Skip to comments.Legislature passes new education laws (Taiwan)
Posted on 06/28/2013 1:36:53 AM PDT by TexGrill
The legislature yesterday voted in favor of the Chinese Nationalist Partys (KMT) proposal for a 12-year national education program, despite President Ma Ying-jeous (馬英九) pledges that senior-high schools and vocational education would be entirely tuition-free from beginning next year, and that all students would be admitted to such schools without entrance examinations.
Under the Senior Secondary Education Act (高級中等教育法) and the amendment to the Junior College Act (專科學校法) passed by the legislature yesterday, an economic threshold will be set to exclude students from more well-off households from tuition support if they opt to study at certain senior-high schools.
The laws require that junior-high schools in each of the nations 15 districts provide no less than 75 percent exam-free enrollment, while the remaining 25 percent is to be available for students through entrance examinations who wish to attend schools with particularly strong specialties such as mathematics and science, fine arts, sports, nursing, computer science or music with admission rules varying from district to district.
Each senior-high school or vocational school must provide at least 25 percent exam-free enrollment every year, the laws stipulate.
(Excerpt) Read more at taipeitimes.com ...