Skip to comments.Illinois: Gun and Magazine Ban and Registration Schemes Pass in Senate Public Health Committee
Posted on 01/03/2013 4:38:27 AM PST by marktwain
If you own a semi-automatic firearm or detachable magazine, they may be banned, taxed, and registered and you could easily become a felon unless you act NOW
Anti-gun legislators led by Senate President John Cullerton and backed by Governor Patrick Quinn (D) substituted and passed sweeping draconian gun and magazine bans in the Senate Public Health Committee today. House Bill 1263, amended to include a ban on many commonly owned firearms passed in this committee by a 6 to 4 vote. House Bill 815, which was amended to include a magazine ban and shooting range restrictions, passed by a 6 to 3 vote. Additionally, amendments have been filed to remove the hunting exception and could be introduced and considered on the Senate floor tomorrow. These actions prove once again that Chicago politicians seem more focused on creating new classes of criminals out of law-abiding citizens than dealing effectively with their current violent crime problems.
New amendments have been introduced which add some specifics to the time limits for registration of previously owned firearms and magazines, and set the fees to register firearms and magazines. These amendments will be heard in the Executive Committee tomorrow morning at 11am. Both bills are expected to be heard on the floor of the Senate tomorrow afternoon for their third and final vote, and this is where the real fight will take place to maintain your Second Amendment rights and defeat Senate President Cullerton's anti-gun agenda. It is imperative that you contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY to express your opposition to House Bills 815 and 1263 and any additional anti-gun amendments.
Among other things, House Bill 815 would:
- Prohibit anyone without a FOID card from using a commercial shooting range, which in many cases would make it impossible to introduce new shooters to the safe and responsible use of firearms.
- Grant the State Police broad discretion to impose design, construction and operation standards that could shut down most commercial shooting ranges.
- Ban possession of magazines and other feeding devices that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. A "grandfather clause" would require registration by owners of such devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership" that could be impossible for most people to provide, and even registered owners could not transfer magazines within Illinois, except to an heir or a licensed dealer. Transfers of "grandfathered magazines" would have to be reported to the ISP.
- Violations of this magazine ban would be a felony. Failure to report theft or loss of a magazine would be a misdemeanor until the third violation, which would be a felony.
House Bill 1263 would:
- Ban, at a minimum, all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Remington 7400 deer rifles, Ruger 10/22 squirrel guns, Glocks, 1911s, etc. This ban would include about 80% of handguns now sold in the U.S.
- Possibly ban all semi-automatic rifles and even revolvers or single-shot pistols with the capacity to accept muzzle brakes or compensators.
- Ban "assault weapon attachments," so possession of a thumbhole stock, a pistol grip,or a fore-end (a "shroud" that "partially or completely encircles the barrel") would be a crime even if you didn't possess a firearm.
- Ban all .50 BMG rifles.
- Contains "grandfather" provisions that would require registration by owners of devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership."
- Create felony penalties for violation of this ban on guns or attachments.
- Create lost and stolen penalties that would criminalize victims of gun theft.
Anti-gun politicians are attempting to sacrifice your constitutional rights as a scapegoat for the criminal acts of violence in Chicago by gangs and drug dealers. Don't let them succeed in banning your firearms or magazines as an excuse for stopping criminals from misusing them. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws, including often: murder, rape, robbery, drug-dealing, gang violence, firearm theft, carrying concealed firearms without a license/permit, federal gun-free school zones. They do not obey gun bans, register their firearms, or get subjected to any gun control schemes (like the lone state ban on carrying concealed firearms for self-defense) that only affect and penalize law-abiding citizens like you. Your telephone calls TODAY will determine the outcome of this very serious assault on your Second Amendment rights.
The NRA-ILA will continue to send legislative updates as details become available. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun and magazine ban. Call your state Senator IMMEDIATELY and express your opposition to banning firearms or magazines and urge them to vote against House Bills 815 and 1263.
To reach the main line for the Illinois General Assembly, please call 217-782-2000.
Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here.
Oh, you’ll be soooo much more safe when you’re unarmed people. Just look at Australia to see how much safer you’re going to be. That’s sarcasm btw. You’ll be safer living in Afghanistan than Chicago.
Two things to do immediately.
1) Approach a federal judge with a request for an injunction against this law based on the argument that it is “unconstitutional on its face”, the injunction to take place the minute the law is signed by the governor.
2) Immediately target the weakest and poorest of the Illinois Democrat legislators supporting this with an election recall, by simply taking out the petition forms against them. *They* will hear about it, and quickly, and it will terrify them.
Gun bans have such a great history of effectiveness. After all, look at the amazing success Chicago has had pacifying its streets.
What this will do is invite criminal elements of all types to move there and set up shop..fertile ground cultivated by corrupt liberal politicians, crappy schools churning out dumbed-down thugs by the truckload, gang culture rampant in the prison system, and to top it all off, a disarmed populace... hell, why wouldn`t they.. how could they resist the temptation?
Is there any way to sell Illinois short? Because the state is now a true banana republic with snow.
Illinois California in the mid west.
Protecting the Chicago Mob and their drug running, gang bangers at all costs.
“Middle of the night legislation by corrupt politicians. It has to be stopped in this lame duck session.”
No one has made them uncomfortable enough to get their attention yet. I predict, eventually, someone will get fed up enough to commit murder against a politician or bureaucrat and then all hell will break loose. They know this and have been gearing up for it with increasingly restrictive laws, militarized police and stifling surveillance. The “war on terror” was a wonderful excuse to wage a war on America and they’re going to need a bigger war soon to keep our minds off what’s going on here. Even the Broncos fans are starting to wake up.
Defeat this legislation as it stands!
Negotiating is a waste of time and purpose.
There are NO compromises to be had.
Sometimes I wonder if these thug Chicago politicians are pushing this to satisfy their end of some quid-pro-quo agreement with organized crime and gangs. What they`re doing is setting up an easy operating zone for the bad guys by eliminating the law-abiding citizens` right of self-defense.
If there are any patriots in ILLinois, you had better contact ACLJ and get Sekulow started on this.
Quite simply, it’s a coup de etat. We’ve been living through one since 2008. It’s about to get very unpleasant for everybody in Illinois and beyond.
“Illinois California in the mid west.”
Excuse me please...Illinois surpasses California in all the bad things that a state government can amass against it’s population. So, I would say the California is the West’s version of Illinois... ;)
Elections have consequences.
Shame on you! You used the word TARGET!(sarc.)
Just called both State Senator and my state rep.
All action is currently in the senate, the reps are not even in Springfield until late Sunday.
I gave ‘em an earfull.
Society is a much better off when a mob of “utes’ can beat you to death with baseball bats and not have to worry about getting hurt while they are doing it.
It's for the children.
I like you’re idea about recall threats. Do you have any specific dems in mind? I am an attorney in Springfield, work just minutes away from the IL board of elections, and would be delighted to stir up a little anxiety for the local gun grabbers. But I am not sure who to pick on. Any ideas?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.