1) the State Department had the necessary budget
2) wanted Benghazi to become a permanent consulate
3) it was 1 of only 15 sites out of 300 globally to be rated at the 2 highest levels
4) and MOST DAMNING - ignored multiple formal requests to bring it up to legal standards after multiple, serious security incidents
5) The false narrative of a protest based on a YouTube video caused irreparable harm to the newly elected Libyan leader and caused a delay of the FBI getting to the scene by 18 days or more
There are only 15 facilities around the world rated "high" or "critical" - out of almost 300. The Benghazi site was rated "critical" (the highest threat) and needed H.R. Clinton's authorization to operate it while at the officially documented, legally deficient state of security, before the attack.
H.R. Clinton told Stevens, presumably ordered by Obama, that this admin's goal was to make Benghazi a permanent consulate. But, career state department employees were threatened, and demoted, for using official channels to make basic requests for security before the mid-term election.
In 1804 or so, Thomas Jefferson dispatched a squadron of warships to rescue imprisoned American sailors from the Barbary Pirates whose home port was at Derna, near Benghazi. They weren’t concerned about any “Cross Border Authority,” so Lt.Presley O’Bannon and a crew of Marines and sailors freed the hostages at the Shores of Tripoli. That’s what CINCs do.