Skip to comments.Gov. Nikki Haley vets Stephen Colbert for Senate
Posted on 12/14/2012 8:34:10 AM PST by SeekAndFind
This is fun for a Friday. Gov. Nikki Haley is now deciding who will take Sen. Jim DeMint's (R-SC) place when he leaves the Senate to head up The Heritage Foundation.
Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert tops the list of preferred appointments with South Carolinians, according to a PPP poll:
Colbert tops the wish list of who South Carolina voters would like to see join that body at 20%, followed by Tim Scott at 15%, Trey Gowdy at 14%, Jenny Sanford at 11%, Henry McMaster and Mark Sanford at 8%, Jeff Duncan and Joe Wilson at 5%, and Mick Mulvaney at 4%.
It's Democrats and independents- those voters Haley most needs to improve her standing with- who are pining for a Colbert appointment. Among Democrats 32% say they'd like Colbert to be picked with Jenny Sanford at 19% and no one else in double digits. With crucial independent voters Colbert has a 15 point lead for the appointment, getting 28% to 13% for Tim Scott, 12% for Jenny Sanford, and 10% for Trey Gowdy with no one else in double digits.
So, there’s that. You can fret about what this says about the voting public, wonder whether it’s the Senate they’re goofing on or the pollsters, or you can just play along with the joke.
That’s what Haley did yesterday, acknowledging the public’s desire for a satirist in the Senate by giving him a vetting worthy of a satirist.
The Colbert Report Mr. Colbert, clearly a whole lot of people felt you needed a second look for U.S. Senate, and… fb.me/1Vnh9Ik1t
— Nikki Haley (@nikkihaley) December 13, 2012
Here’s what she found out:
Given that news updates out of South Carolina on this subject have been scarce, Haley seemed to enjoy keeping the political press wondering, as it did in almost ludicrous fashion over this:
Just prior to releasing her research on Mr. Colbert, Ms. Haley posted some lyrics from Adeles hit Rumor Has It on her Facebook page. The ellipsis-filled status update, which was also shared on Twitter, simply included the songs title and some of the words without any further explanation from Ms. Haley, prompting MSNBCs Chuck Todd to wonder whether the post actually came from her. Politicker reached out to a spokesman for the governor who confirmed the Facebook post was something she personally did herself.
The field of possibilities remains unchanged:
Her short list means South Carolina could have its first Black U.S. senator or first female senator.
The person with knowledge of the process says the Republican governor is choosing among U.S. Reps. Tim Scott and Trey Gowdy, former first lady Jenny Sanford, state agency director Catherine Templeton, and former state Attorney General Henry McMaster.
Speculation abounds over who she might pick to fill the seat through 2014, when voters will choose someone to serve the remaining two years of DeMints term. The guesses began as soon as DeMint announced his resignation, effective Jan. 1, to become president of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.
Names tossed out as possibilities include the states four congressmen recently re-elected to their second term.
Scott was just named to the powerful Ways and Means Committee.
If Colbert actually ever did make it to the Hill, we have pretty good evidence that it would suck all the funny out of him, anyway. It’s happened before.
Sad, really. I guess leadership of the nation is viewed as a joke. When the citizens are so flippant, trouble can't be far behind.
Isn’t Colbert a left of center comedian? what at all qualifies him anyway?
Looking at it another way, 80% are for someone OTHER THAN Stephen Colbert. And the others are mostly the opposite of what Colbert stands for. He’s the stinking fish...the others have something in common with one another but nothing in common with Colbert.
He’s smarter than Al Franken?
Colbert and franken. Both not funny both not qualified, why not?
Well she “vetted” him as in put out an opposition research dump on him.
Plus it was humorous.
He might not destroy as many minds if he was in the Senate.
“Sad, really. I guess leadership of the nation is viewed as a joke.”
When cadre are clowns everything is a joke. If the 2012 election cycle failed to convince people that the GOP is a dead end, absolutely nothing will.
“Steven Colbert” is not even a real person. He is a persona created by some lackluster entertainer whose name I forget and don’t care enough to look up. His humor is on the Garrison Keillor scale; basically like watching paint dry.
Looking at it another way, 80% are for someone OTHER THAN Stephen Colbert.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I really agree with your way of thinking.
If I were a pol etc I would be claiming 92% of the people in my state/country are working and we are working hard at getting the remaining 8% gainful employment, if they desire.
When I was a ‘drinker/driver (not proud, just saying), the antis would say 32% of all accidents are caused by drinking drivers. MY response “we apparently know how 32% are caused, shouldn’t we ALSO be working just as hard on the other 68%, or are they okay cause they weren’t drinking”?
These numbers can work both ways, just need to make sure you are presenting them the right way dependent on your audience.
Everyone needs to calm down and take a deep breathe. She did not “vet” him at all. This was a joke.
And you’re wondering why we’re in trouble. :)
A rock is smarter than Franken.
What does that say about the people of Minnesota?
I believe in the last election, the runner up to DeMint was democrat Al Green. Should not he be in the running too.
Publicity stunt. The fact that the media is actling like she’s seriously considering him says more about the media than it does about Haley or Colbert.
When GWB was President, there was an event at which Steven Colbert was the featured comedian—I think the White House correspondents dinner. Colbert’s jokes at the expense of President Bush were mean-spirited...not like what any Democrat President would have to listen to at that event.
People here in MN elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.