Skip to comments.Man claims to have poisoned passengers on Newark-bound flight
Posted on 06/17/2013 9:16:09 AM PDT by RummyChick
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Newark-bound United Airlines flight is carrying a passenger who reportedly informed the crew that he "poisoned everyone on board."
United Flight 116, from Hong Kong, is set to land at 1:30 p.m.
There is no evidence that passengers have been poisoned, and officials believe the man who made the claim is emotionally disturbed.
He and others on board will be interviewed when plane lands.
(Excerpt) Read more at abclocal.go.com ...
Sure seems to be a lot of stuff going on with planes lately.
Pretty thin on the details.
i call BS...
IIRC the route of that flight takes it over Alaska and Canada as it heads southeast to NYC.Why aren’t they landing in Canada (or Alaska) instead of NYC? I suppose it’s understandable that the Canadians wouldn’t want the flight unless there was an immediate emergency.
the guy is restrained and they don’t believe he poisoned anyone.
I guess people would feel sick by now because it is a long flight
Every nutjob in the world can get his fifteen minutes. We get buried under the avalanche 24/7.
He is CORRECT - the crew served to mystery rubber chicken dish...
It kind of reminds me of the old joke about Winston Churchill (I think it was him, maybe it was some other Brit) at a Dinner Party and he had made some sarcastic remark that caused a woman to say that if she was his wife that she'd put poison in his Drink. Churchill replied that if she was his wife, he'd drink it...
Thus my analogy to people on their way to Newark...
“Welcome To The Friendly Skies.” Yea right! Shut up and sit down so this filthy aluminum sausage can get off the ground.
look up.... your redemption draweth nigh
I’d bet big money that it’s another schizophrenic off his medications.
Did you have the fish?
The media cares more about being first than accuracy.
It's a 15 hour flight.
You could be right but I would think that there's no way to be absolutely sure that he didn't do it in a way or at a time where symptoms could be delayed.Hey,maybe I'm just a bit paranoid.And you're correct about the flight...I've done it both ways.Westbound it was 16 hours in the air,eastbound it was about 15.
(And I did it in coach.Yikes!)
There is an old Twilight Zone episode that I saw once on tv while in a bar in New York City. People in the bar were laughing when they saw this. Richard Pryor appears in the episode as the Devil wearing a t-shirt that says “Hell is a city much like Newark.”
The flights I was on had one of those route screens that give various details...it showed our route going over northern/central Alaska and down into Canada.My flights were in winter...maybe there’s a different route in summer.
This one is on a polar route which is common for long 777 flights. The engines are monitored by telemetry. Cool stuff.
Ah yes, I had the lasagna...
Silent but deadly gas attack?
Is that racist?
Yup,I understand polar routes.I've done NYC to East Asia (Japan,HK,etc) a few times.My point is that either the route you linked to isn't "universal",is incorrect or at least one such flight I've been on took a rather atypical route (weather,perhaps?) No big deal....
IIRC some flights between South America and Australia/New Zealand take *southern* polar routes.That whould be pretty impressive during the southern summer I'll wager.Until one of the flights crashed into Mount Erebus I always wanted to take one of those Air New Zealand sightseeing flights to Antarctica.But they stopped after that crash.
Should be landing about now. Will it be allowed to go to the terminal, or evacuated at a remote corner of the airport?
you know..there is a 99 % chance that the individual in question is mentally ill... but the 1% chance that he has infected a passenger plane with a biological weapon is too scary a scenario to dismiss the whole thing entirely.
depending on the language of the person in question “infected and poisoned” could be translated similarly ( I say this as some one who lived in an Asian country for several years.
again...probably just a psychotic individual, but if we are now spying on millions of innocent americans, we should at least check out thoroughly someone who has claimed to have committed a terrorist attack.
People who are associated with known terrorist advocating organizations and people who claim to actually be terrorists are exempt from suspicion.
Didn’t you get the memo?
I’m voting for nutcase. Why would a real terrorist poison them with a biological agent and then announce it, possibly in time for them to be disinfected or treated? And if he hoped that they would go out and spread it (a virus, for example), then certainly telling the whole world in advance wouldn’t be a good idea.
We lose vast amounts of time - not to mention lives, occasionally - to these roving nutcases. And China is evidently as bad as the US on dealing with the mentally ill, which is to say, they don’t deal with them at all.
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
A man aboard a United Airlines flight bound for Newark Liberty International Airport claimed his fellow passengers on the plane had been poisoned.
United Flight 116 from Hong Kong landed at Newark just after 1:30 p.m. and taxied to an area away from the gates. More than a dozen Port Authority police vehicles were parked on the tarmac along with several buses to transport passengers to the terminal.
Police went into the plane and removed a man in handcuffs. The man, wearing Khakis, a blue shirt and a hooded jacket, was loaded him into an ambulance.
A spokeswoman for United confirmed the incident in a statement, saying: “While en route from Hong Kong to Newark, a passenger became disruptive on board United flight 116. The crew followed procedures and the flight is continuing as scheduled. “
The FBI says there is no indication that any passengers had actually been poisoned. Various media outlets are reporting the man is emotionally disturbed.
I just came out of the shower...what did I miss?
EXACTLY....has all the hallmarks of schizo behavior....my sister claimed to poison my husband and I (in a letter to someone that we confiscated). My Mom still can’t figure out why I don’t want to be around her.
Gee I wonder what the TSA is going to take away now?
Hard to say.I'm gonna check it out to satisfy my own curiosity.My only experience of this sort happened in Germany in the 80's (before the Wall came down) where there was a report of a bomb on the aircraft.The pilot taxied to a remote part of the airport and we were told to get out (via the stairs..it was a 727) and run to a meeting point away from the aircraft.There wasn't a bomb after all,just a prank that occurred often according to the airline.Of course this incident is at least somewhat different than that.