Skip to comments.
A response to Joe Biden's shotgun comments‏
Posted on 02/25/2013 6:39:21 PM PST by dontreadthis
The brother nails it
KEYWORDS: guncontrol; secondamendment
There is absolutely no tactical advantage to be gained in firing a “warning shot”.
In a quiet environment, sans a barking dog, chambering a rifle round MIGHT induce a sober, unarmed thief to flee.
How many sober, unarmed thieves do you expect to encounter?
posted on 02/25/2013 7:28:54 PM PST
(The obvious takes longer to discover for the obtuse.)
He nails it.
He effectively hit on every major point in the threat matrix. I give him double bonus point for mentioning threats hopped up on drugs.
Based on prior conversations with vets returning from Iraq and Afghanistan about the enemy being drugged up, a 5.56 round is not necessary up to the task. (although, I would argue a couple of well placed 30 round mags will do the job) An AR10 might be a wise investment ... and quite an investment. Stripped lowers right now, if you can find them, are running around $450.
posted on 02/25/2013 7:31:14 PM PST
(Molon Labe - Shall not be questioned)
In before the Democrats start calling the guy a “house nigger.”
posted on 02/25/2013 7:37:51 PM PST
by Trod Upon
(The Second Amendment acknowledges our inherent right to revolt if tyrannized. It ain't about hunting)
There is absolutely no tactical advantage to be gained in firing a warning shot.
There are quite a few very good reasons not to:
- First the obvious. You notify the intruder(s) that they have lost the element of surprise.
- You give up the element of surprise.
- You are now relatively defenseless until you complete a reload.
- You have to break cover from within the house to fire. You are more exposed on the back deck/patio, even in the doorway.
- You have to unlock the door for the intruder, thus making entry easier if they happen to be just outside the back door when you unlock it.
- Firing within a modest distance of a dwelling is illegal in most municipalities.
- Your pellets, although probably not lethal, can still cause injury when they come back down. You are responsible for them.
- Your neighbors won't appreciate your panic firing every time you hear something go bump in the night. Better to wait quietly in the dark. If it was nothing, do nothing.
- Warning shots are worse than pointless. If it is not a life-or-death situation, you shouldn't have you finger on the trigger, that is a lethal tool you are employing. If it is life-or-death why aren't you killing the bastard?
Joe's whole idea for a self/home defense weapon is stupid. There are a lot of good reasons to use a 12 ga as a home defense weapon. (I have one loaded with 5 shells of #1 buck next to my bed) There are probably an equal number of good reasons not to.
- What if your line of fire isn't clear? There may be non-combatants, pets, etc. in the line of fire, and stray or edge-of-pattern pellets may catch them. You really want to be able to aim and fire with some precision. (that's why there's a loaded Glock within arms reach at all times - celebrate diversity, tactical options)
- Your average double barrel is a competition gun, on the order of 4 feet long. Not an ideal CQB choice.
- Weight. Not a good choice if your wife is petite (like mine, she has her own 9).
- Recoil. Ditto. Both factors mean slightly built individuals aren't likely to enjoy shooting it. This means less practice/range time, less skill at employing it.
- Cost - have you priced doubles compared to decent handguns?
- Minimal capacity - two rounds. Not so good if you miss, or there are multiple intruders.
- For all practical purposes cannot be concealed, cannot be carried. Not easy to keep within arms reach if/when needed. My Glock is on the desk in front of the computer monitor as I type this.
posted on 02/25/2013 9:41:12 PM PST
(Stop obarma now! Stop the hussein - insane agenda!)
To: Varmint Al
A shotgun is an excellent weapon for up close and personal work against a “single” bad guy. If there is more than one bad guy you have a problem. Also when in up close and personal range the spread of the shot pattern is very small and the chances of missing the bad guy are about the same as a rifle. At a distance the spread is greater but it probably would not inflict a fatal wound unless using buckshot. The use of buckshot increases the chances of missing the bad guy as you have fewer pellets as opposed to bird shot.
I like the idea of a 30 round magazine in my AR-15. I live in a rural area. If you are breaking in my house it means that you have killed my dog (that will really piss me off) and disabled my alarm system. That means you intend grievous and perhaps fatal harm to me and my wife.
I would hope not to have a gun battle in my home but will if there is no alternative. If possible I will flee my home with my wife and weapon, as there are more than one exit from my home. I will then be in the dark with an AR-15 and a green laser sight zeroed for 50 yards. The bad guys life is then forfeit.
This is Texas and it is legal.
Have a plan, know what to do and do it.
If shotguns are so damn good why does Joe Biden’s Secret Service Detail carry full auto rifles and semi-auto pistols both with high capacity magazines. His team also has snipers armed with “I think” weapons firing a 300 Remington Win Mag.
“If it is good enough for Joe it is good enough for me.”
posted on 02/25/2013 9:48:46 PM PST
(Deckhand, Roughneck, Mud Man, Geologist, Pilot, Pharmacist. THE CONSTITUTION IS WORTH DYING FOR!)
You are a woman, an intruder is in your home, and you have a shotgun. And shotguns are heavy and cumbersome. You fire a warning shot in the air, damaging your home instead of damaging the intruder. And if you’re a petite woman, the recoil could knock you off your feet and possibly stun you. Now you’re flat on your back and the gun’s empty. The perp rapes and kills you, and gets a free shotgun in the bargain. And senile old morons like Joe Biden are the ones who pass the laws that affect you and me.
posted on 02/25/2013 9:58:34 PM PST
(Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy.)
To: Varmint Al
The very last clip the gal's pants fall down. Ha Ha Ha
Al, that was no gal.
posted on 02/26/2013 12:21:22 AM PST
(KCCO, and mind the gap)
my 20G holds 5 shells not one...
Now youre flat on your back and the guns empty.
And you’re disoriented and deafened by the blast, and blinded by the flash.
posted on 02/26/2013 6:11:02 AM PST
by Atlas Sneezed
(Universal Background Check -> Registration -> Confiscation -> Oppression -> Extermination)
To: dontreadthis; verga
Biden is Elmer Fudd, a musket in the age of AR 15s. And is 0bama's point man on gun control.
These guys just say things. Stupid and wrong, but spoken with authority.
posted on 02/26/2013 7:28:50 AM PST
(Islam is evil and must be eradicated)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson