Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Americans in Israel sue United States for funding Palestinian terrorism
The Times of Israel ^ | November 27, 2012 | Michal Shmulovich

Posted on 11/27/2012 5:23:13 AM PST by ilcenter

A group of 24 Americans living in Israel, some of them victims of terror, on Tuesday filed a civil action lawsuit against the United States government over what they claim is its funding of Palestinian terrorism in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The plaintiffs were being represented by the Tel Aviv-based Shurat HaDin – Israel Law Center, a legal advocacy group that combats terror organizations.

The lawsuit, which was filed in Washington, DC, contends that the State Department and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ignored Congressional safeguards and transparency requirements attached to US aid to the Palestinian Authority, thus allowing for the funneling of funds to Hamas, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), and the Palestine Liberation Front. It also accuses the White House of not complying with the regulations and reporting obligations governing presidential waivers which facilitate emergency funding to the Palestinians.

US funds have been flowing to the terror groups as a result of this noncompliance, the plaintiffs stated, according to a press release circulated by Shurat HaDin.

The State Department, under the Palestinian Anti-Terrorism Act, is prohibited from providing “material support” to banned terrorist groups. Under that law, the State Department is required to certify that the Palestinian government is committed to peace and coexistence with Israel before distributing funds.

Nitsana Darshan-Leitner, the Tel Aviv-based director of Shurat HaDin, claimed that the State Department and USAID were particularly “lax” in requiring the Palestinians to “utilize bank accounts and other transfer methods that ensure transparency.”

“The American people are opposed to terror and do not want to fund it via their taxes,” Darshan-Leitner said.

According to the advocacy group’s estimates, since the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993, the State Department, via USAID, has given over $4 billion to Palestinians, with portions of that funding illegally falling into the hands of terrorists. Over the last four fiscal years, the average aid package has been roughly $600 million per year, compounded by the $200 million or so given annually to the United Nations Refugee Worker’s Administration (UNRWA).

The suit asks the federal court to review the conduct of the State Department and the safeguards on funds being distributed by USAID, and seeks to suspend future American aid to the PA and UNRWA until all the Congressional regulations and reporting requirements are fully complied with.

TOPICS: Government; Israel; News/Current Events; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: israel; lawsuit; statedept; terrorism

1 posted on 11/27/2012 5:23:25 AM PST by ilcenter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: ilcenter

Wouldn’t it be something if they won.

2 posted on 11/27/2012 5:27:55 AM PST by ilovesarah2012
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: ilovesarah2012

Don’t get your hopes up.

They are suing in an Obama owned court.

I would consider it nothing short of miraculous if they won.

Not only that, but if they won it wouls still not stop Obma from sending aide to his pals.

The Congress knows what is going on, They could stop it.
Has Boehner even made an attempt to stop it?

3 posted on 11/27/2012 5:42:36 AM PST by Venturer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: ilcenter

I am not familiar with this law, but I anticipate a vigorous fight over lack of standing of the plaintiffs to bring suit under this statute against the government. It may be that authority to bring an enforcement action is vested in the Justice Department.

Who gave the order to the military to stand down on 9-11-12?

4 posted on 11/27/2012 7:19:03 AM PST by John Galt's cousin (WTF?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: ilovesarah2012

I got into a discussion with my brother over natural born Jewish/American citizens that move to Israel having dual citizenship.
1 Can US citizens hold dual citizenships ?
2 Can a US citizen hold two Passports ?

He contends that since both of out parents were born in Ireland, We could hold both Irish and U.S Passports

I say NO

Who’s Right?

5 posted on 11/27/2012 8:01:03 AM PST by Robe (Rome did not create a great empire by talking, they did it by killing all those who opposed them)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Robe

Your brother is.

My sister applied for and received dual citizenship based on our grandfather’s emirating from Ireland.

She can’t get a security clearance though.

6 posted on 11/27/2012 8:09:06 AM PST by AbnSarge
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Robe

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Other Practical Tips for Dual Citizens

Please obtain a passport of both your native country and the US. It will make traveling between the two countries and abroad so much easier. For information about obtaining a US passport go to Passport Information.

When you travel between the two countries carry both passports. US law and the laws of countries that allow dual citizenship allow you to carry more than one passport.

As mentioned previously when entering or leaving the United States use your US passport. When entering or leaving your native country, use your native country’s passport.

When traveling by air, the same principles apply, but dealing with the airlines may be confusing. The airlines are interested in what passport you will use at your destination. So before your flight begins, the airlines will ask for your passport so they can verify that you can legally enter the country at your destination. Your passport information will be entered into their computer system and will become part of the flight manifest. So make sure you show the airlines, the passport you will use at each of your destinations.

7 posted on 11/27/2012 8:12:02 AM PST by ilovesarah2012
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: AbnSarge

So did my brother and sister (twins) got dual citizenship but don’t know for what advantage. Never bothered to ask. Maybe because they can?

8 posted on 11/27/2012 8:15:30 AM PST by presently no screen name
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: ilcenter

Can Americans actually living in America file a civil action lawsuit against the United States government for failing to secure our borders, aiding and abetting an illegal invasion, which have caused death, injury and or harm to millions of Americans?

9 posted on 11/27/2012 9:13:28 AM PST by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: American in Israel

Ping. You are in the headline of this article. Fame at last!

10 posted on 11/28/2012 3:35:21 AM PST by BlackVeil
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Robe
The laws of the United States state that they will honor a dual citizenship if the other country in the case considers it legal. However if the other country requires you to swear alegience alone to their citizenship, your United States Citizenship is invalid, you have, by swearing against your alegience with the United States commited an act of treason in effect, invalidating your citizenship, AND your right to enter the country.

Dual Citizenship is kind of a dont ask, dont tell situation.

And, as an aside, I do not have dual citizenship.

11 posted on 11/28/2012 7:29:00 AM PST by American in Israel (A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but the foolish mans heart directs him toward the left.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson