following:
1. Pay off as much debt as possible. Starve the credit markets and be beholden to as few as possible.
2. Pull WAY back on non-essential purchases. Don’t eat out. Don’t go on vacation. Spend 1/5 of what you normally do during the holiday season. Simply don’t spend.
3. Homeschool if possible. Homeschooled childeren will become the standard bearers of conservative values.
Here is how I did it...and I am looking for more ideas.
1. Downgraded my cable tv service. We don't watch a ton of TV, but I like the news channels and sometimes I like watching sports. We also took back one of our "DVR receiver" boxes since we don't watch much tv in the bedroom.
Approximate savings: $45 a month/$540 a year.
2. Cut down on my home phone service...went from an unlimited monthly plan to a limited monthly plan. Someday we may get rid of the land line altogether, but it is still nice to have if the cell phones are charging or otherwise being used.
Approximate savings: $10 a month/$120 a year.
3. Quit the health club...not everyone in the family uses it...some of us do, but they'll have to use the "video game" exercise route--the Wii Fit, or whatever or maybe go outside and walk.
Approximate savings: $72 a month/$864 a year!
4. Lawn service...our guy comes by every two weeks at a cost of $30 a week. We will now have him come by ONCE A MONTH...yes, the grass will get a little longer in the summer time. Too bad. We'll deal with it.
Approximate savings: $420 a year!
Every person/business/company that has been affected by these decsions is being told it is a direct result of the election yesterday!
So there are some ideas....God bless you all.
Let's keep these great ideas going!! :)