Skip to comments.Boys burned during experiment at Covington science camp remain hospitalized
Posted on 06/19/2013 7:40:02 PM PDT by BBell
Two young boys who suffered burns during an accident at a science camp in Covington remained hospitalized Tuesday, the state fire marshal said. Meanwhile, the investigation was continuing into what sparked the fire during a science experiment.
"This is a tragic accident,'' Louisiana Fire Marshal H. "Butch'' Browning Jr. said. "Our first concern is to see these children recover and heal.''
Browning said the 9-year-old boy at a burn unit in a Shreveport hospital was in critical condition. A 10-year-old boy in a burn unit in a Baton Rouge hospital also is listed in critical condition, but Browning said "last reports were that he's improving.''
The boys were burned during a science experiment gone awry while attending the "Myth Busters Science Camp'' at St. Scholastica Academy on Monday morning, Covington Fire Chief Richard Badon said. A third boy sustained minor injuries and an instructor also received minor injuries as he tried to extinguish one boy's flaming clothes, Badon said.
(Excerpt) Read more at nola.com ...
This really stinks.
They will probably never be the same.
Yes it does. As of today both boys are still in critical condition.
A flash fire caused by an experiment investigated by a Fire Marshall by the name of BROWNING. Whatever..Do hope the young one is 100 percent soon.
I never cared for that Myth busters show much.
I only watched it a few times.
The campers were conducting an experiment in which powdered sugar is converted to carbon, using alcohol as a heating source, Badon said Monday. Something went wrong, triggering an alcohol fire, similar to a flash fire, officials said. The fire was put out before firefighters arrived on the scene.
This is a simple but stinky experiment.
There was something wrong with the equipment.
I smell law suit.
Was there no fire extinguisher?
For the record, I duplicated this experiment smoking a turkey with cider in the water pan.
Had to throw the danged smoker away.
Alcohol once it starts to atomize can get very volatile.
This is a pretty stupid thing to allow 9 and 10 year olds to be doing.
I thought they must have been making screaming Jelly Babies!
Alcohol fires are especially terrible because the flame is almost invisible. Many race car drivers have been seriously burned with no visible flame.
Yessir, and it is hot as hell.
It’s fine. You just need an adult ensuring safety precautions. Namely the handling of the alcohol.
An adult screwed up if this occurred.
“This is a pretty stupid thing to allow 9 and 10 year olds to be doing. “
No it isn’t.
Well, tell that to those two boys in the burn unit.
“Well, tell that to those two boys in the burn unit.”
Sometimes accidents happen. Sometimes bad things happen.
We can’t (and we shouldn’t expect our kids to) live in a risk free perfectly safe world.
Or should we ban everything and pass a law that everything should be made of “nerf”?
Being burned really sucks. I pray he will recover.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.