Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

McConnell and Biden to the rescue; the grandstanders holler (RINO celebrates McConnell's tax hikes)
Washington Post ^ | 1/1/12 | Jennifer Rubin

Posted on 01/01/2013 8:53:33 AM PST by jimbo123

click here to read article


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-65 last
To: chiller
If they're bold this could be a nice win

LOL! Bold. GOP. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! What exactly did you have to smoke last night?

/johnny

51 posted on 01/01/2013 9:59:08 AM PST by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

To: BushCountry

But it wouldn’t be for lack of trying!


52 posted on 01/01/2013 9:59:08 AM PST by Norm Lenhart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: allendale
Then let it go a conference and let the real negotiations begin.

The real negotiations will (hopefully) begin when raising the debt ceiling gets debated.

53 posted on 01/01/2013 10:00:21 AM PST by Lancey Howard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: JRandomFreeper

I don’t think last night is quite over for some people. The effects are showing.


54 posted on 01/01/2013 10:01:09 AM PST by Norm Lenhart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

To: JRandomFreeper

This is old ground. One can blame the GOP, karl rove or whoever you wish. There is some merit to that. But conservatives themselves were to blame by splitting the vote between newt and santorum. Rallying and uniting conservatives is like trying to herd cats.


55 posted on 01/01/2013 10:05:10 AM PST by plain talk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: stylin19a

“Jennifer Rubin writes the Right Turn blog for The Post, offering reported opinion from a conservative perspective.”

Who is this guy, below?

He held himself out as the “conservative voice of MSNBC.”

He substituted for Rush Limbaugh in the late `90s (once).

He sailed a National Review cruise ship as a member of their panel of conservative luminaries (just before I cancelled my subscription).

Chris Matthews.

The MSM can call a jacka** a horse if they want, but that doesn’t make them horses.


56 posted on 01/01/2013 10:08:05 AM PST by tumblindice (America's founding fathers: All armed conservatives.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: jimbo123

U.S. Constitution.... Section 7..... All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives, But the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other bills.


57 posted on 01/01/2013 10:12:49 AM PST by Forrestfire (("To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." Theodore Roosevelt))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: indianrightwinger
Now, they have been made permanent for 99.4% of tax payers. Well, that is a step in our direction.

Not really a step in our direction.

The people who contribute the most to the economy are taking the hit with the compromise or deal just made. That can't be good for the economy or country or the republicans. It's also a lose/lose proposition for republicans when it comes to what the voters will do. The low-information voters will take it as a win for the democrats and for Obama, while still blaming the republicans for protecting the well-off and rich; remember that, to democrats, rich is defined as somebody making more than just a decent salary.

If republicans are still going to not be getting the votes of those ignoramuses, and those same people have become dependent upon government, then, giving an inch to the democrats just makes things worse for the country and the republicans.

Essentially, the democrats have the republicans in "check" and going for the killing with "checkmate". The only thing that can bring the country back, is for the economic collapse to finally happen, which might then get the people to finally start seeing the error of their ways. But, knowing how democrats and the ignorant electorate works, they will still be blaming republicans for the collapse and for their own bad economic conditions.

So, the only thing left for republicans to do, is to just not give an inch and to actually try to reverse the course that the country finds itself in.


58 posted on 01/01/2013 10:17:39 AM PST by adorno (Y)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: JRandomFreeper
Yeah...I know BOLD is a stretch for Boehner, but he may not even be in charge then, when the debt ceiling must be addressed. It's the only hope to which I can cling.

I can live with McConnel's tax breaks, estate tax improvements, ATM adjustments, a holding pattern on the sequestered cuts. Pubbies should smell victory if they win serious spending cuts, while giving little on debt limits, ... far better than I would have ever imagined given the circumstances.

Lots to shake out in upcoming months. I'm looking for someway to get to Nov '14, when TP2 shows up.

59 posted on 01/01/2013 10:19:30 AM PST by chiller (Do not consume any NBCNews;MTPTodayNightlyNewsMorningJoeMSNBCBrianWilliams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

To: plain talk
But conservatives themselves were to blame by splitting the vote between newt and santorum.

Really? Who won Ohio?

/johnny

60 posted on 01/01/2013 10:30:19 AM PST by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

To: chiller

"The spending will be addressed with the debt limit, coming soon, and in which we have more bargaining power. If they're bold this could be a nice win"

Not only that, but Barack Obama won't be calling for new taxes with the debt ceiling debate. Nor will the MSM constantly bash "Tea Party extremists" for holding the country hostage and trying to purposely destroy the economy so that we can default on our obligations. Low-information people won't be swayed by Obama's unchallenged claim that he cut "$1 Trillion dollars last year"- instead, this will be the moment that they sit down and finally analyze the facts. The stock market won't drop a lot as we get closer to the debt ceiling vote, forcing the GOP to freak out and cave...

...Obama won't use the opportunity to trash Republican "hyper-partisanship" in his inauguration speech or the SOTU, either. Republicans won't negotiate in bogus back-room deals that delay cuts forever, like they have done 100% of the time the past few years. Also, the Kansas City Chiefs will go undefeated next season and win the Super Bowl...

61 posted on 01/01/2013 10:41:14 AM PST by Qbert ("The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry" - William F. Buckley, Jr.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

To: Qbert

Careful before you take a chunk out of your tongue.


62 posted on 01/01/2013 10:50:58 AM PST by chiller (Do not consume any NBCNews;MTPTodayNightlyNewsMorningJoeMSNBCBrianWilliams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies]

To: JRandomFreeper
Ronald Reagan used to counsel that someone who was with you 85% of the time was an ally and friend, not an adversary because of the remaining 15%.

I suspect he would have approved a permanent tax cut for 99% of the taxpayers. Then gone back for the other 1% when he saw a chance. It's called "incrementalism" and is what got the Left to where it is today. Maybe we ought to try it too, for a change, instead of calling people names.

63 posted on 01/01/2013 11:07:11 AM PST by hinckley buzzard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: JRandomFreeper

I normally agree with you, but how in the world do you expect the Republican-held House of Representatives to lock in 100% of the Bush tax cuts?


64 posted on 01/01/2013 11:22:47 AM PST by CitizenUSA (Why celebrate evil? Evil is easy. Good is the goal worth striving for.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: chiller

makes perfect sense...NOT. We’re still waiting for the spending cuts promised to Presidents Reagan & Bush (41)


65 posted on 01/01/2013 1:42:33 PM PST by stylin19a (Obasma - Fredo samart)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-65 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson