Skip to comments.80% of Pre-Packaged Foods in America Are Banned in Other Countries
Posted on 06/24/2013 5:04:31 PM PDT by opentalk
If you or your kids enjoy pre-packaged convenience foods commonly found in grocery stores across the U.S. such as Froot Loops, Swanson dinners, Mountain Dew, and frozen potato and bread products, you may think twice before purchasing them after hearing what they contain: dangerous chemicals that other countries around the globe have deemed toxic to the point that they're illegal, and companies are fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for including them in food products.
In a new book Rich Food, Poor Food, authors Mira and Jason Calton provide a list of what they term "Banned Bad Boys" - ingredients commonly used in up to 80% of all American convenience food that have been banned by other countries, with information about which countries banned each substance and why.
And though it might not surprise you to hear that Olestra -commonly used in low/no-fat snack foods and known to cause serious gastrointestinal issues for those who consume it (understatement) - is on that list, having been banned in both the United Kingdom and Canada, you may be shocked to hear that Mountain Dew, Fresca and Squirt all contain brominated vegetable oil, a substance that has been banned in more than 100 countries "because it has been linked to basically every form of thyroid disease - from cancer to autoimmune diseases - known to man."
(Excerpt) Read more at shine.yahoo.com ...
Well they must be dangerous if they’re banned in other countries.
funny, because 20% of the American population outweighs the other 80%.
Ever taste "milk in a bag" in South America? Makes the crap they serve here, even the organic, taste like water. And it's good for 3 months. On a shelf, not the fridge.
We eat garbage? We eat poisons? Who knew?!
I have heard of people from Denmark smuggling fruit loops back home.
The mama state run wild, the the statists are holing this up as a model for us!
Then there is dihydrogen monoxide. It is used in many industrial chemical processes, munitions manufacturing, and even nuclear power. The stuff kills thousands every year, but the FDA won’t do a thing about it!
I jokingly asked a safety officer at work why we didn't have an MSDS on dihydrogen monoxide, and the next day he actually brought one in that he had found on a satirical website. The only problem was, he thought it was serious!
I personally wouldn't use the stuff, since it's obviously a chemical.
I opened a can of beans today and saw that it contained water- “which is used make things like... “ concrete and rust!
No way I’m putting that stuff in me!
In most of Europe, and certainly in Norway, aspirin is banned or as good as banned. There’s a loophole, though: you’re so far allowed a gift of three months use from friends abroad, and YOU are the only arbiter of what three months use is. So I get care packages from Mesta.
Europe also quit making diabetes foods and drinks years ago. Not enough money in it for the grocery chains.
I actually saw a label in some health food store that stated “contains no chemicals”. How does the stuff exist?
I love milk. I could subsist on milk. As a child, it was a run to get to the milk when it was still warm, before anything happened to it :).
That's to keep the other countries from pushing us around.
Just like freedom
And is that a problem for the U.S.? Or for other countries?
I exercise the right not to eat them.
So let them starve, dumb asses!
“Banned in other countries” Probably means 1 or 2 “other” countries.
Have you tried Raw Milk?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.