Aren’t they also a potential bio-hazard due to their mercury content?
does this mean no more subsidized homo depot lightbulbs?
Heck, back in the 50s, we used to break thermometers and play with the mercury in a small dish. We’d coat pennies, nickels and dimes with it, and I think all 3 of us are still alive, last I checked. LOL.
Got mercury poisoning *twice* from picking up broken ones.
When *one* breaks, it releases 400x the ‘safe amount’ of mercury into the area.
Both times, I’d cleaned up 3 or 4 of them within a month of each other.
I only use them in low traffic areas now in closed light fixtures where they can’t fall onto the floor when they invariably ‘explode’ for no reason.
Yes, that was mentioned in the article.......
Yes, it takes years and more than a ton of dirt to effectively handle 1 bulb. We have been stock piling these bulbs since this law was passed.
Every time a light bulb burns out now we buy 4 more packs of incadescent bulbs. They are great heat sources, and that is what some clever guy in Europe did to avoid the stupid law.
Just relabled them as heaters, not a light source. LOL At least that’s what my daughter told me.