Skip to comments.Libya detains suspect in attacks on U.S. outposts in Benghazi
Posted on 03/14/2013 3:20:55 PM PDT by haffast
TRIPOLI/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Libyan authorities have detained a man investigators believe could be an important witness or suspect in the attacks on U.S. outposts in Benghazi, Libya last September, according to people familiar with the matter.
The man, a Libyan national identified as Faraj al-Chalabi, fled to Pakistan after the attacks and only recently returned to Libya, said the sources, who include people in the United States and Libya close to the ongoing investigations. One Libyan security source said he was from Eastern Libya.
The U.S. government is aware of al-Chalabi's detention and there are signs American investigators may have been able to pose questions to him, according to the sources. It is not clear whether those questions were posed in person or through Libyan authorities.
Precisely what role the detained man played in the September 11, 2012 attacks is unclear.
U.S. sources in Washington said they did not believe he was a principal instigator or a front-line leader of the attacks on a poorly guarded temporary U.S. diplomatic mission compound and a more fortified CIA compound nearby.
U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, two CIA security officers and another U.S. diplomat were killed in the attacks.
The Benghazi incident became a major headache for President Barack Obama's administration just months before the November presidential election. Republicans assailed the Democratic president partly over security lapses, but also over the administration's conflicting early accounts of what happened.
At a hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday, FBI Director Robert Mueller said FBI investigators had been on the ground in Tripoli and elsewhere, and he believed the inquiry will "prove to be fruitful." He did not elaborate.
An FBI spokesman said on Wednesday Mueller's remarks "speak for themselves" and "Benghazi remains an ongoing investigation."
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
Thank goodness....A Muzzie to tell the truth !!! /s
How about those CIA contractor witnesses who have been hidden away from Congressional inquiry?
Dear Mr. Witness: You have just won a free (one way) trip to Fort Marcey Park in beautiful. Washington DC.
Even if we didn't get him...it would have been a win for Obama....like...he tried!!!
Either this guy is a nobody or that line is more coverup agitprop.
The suspect’s the one guy in the whole country of Libya who didn’t vote via absentee ballot for Obama.
Why, if he really was involved he’d better hope they don’t turn him over to the Americans! They might remove him from whatever rat infested tribal detention hole they’re keeping him in and put him in an American prison where he’ll be forced to watch television and meet with his lawyer for the next 20 years of motions and appeals.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.