Skip to comments.
Report: Iran to send 4,000 Revolutionary Guards to bolster Assadís forces
Al Arabiya ^
| June 16, 2013
Posted on 06/16/2013 2:38:38 AM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
Iran is to reportedly send 4,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guards to Syria to support President Bashar al-Assad in the fight against opposition forces, according to the The Independent on Sunday.
In what was described as an Iranian military decision, the British newspaper said Iran was now fully committed to preserving Assads regime, citing unnamed pro-Iranian sources.
The sources have been deeply involved in the Islamic Republics security, even to the extent of proposing to open up a new Syrian front on the Golan Heights against Israel, The Independents Robert Fisk wrote.
The decision, allegedly made before this weeks presidential election, was to send a first contingent of 4,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guards to Syria to support President Bashar al-Assad's forces against the largely Sunni rebellion, Fisk reported.
Iran is a predominantly Shiite Muslim country, and a close ally of President Assad, who belongs to the Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam.
Earlier this month Iran congratulated the Syrian army on their victory in the strategic central town of Qusayr after an 18-day battle....
(Excerpt) Read more at english.alarabiya.net ...
TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Israel; News/Current Events; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: alqaeda; assad; basharalassad; iran; iransryiawar; obama; shiites; sryiawar; syria
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-20, 21-30 last
The entire world knows that the USA is led by an incompetent poseur. No country is respectful of the military that is being dismantled every day by this president.
From February of 2012:
...The Syrian opposition announced earlier that commander of Irans elite Quds Force, Qassem Suleimani, advises the Syrian authorities on quashing the countrys opposition movement, the Telegraph newspaper reports.
According to the Israeli daily Haaretz, the Quds Force includes 15,000 elite soldiers, who operated in Iraq and other wars on foreign soil. The Quds is reportedly in charge of training and funding Hezbollah...
From May of 2012:
Iran confirmed Sunday that it has, as previously speculated, sent troops to aid President Bashar Assad’s crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in his country...
posted on 06/16/2013 5:10:36 AM PDT
("Ya could look it up!")
Practically all of the world’s geopolitical problems either originate with, or are exacerbated by, our evil, low-IQ, incompetent, sociopathic poseur of a “president.”
posted on 06/16/2013 5:45:43 AM PDT
How will they get to Syria? Iran has no common border with Syria. They will either have to:
1. Drive through Northern Iraq (Iraq wouldn’t allow it)
2. Fly over Iraq (I doubt/hope Iraq wouldn’t allow that)
3. Sail through the Suez Canal (Egypt may not allow it and if they did Israel would be able to take the out as they will be bottle necked)
posted on 06/16/2013 5:47:48 AM PDT
(I have a copy of the Constitution! And I'm not afraid to use it!)
Thanks 2ndDivisionVet. That's 4,000 *more*.
Yakhont and S-300 keywords newest to oldest:
- Tanks in Beirut as Syria protest leaves one dead
- 'US close to OK on arming Syrian rebels'
- Report: S-300 Missiles Now on Their Way to Syria
- Israeli officials: Al-Qaida preferable over Assad
- Putin: No S-300 in Syria Yet
- Moscow threatens to speed missiles to Syria but also offers to delay
- Russia has not transfered S-300 missiles to Syria, reports say
- US: Syria Does Not Have Advanced Missiles Yet
- Syria: Obama talks no fly zones, Putin sends missiles
- Russia delivers air-defense missiles to Syria as opposition rejects Geneva conference
- Assad: S-300 Missiles Already Here
- Israel Strongly Warns Russia Against Giving Syria Missiles
- Israel threatens to strike Russia's shipments of missiles to Syria
- Russia to ship missiles to Syria after EU ends arms embargo on rebels
- Diplomat: Russia to arm Syria regime with anti-aircraft missiles to prevent foreign intervention
- Russia canceled S-300 deal with Assad, report says
- Israel pushed to spell out gas export plan
- Dangerous Price Manipulation Rocks Energy Markets (Natural Gas)
- Report: Russia sends Assad 'ship killing missile'
- Report: Russia Sends Warships To Syrian Coast
- Russia Sends More Advanced Missiles to Aid Assad in Syria
- CIA chief pays surprise visit to Israel (John Brennan)
- 5 Questions on Russian S-300 Missile System Sales to Syria
- Iran Reports 'Progress' on Indigenous S-300 Missile
- Russia gave Israel Iranian system's codes
- Syria deploys "Bastion" missile system along coastline
- Iran: We've Produced Domestic Version Of S-300 Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Supersonic Cruise Missile in Development (South Korea)
- "Barak 8" versus "Yakhont" (Israeli vs Russian missile)
- Indonesian Navy successfully tests Russian anti-ship missile
- Russia confirms plans to supply Syria with Yakhont missiles
- Russia confirms plans to supply Syria with Yakhont missiles (Update 1)
- Keeping S-300 Alive
- Iran Claims it's Got its Own S-300, Really Guys?
- Iran Successfully Tests Own S-300 Missile Defense System
- Iran holds war games, set to launch S300s
- Iran to test own S-300 missiles despite Russia
- Israel warns Russia that Iran may get S-300 via Venezuela
- S-300 Marches Into The Future
- Russia may sell S-300 missiles to Venezuela, instead of Iran
- Russia to Refund Iran for Canceled Missile Deal [Medvedev's one-day Cyprus visit]
- Iran to Get Money Back (for S-300)
- How serious is the P800 Yakhont threat?
- Russia to Deliver 800 Supersonic Anti Ship Cruise Missiles to Syria
- Russia to honor deal to sell P-800 anti-ship missiles to Syria
- Moscow: Sale to Syria of advanced cruise missile will not change military balance in region
- Keeping Yakhont Out Of Iran
- Iran Official: We Have Obtained The S-300 Missile System
- Iran claims to have S-300 surface-to-air missiles
- Israel 'close to deal on F-35'
- Contract on S-300 deliveries to Iran not canceled
- Senior MP: Iran Mulling over Rival Defense Systems for S-300
- Iran's Intelligence Ministry Urges Moving Away From Russia
- Fire breaks out at Russian missile maker
- With lifting of U.S. ban, Russia plans delivery of S-300s
- Russia to offer Turkey advanced surface-to-air missiles
- Russia moves to scrap Iran missile sale
- Russian-Iranian S-300 missile deal not against UN resolution ó U.S.
- What new UN Iran sanctions allow: Air defense systems
- Sanctions won't hit Russia's missile sales to Iran: senior politicians
- IDF Attacks 3 Gaza Tunnels
- Something Odd Is Happening Outside Moscow
- Former air force chief: Russia's air defenses weak
- 'AL-HAYAT': RUSSIA SUPPLIED SYRIA WITH S-300 MISSILES
- S-300s Crowd The Coast
- TERRORISM and COUNTERTERRORISM: News, INFORMATION & Analysis #2
- Iran upset over Russia's S-300 delivery delay
- Low Cost, Slightly Legal, Missile Protection
- Russia plans complete military-space defence capabilities by 2015
- Russia ships China 15 S-300 missile systems--report
- China buys air defense systems from Russia
- Iran believed developing S-300 variant aided by Russian contractors
- Riyadh mulls big Russian missile buy
- Air Force strikes in Gaza; 2 injured
- No need to worry over China missile deployment: MND
- Russia will honour Iran missile deal: minister
- Russia delays delivery of S-300 advanced air defence missiles to Iran
- Russian official says missile delivery to Iran delayed
- No reason to stall Iran missiles deal, Moscow says
- Despite Netanyahu pressure, Russia defends Iran missile deal
- Russia to honour Iran missile deal
- Iran And The Chinese Gambit
- Russia sells Libya top-line S-300 denied to Tehran
- Russia has assured Iran on missile delivery: diplomat
- Russia 'will' deliver S-300 to Iran in 2 months
- Israeli pilots prep to fight Iran's SAMs
- Iran threatens Russia with legal action(over failure to deliver S-300 SAM)
- Iran's key sites exposed without S-300s
- Iran warns it may produce S-300 system
- Iran calls on Russia to fulfill missile sales deal
- IRAN AND THE S-300 ISSUE
- Russia may go ahead with Iran missile deal
- Iran 'has not paid Russia' in 'frozen' missile deal=S-300
- Abject Surrender in the Dead of Night
- Abject Surrender In Dead Of Night
- A Mysterious "Hijacking"
- Hijacking, S-300, and Another "Mystery" Ship
- Russia may nix S-300 sale to Iran
- Russian Yakhont Missile to deploy on Syria's Coastline?
- Shooting Down The Raptor
- Saving The (F-22) Raptor
- Russia says not selling missile system to Iran: report
- Iran says S-300 missile deal with Russia on track
- Shooting Down Missile Defense
- Russia has not delivered S-300 missile systems to Iran - source
- 'Russia freezes sale of S-300 to Iran'
- Russia Freezes Sale Of S-300 To Iran
- Kremlin must decide on sales of S-300 to Iran - Rosoboronexport
- Gilad to Russia: Don't sell Iran arms
- Russia: No S-300 Defense System for Iran
- U.S. Report Says Iran Purchases S-300
- Threat Matrix: September 2008
- Russia threatens to supply Iran with top new missile system as 'cold war' escalates
- 'We'll Neutralize S-300 if they're Sold to Iran'
- Advanced S-300 on way to Iran
- Greece Helped Israel Study Iranian Air Defense System
- Israel worries Iran may give Russian anti-ship missile to Syria, Hizbullah
- SYRIA MULLS S-300PMU2 SYSTEM
- Russia has sent four S-300 anti-aircraft systems to Belarus
- Veniamin Yefremov: Russian weapons designer who outwitted the Pentagon
- Russia Develops New Support Vehicle for S-300, Plans to Export
- Polish Analyst: Russia May Send S-300 Missiles to Iran via Belarus
- Russian missiles on Polish border
- Russia denies reports about transfer of S-300 missiles to Iran-(hubba hubba)
posted on 06/16/2013 6:00:57 AM PDT
(McCain or Romney would have been worse, if you're a dumb ass.)
Why not send them through Russia?
posted on 06/16/2013 11:43:57 AM PDT
2. Fly over Iraq (I doubt/hope Iraq wouldnt allow that)
They’ve been flying arms across Iraq for a while now. I imagine this is the likely method of deployment Iran will use.
posted on 06/16/2013 2:08:30 PM PDT
(Those who remember George Santayana are doomed to repeat him)
Keeping the meat grinder going in Syria is really good. If anything I hope Hussein gives the fsa *justtt* enough support to keep this going for a long time.
It would be nice to see it happen. I have met with a lot of people from Iran. Those who have a Persian background are smart, cultural, hard working, cool headed. The Arabs are a different matter.
posted on 06/16/2013 6:29:51 PM PDT
(Once a Jolly Swagman camped by a Billabong.)
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-20, 21-30 last
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson