If you give Social Security to a child for having autism, you will find a lot more of it!
“Yeah my kid acts weird. Is there some money in for me?”
Funny how you never heard anything about autism until school districts and the social security admin stopped rubber stamping disability benefits for ADD and ADHD.
I’m no expert.
If the actual cases of Autism are increasing at the rate statistics show (Vs. rate of diagnosis), I wonder if it is an evolutionary condition of our race. Technology and morality (lack there of) have driven social interaction, empathy and passion for selef righteousness down among the human race in general and in America for certain. I have wondered if there is a correlation.
I can’t say and have no proof there is any correlation. I don’t even know much about the scientific and medical details about the failings in the brain that cause the symptoms associated with Autism. But I know several families with kids of varying degrees of the disease. If there is a cause, it must be something universal and developmental beyond simple genetics.
If autism is really getting worse, then I would expect that more children would be just sitting there staring like the worst case of autism. On the other hand if they are playing with definitions or diagnoses, then you will have more kids diagnosed with autism but no more cases of kids completely detached from the world.
New Jersey was not amused.
Looks like Michael Savage was right after all.
She seems to think that because her daughetr is in Gubmint schools, she is the gubmints problem - THAT's what is wrong here.
Our daughter is (relatively) high-functioning Autistic, and we home-school her because she is OUR responsibility, not the public schools.
Sure, our concern is: "Will she be self-supporting as an adult"?
We pray and work towards that, but if not - then she will live with us, like she does right now.
And for those not familiar, it's not just a matter of: "Acting wierd" - it goes much deeper than that.
= New Jersey has so expanded the definition of “autism”, that nearly every child is now inflicted.
= Give us tons of tax money.
He gave 2 reasons: 1. Many of the older cases of Autism were diagnosed as MR and now we do a better job of identifying Autism.
2. There is social pressure to diagnose as Autism because with Autism there is hope that with treatment a fairly “normal” life can be lived but that is not true with MR and that parents would rather say their kid is Autistic than MR.
I would add that we have greatly expanded what is considered Autism to the point that any kid that is a little socially awkward could get the label.
I don't know if the DR was right or not but he seemed to make sense.
Queue in the “Autism, ADHD, Asperber’s Syndrome doesn’t exist. Its just bad parenting.” crowd.
As a parent of one such child, go ahead idiots....make my day.
* parents and children eating manufactured food
* parents and children stuffed full of shots, pills, living promiscuous lifestyles that the snews media does not want to publicize, which promote all sorts of conditions and diseases that ultimately effect mothers and children - there is basically no research at all done on this because it would point out the negative effects of the immoral lifestyles that are heavily promoted today
* parents and children doing nothing but watching idiotic tv, internet and video games from birth
* parents and children having weak feminist upbringing from birth, where everything is tolerated, nothing is expected of them in terms of chores, respect, etc; we are allowed to be babies our entire lives today
* billions in PR and marketing of autism
* schools looking for special needs kids to drive up the numbers in order to drive up school costs (alinsky, they may not all be aware of this) and make a big drama about how great schools and teachers are; a crisis which the teacher’s unions can use to extort more money from local municipalities
* I think about 10% to 20% of school budgets pay for costs of special needs; cutting these programs would mean layoffs for those people
* schools pull all students classified as “special needs” out of school performance statistics; they’re just taking the worst performers out of the analysis, which helps to make their performance look much better
* parents seeing the diagnosis as giving them door-to-door service and personal attention for their kids in school at no cost to the parents
* parents seeing the diagnosis as the school system providing free day care for their child that can’t graduate school and would need day care if they stayed at home and both parents worked outside the home; otherwise they have to have one parent stay home and lose income, or pay for day care
* some children have actual medical issues
* most probably results from “epidemics” above
* some probably results from congenital conditions and is a medical issue that can not be avoided
* unfortunately, medical industry research is not geared towards fixing the problem, but finding drugs that make the symptoms bearable, so the kids who have real problems are not nearly as well-served as they would be by true research on real cures
Big corps, lawyers always jump on Sales opportunities and try to make the most of them regardless of almost any moral qualms any typical person may have. The more the true Gospel is spread amongst them, the less such reprehensible actions we’ll see.
Somewhere there is a government check attached to being diagnosed as autistic.
the kid gets crazy checks!!!!!!
In the new DSM V that is coming out, they have combined Asperger’s Syndrome with autism in what they now call Autism Spectrum disorders. Without this separation in diagnoses the rate will go even higher.
I have no expertise in Autism, but Thomas Sowell (I guy I respect) has an interesting article that comments on the epidemic of autism.