Skip to comments.Pa. man's apparent suicide leaves 3 others dead
Posted on 04/17/2013 1:59:27 PM PDT by Responsibility2nd
QUAKERTOWN, Pa. (AP) -- Friends and neighbors were stunned and saddened by the deaths of four family members who appear to have died of carbon monoxide fumes that resulted from the husband's apparent suicide.
Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler said Tuesday night that a state police investigation indicates that Gary Reitnauer went to the garage of an adjacent home on the family's property on Monday and started the car following a disagreement with his wife, Michelle.
He said it is believed that Michelle Reitnauer and the family's two daughters tried to rescue him and were overcome by the fumes. Fire department rescue crews were unable to revive the family.
"Good man," a nephew, Rob Zern, told reporters as he left the home. "The family was trying to save each other and it didn't work out ... don't know what all went wrong, but it's a tragedy all around."
A neighbor described them as "just the sweetest family."
(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org ...
Tragic stupid double Darwin award. Killed himself and his progeny.
Only selfish people off themselves.
Something’s not right here. Carbon Monoxide takes a while to kill you. Headache, dizziness and nausea occur way before death. Didn’t they even think to open the garage door?
At high enough concentrations simply inhaling can cause you to blackout. I have a cousin who simply walked into a room under construction, took a breath and passed out.
garage door handle was knocked off. Still, it seems odd.
Article says he broke the handle off the garage door so it couldn’t be opened. Wife tried to break out a window but was overcome by fumes. Girls each tried to get out for fresh air but neither made it far.
Must have been very high concentration. As the oxygen was consumed in the garage by the running engine, the engine would run richer and richer causing even more CO to be produced. A real tragedy.
That’s what I thought too. According to Wikipedia, concentrations of CO over 12000 ppm will lead to unconsciousness within two or three breaths, and death within a few minutes.
Since it has a greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen does, dragging the victim to open air and rescue breathing is not going to help a whole lot.
Note to self - no closed space, bad air rescues. Call 911, break windows, open doors. Wait.
No kidding! Good advice. I’m pretty sure however that the only way to achieve those levels are the car/suicide scenario. Never seen anything even remotely close to that when I was doing heating service work. The products of combustion would have to be totally contained.
“Tragic stupid double Darwin award. Killed himself and his progeny.”
FWIW regarding a phony award based on all phony stories, he would not be eligible, as he already procreated.
Not if his progeny dies along with him. Removed from the gene pool.
Bet the idiot didn’t realize he had three people willing to risk death to try to save him. Sad.
this is so horrifyingly sad.....may God have mercy on his soul.....
I have a friends dad who started their car in the garage on a cold day, walked away for time then returned. Took a breath and passed out.
Mom noticed he was still home, went to the garage, saw him on the floor, tried to help but was overcome by fumes, too.
Tragic but it happens.
That reminds me of this story I posted 4 years ago...
Family of 3 found dead (Car left running in Garage)
San Antonio Express-News ^ | 04/24/2009 | By Jeorge Zarazua and Alejandro Martinez-Cabrera
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 8:45:52 AM by Responsibility2nd
They are usually very depressed.
Why didn't you say so?
That makes it OK then.
The two daughters were adopted from China.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.