Skip to comments.Brady Bill II, 1993 - Redux 2013
Posted on 01/16/2013 12:27:55 AM PST by MacNaughton
Guns, Crime, and Punishment, by Wayne LaPierre, © 1994
p.49-50 But in 1993, with a new sponsor, NY Rep. Charles Schumer, and a new president, Bill Clinton, in the White House, the Brady Bill waiting period passed the U.S. Congress and was signed into law on November 30. It didnt take long for the second step to be unveiled. Eight days later on December 8, 1993, Sarah and Jim Brady of Handgun Control, Inc. and Rep. Charles Schumer called a press conference to announce their intention to file Brady Bill II.
1. Requires a license to buy a gun
2. Requires fingerprinting to buy a handgun
3. Requires gun training for a license to buy a handgun
4. Requires a permanent seven-day waiting period
5. Requires national registration of gun transfers to track guns and gun owners
6. Requires a special license to own a gun arsenal (search for guns)
7. Requires a special license to own 1,000 rounds of ammunition
8. Requires gun dealers to pay an annual license fee of $1,000
9. Limits sale to one gun a month to any individual
10. Requires a separate federal license to sell ammunition
11. Bans firearms sales at Gun Shows
12. Bans semi-automatic assault weapons
13. Bans Saturday Night Special handguns
14. Bans all non-sporting ammunition
15. Requires surtax of 30% on handguns
16. Requires surtax of 50% on handgun ammunition
17. Prohibits certain misdemeanants from possessing firearms
18. Allows victims of gun violence to sue gun sellers
Just a little reminder about Andrew Cuomo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cuomo ... During Cuomo's tenure as HUD Secretary (January 29, 1997 January 20, 2001), he called for an increase in home ownership. He also pushed government-sponsored lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to buy more home loans issued to poor homeowners, in an attempt to end discrimination against minorities. Some believe that this helped lead to the current (SEP 2008)subprime mortgage crisis. Edward J. Pinto, former chief credit officer at Fannie Mae, said "they should have known the risks were large. Cuomo was pushing mortgage bankers to make loans and basically saying you have to offer a loan to everybody." But others disagree with the assessment that Cuomo caused the crisis. Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, said Cuomo "was a contributor in terms of him being a cheerleader, but I don't think we can pin too much blame on him."
It is later than we think. Heres hoping (and hope is not a strategy) that the 30 GOP governors will stand up against BHO. But BHO will hold them hostage with threats to freeze federal subsidies like Medicaid, grants, road funds, etc.
While serving as an IL state Senator during 1997-2004 and IL U.S. Senator during 2005-2008, Barack Hussein Obamas gun control record revealed that he
1. was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and "research."
2. supported repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.
3. voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.
4. supported local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.
5. voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.
6. voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.
7. voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.
8. supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.
9. supports mandatory micro-stamping.
10. supports mandatory waiting periods.
11. supports "one-gun-a-month" sales restrictions. supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.
12. supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.
13. refused to sign a friend-of-the-court brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the SCOTUS Heller case.
14. voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.
15. favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.
16. wants to re-impose the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban which expired in 2004.
17. supports requiring law-abiding gun owners to register their firearms.
18. wants to eliminate concealed-carry permits.
19. has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.
20. supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.
Isaiah 2:4 (NIV, © 2010) 4 He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.
Those who beat their swords into plow shears end up plowing for those who didnt. - anonymous
molon labe (ancient Greek)translates to "Come and take them". It is the classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae, 480 B.C.
Luke 22:36 (NIV, © 2010) 36 He said to them, But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
Matthew 26:52 (NIV, © 2010) 52 Put your sword back in its place, Jesus said to him, for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.
2 Timothy 4:3-4 (NIV, © 2010) 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus, 4th or 5th century A.D.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Latin adage translated as, "If you wish for peace, prepare for war" (usually interpreted as meaning peace through strength).
Benjamin Franklin, 1706-1790
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Edmund Burke, 1729-1797
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.
Samuel Adams, 1722-1803
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.
If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.
The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
George Mason, 1725-1792
I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.
John Parker, 17291775, captain of the Lexington militia at the Battle of Lexington April 19, 1775, Lexington Green, Lexington, MA)
Stand your ground. Dont fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.
George Washington, 1732-1799
It is substantially true, that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government.
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
John Adams, 1735-1826
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
Patrick Henry, 1736-799
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is impossible that a nation of infidels or idolaters should be a nation of freemen. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.
The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Let Mr. Madison tell me when did liberty ever exist when the sword and the purse were given up from the people? Unless a miracle shall interpose, no nation ever did, nor ever can retain its liberty after the loss of the sword and the purse.
John Hancock, 1737-1793
Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.
Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826
An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people.
The Republic will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
John Philpot Curran, 17501817
Eternal vigilance is the price for liberty. - Currans dictum
James Madison, 1751-1836
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi, 1869-1948
Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.
Winston Churchill, 18741965
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
If I were asked the difference between Socialism and Communism, I could only reply that the Socialist tries to lead us to disaster by foolish words and the Communist could try to drive us there by violent deeds.
Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
If you have 10,000 regulations, you destroy all respect for the law.
Schools have not necessarily much to do with education ... they are mainly institutions of control, where basic habits must be inculcated in the young. Education is quite different and has little place in school.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing ... after they have exhausted all other possibilities.
The flame of Christian ethics is still our best guide ... only on this basis can we reconcile the rights of the individual with the demands of society.
Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
Mao Zedong, 1893-1976
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. (1938)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.
It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Guns have only 2 enemies: rust and politicians.
In a life and death situation, do something It may be wrong, but do something.
You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.
Your number 1 option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces.
15. Capture 1 or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers' associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy."
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity, which does not need a "religious crutch."
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of "separation of church and state."
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man."
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the "big picture." Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture--education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use ["]united force["] to solve economic, political or social problems.
Why are so many numbers on that list missing?
That is because the plan is to implement total gun control on the public. Here is what Nelson "Pete" Shields (founder of HCI, now the Brady Center)had to say.
Nelson T. 'Pete' Shields Founder of Handgun Control, Inc. "I'm convinced that we have to have federal legislation to build on. We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily given the political realities going to be very modest. Of course, it's true that politicians will then go home and say, 'This is a great law. The problem is solved.' And it's also true that such statements will tend to defuse the gun-control issue for a time.
So then we'll have to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen that law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice.
Our ultimate goal total control of handguns in the United States is going to take time. My estimate is from seven to ten years. The problem is to slow down the increasing number of handguns sold in this country.
The second problem is to get them all registered. And the final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors totally illegal."
-Pete Shields, Chairman and founder, Handgun Control Inc., "A Reporter At Large: Handguns," The New Yorker, July 26, 1976, 57-58
The assault weapons ban is just a foot in the door to ban handguns. Thirty years ago HCI put out a press release that they ONLY wanted to control handguns. Long guns would not be affected.
Then they found they could use it as a stepping stone to handgun control.
Personal editing on my part. Folks don't like to read long articles/lists if they are not pithy. I culled the ones that didn't have the punch. If you are interested in the complete list ...