Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

‘Quit Europe’ vote more likely after Cameron agrees to change referendum question
Daily Mail (UK) ^ | 18:44 EST, 15 June 2013 | Brendan Carlin

Posted on 06/20/2013 6:15:36 AM PDT by Olog-hai

David Cameron has agreed to change his controversial EU referendum blueprint amid fears the original plans could unfairly produce a “stay in” result.

The Prime Minister has bowed to Euroskeptic pressure and revised the crucial “in/out” question to be put to the nation if he wins the next Election. The alteration will see voters asked if the UK should “be” in the EU, rather than “remain” as in the original wording. …

Last night, experts said the change could be crucial.

Damian Lyons Lowe, of pollsters Survation, said: “The original question set out last month gave us 51 percent in favor of leaving the EU and 49 percent against in a survey. That’s a statistical dead heat. But the rephrasing could tip the balance further in favor of leaving the EU.”

The change has been made even though Mr. Cameron believes that Britain should remain in a reformed EU. …

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...


TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Government; News/Current Events; United Kingdom
KEYWORDS: brexit; davidcameron; eussr; referendum

1 posted on 06/20/2013 6:15:37 AM PDT by Olog-hai
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson