Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

To troops and furloughed Defense civilians, Hagel offers empathy but no hope for budget help
Washington Post and AP ^ | 21 July 13 | Staff Writers

Posted on 07/21/2013 8:38:53 AM PDT by SkyPilot

JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. — The audience gasped in surprise and gave a few low whistles as Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel delivered the news that furloughs, which have forced a 20 percent pay cut on most of the military’s civilian workforce, probably will continue next year, and it might get worse.

“Those are the facts of life,” Hagel told about 300 Defense Department employees, most of them middle-aged civilians, last week at an Air Force reception hall on a military base in Charleston.

Future layoffs also are possible for the department’s civilian workforce of more than 800,000 employees, Hagel said, if Congress fails to stem the cuts in the next budget year, which starts Oct. 1.

On the heels of the department’s first furlough day, and in three days of visits with members of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, Hagel played the unenviable role of messenger to a frustrated and fearful workforce coping with the inevitability of a spending squeeze at the end of more than a decade of constant and costly war.

The fiscal crunch also lays bare the politically unpopular, if perhaps necessary, need to bring runaway military costs in line with most of the rest of the American public that has struggled economically for years.

“Everybody’s bracing for the impact,” Army Master Sgt. Trey Corrales said after Hagel spoke with soldiers during a quick stop at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Corrales’ wife, a military civilian employee, is among those furloughed, and they have cancelled their cable TV and started carpooling to work to save money.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...


TOPICS: Extended News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: budget; furlough; military; sequester
“The effects of the economy have started to hit the military,” Corrales said. “It was late in coming to us.”

The furloughs have hit about 650,000 civilian employees but also have slowed health care and other services for the uniformed military, which has stopped some training missions and faces equipment shortages due to the budget shortfalls. Troops were told this month they will no longer receive extra pay for deployments to 18 former global hot spots no longer considered danger zones.

Troops already are facing force reductions, and the Army alone has announced plans to trim its ranks by 80,000 over the next five years.

______________________________________________________________

I remember just a few short months ago many Freepers giggling that the Sequester was "a joke."

I said then, and I will say now, it isn't "a joke" to the US military. Despite being 17% of the budget, it endures 50% of all Sequester cuts, which EXEMPT our explosive Entitlement spending.

Obama and Hagel are shameful, using DoD electricians, maintainers, hospital staff, trainers, and engineers as pawns. No other Federal agency is still furloughing, but lowly paid GS-5 single mothers and fathers who contribute to this nation's defense get 20% of their paychecks stolen from them while we give away Billions to the Muslim Brotherhood, gopher research, and electrical grid upgrades to Sub-Sahara Africa.

Food Stamp takers and SSDI scammers come away unscathed by the Sequester.

The Republicans are no better they knew that DoD had been slammed by two previous massive budget cuts under Obama before Sequestration, but they didn't care.

Now, they are silent as a loyal DoD workforce is punished and financially ruined by its own Federal government. Over 44% of these DoD workers are veterans themselves, many with back to back deployments under their belt, some even with Purple Hearts. It does not matter. They are abandoned.

Shame on this nation.

1 posted on 07/21/2013 8:38:53 AM PDT by SkyPilot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

Just spreading the Detroit around.


2 posted on 07/21/2013 8:43:09 AM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

“Despite being 17% of the budget, it endures 50% of all Sequester cuts, which EXEMPT our explosive Entitlement spending.”

The impact of these unwise cuts will be creating damage for two decades to come. The pubbies who agreed to this need to be replaced.


3 posted on 07/21/2013 8:47:39 AM PDT by Gen.Blather
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot
"...The fiscal crunch also lays bare the politically unpopular, if perhaps necessary, need to bring runaway military costs in line with most of the rest of the American public..."

He11 yeah! We got mo 'potant chit to be worried bout!


4 posted on 07/21/2013 8:48:20 AM PDT by skimbell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot; All

Because we cannot allow the spirit of this type of volunteerism to continue without some sort of impact from liberal destructive agenda(s)...

Maybe those that are tossed out on the street can get jobs with the local police departments in their hometowns...They are ramping up their militaristic persona in the way they approach policing...So it might not be much of a transition for some of them...

Or they can get a job at the IRS, they need some muscle to keep the peeps in line when Obamacare goes online...

Or even the Civilian Corp Obama talks about every now and then...You know, the one that is supposed to be as well armed and trained as our military...Perfect fit...

Ohhhh, I forgot.../sarc


5 posted on 07/21/2013 8:51:58 AM PDT by stevie_d_64 (It's not the color of one's skin that offends people...it's how thin it is.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: skimbell
The fiscal crunch also lays bare the politically unpopular, if perhaps necessary, need to bring runaway military costs in line with most of the rest of the American public that has struggled economically for years.

That actually is BS by the Associated Press. The military has been under the knife of massive cuts since 2009.

This is what the Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee has said on the subject, and it is documented fact:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-06/opinions/39789376_1_defense-budget-readiness-war-funding

"In 2012, U.S. military readiness plummeted — an unprecedented occurrence during wartime. The decline effectively has our troops swirling around the drain, and readiness will plunge further when the full weight of sequestration is realized. There have been three rounds of defense cuts in the past four years. Then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates fired the opening salvo during the first year of the Obama administration. His effort was a successful failure: Gates’s reordering of the defense budget produced nearly $300 billion in savings, which was slated to support deployed forces in the Middle East. Instead, most of it was snatched by the Obama White House and used to support domestic priorities. No other federal agency was asked or expected to go through similar housecleaning. In April 2011, the president proposed cutting the defense budget by nearly half a trillion dollars. Congress acquiesced in order to avert a government shutdown. Although less than 20 percent of the federal budget is spent on our military, half of the cuts in the 2011 Budget Control Act came on the backs of our troops. What was the military forced to do? Rely on further supplemental war funding to keep its head above water. Most of the money authorized for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has gone to our deployed forces. But some of it has gone toward restoring readiness — fixing tanks, repairing ships and resetting equipment damaged in combat — because the base budget isn’t sufficient to keep aging equipment, mostly from the Reagan era, in working condition. But the White House has snipped this budgetary lifeline. According to senior military leaders’ testimony to the House Armed Services Committee in February, the Obama administration’s fiscal 2013 war funding request was short by approximately $12 billion. And this year’s initial submission for war funding was less than that — even as our best fighter squadrons were being grounded, tens of thousands of troops were being forced out of uniform and lines were growing for overdue equipment maintenance. About the same time the Defense Department was issuing furlough notices to nearly 800,000 people, the White House revised its request, slashing the defense budget by an additional $5 billion."

Where is the Republican leadership to this pornography?

No where.

We know Obama is the Destroyer, but the Republicans simply don't care.

Never in my life did I think I would witness the day that we steal from the paychecks of nurses caring for our wounded at Walter Reed, and Washington would just "let it happen."


6 posted on 07/21/2013 9:13:13 AM PDT by SkyPilot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

Obama will use this money to give newly legalized immigrants foodstamps, medicaid, section 8, TANF (now permanent), and other benefits.


7 posted on 07/21/2013 9:17:20 AM PDT by Thunder90 (All posts soley represent my own opinion.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Thunder90

He already is.


8 posted on 07/21/2013 9:36:14 AM PDT by SkyPilot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

<< DOD is 17% of the budget, it endures 50% of all Sequester cuts, which EXEMPT our explosive Entitlement spending. >>

And Billions $$ to the Sunni Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, to the Sunni Muslims in their civil war against the Shia Muslims in Syria, and rebuilding Mosques in Sunni Muslim countries.


9 posted on 07/21/2013 9:45:21 AM PDT by george76 (Ward Churchill : Fake Indian, Fake Scholarship, and Fake Art)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

I returned home in May and started burning down 509 hours of earned vacation. I was told that we had contract extension funding starting in mid-July and the new contract would be starting in July. Reality check: I’m at 312 hours remaining
and the government pushed the new contract date to Oct 1st. The extension funding was rescinded. The remaining vacation won’t bridge the new gap before the HR machinery revs up to shove me out the door. I’m going to find some other tasking and the customer who left me twisting in the wind will have to look for help elsewhere.


10 posted on 07/21/2013 10:19:08 AM PDT by Myrddin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot

bkmk


11 posted on 07/21/2013 1:40:41 PM PDT by AllAmericanGirl44 ('Hey citizen, what's in YOUR closet?')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SkyPilot
I have no problem with it hitting the military.

I want to know when it is going to start hitting the other Federal departments and their vast land arks full of political sinecures.

12 posted on 07/21/2013 1:48:55 PM PDT by Mr. Jeeves (CTRL-GALT-DELETE)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Jeeves

“I have no problem with it hitting the military.”

With all the other wasteful spending that could be cut and reigned in within the Federal Government...why should we in the military have to take the brunt of the cuts?


13 posted on 07/21/2013 1:52:28 PM PDT by txradioguy (Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson