Skip to comments.Michael Mann vs. NRO and Mark Steyn: It's Time to Rumble (Steyn sued for defamation of character)
Posted on 12/17/2012 7:26:49 AM PST by SeekAndFind
National Review Online (NRO) is currently running an ad/article explaining that Professor Michael Mann, the creator of the highly questionable "hockey stick" graph that global warming alarmists latched onto to pummel the entire world with dour warnings about the effects of man-made CO2 emissions on life as we know it, is suing NRO and Mark Steyn for defamation of character:
"Let me recap: A lawsuit has been formally filed by Professor Michael Mann against National Review and Mark Steyn. You know Mann: The Penn State academic and self-proclaimed (and bogus) Nobel Peace Prize awardee best known, famously and infamously, for the "hockey stick" graph that allegedly proves that recent years were the hottest on record for more than a millennium.
Of course, he is also known for the scandal about embarrassing e-mails, pried out of the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit."
According to Thomas Richard at examiner.com,
"The suit is based on articles written by different authors at different times and can be found here, here, and here."
Richard goes on to say,
"In the lawsuit, Mann makes the claim that he has been "awarded the Nobel Peace Prize" in the complaint itself (page 2, paragraph 2). He premises much of his argument/suit that by winning such a prestigious prize, he has the right to sue the aforementioned authors for defamation of character.
I contacted the The Norwegian Nobel Institute to find out if Mann was indeed a Nobel Laureate, winner, etc... My questions were:
(Excerpt) Read more at americanthinker.com ...
See here for the articles referenced:
discovery, discovery and discovery!
"Highly fraudulent" would be a better characterization.
Academic freedom includes the agreement that your publications will be reviewed by your peers. The way to answer criticism from your peers is to prove yourself right by scientific evidence (data).
From the graveyard of (not)forgotten favorites.
“Hide the Decline”
How do you defame a snake oil salesman?
Mann does not have a chance of winning this.
He probably knows he can’t win, but he can drag Steyn through the mud, and it will cost him hundreds of thousands in legal fees. It coud be an effective way to stifle conservative speech.
If other scientists are not allowed to reproduce or refute your work, it ain't science, and it ain't peer-review.
Don’t you have to have character in order for it to be defamed?
Funny that he uses his Nobel Prize to defend his character,
and we here would say winning that was actually proof of LACK OF CHARACTER.
I'm not that sure who will drag who through the mud.
This also gives a hint that Michael Mann's position is seriously threatened - so much that he must fight this battle against a formidable foe.
Mann is NOT a Nobel Laureate. The article gives the details.
By comparing him to Michael Mann???
Mann does not have much tolerance for the freedoms of “deniers.”
I hope he loses his stinky shorts and is exposed as a manipulator in the process.
I emphatically concur with using Discovery.
1) Get some funding from people wanting to drive a stake into the heart of “Global Warming”.
2) use the courts to get access to all of Mann’s documents and emails
3) get Watt and Monkton and other “skeptics” to go through the stuff and prepare questions
4) Put Mann’s colleagues under oath to provide their take on emails sent to them
5) sell tickets and pass the popcorn
6) using all the above information, GRILL MANN UNDER OATH.
“Mann is NOT a Nobel Laureate. The article gives the details.”
From the article:
“I contacted the The Norwegian Nobel Institute to find out if Mann was indeed a Nobel Laureate, winner, etc... My questions were:
1. Was Prof Michael Mann ‘awarded’ a Nobel Prize of any sort at any time? Is he a Nobel Laureate as implied elsewhere in his legal brief?
2. Did he receive a certificate “for contributing to” the IPCC Nobel Peace Prize? Is the photo of the certificate authentic? [see photo]
3. Is there a difference between stating you “were awarded” the Nobel Peace Prize as indicated by Mann in his legal brief and “contributing to” as shown in the attached photo of the certificate?
Geir Lundestad, Director, Professor, of The Norwegian Nobel Institute emailed me back with the following:
“1) Michael Mann has never been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
2) He did not receive any personal certificate. He has taken the diploma awarded in 2007 to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (and to Al Gore) and made his own text underneath this authentic-looking diploma.
3) The text underneath the diploma is entirely his own. We issued only the diploma to the IPCC as such. No individuals on the IPCC side received anything in 2007.”
Lundestad goes on to say that, “Unfortunately we often experience that members of organizations that have indeed been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize issue various forms of personal diplomas to indicate that they personally have received the Nobel Peace Prize. They have not.”
The one good thing about a lawsuit is that it provides an opportunity for generally competent people on both sides of the issue to present their case to a often impartial and usually competent judge. He then is required to determine the “facts”, write them down, and then make a judgement based on those facts. it will be very tough for Mann to prevail in such an environment.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.