Skip to comments.Florida baby dies after ingesting detergent pod
Posted on 08/16/2013 8:35:33 PM PDT by rickmichaels
A Florida infant has reportedly died after eating a laundry detergent pod something authorities have been warning about ever since the brightly coloured little packets hit the market.
The boy, identified by local media as Michael Williams, was at a central Florida battered women's shelter with his mother, who reported she'd left the pods, which are given to residents by the shelter, inside a laundry basket on the bed where her son was sleeping.
She stepped away, and when she returned, the baby had eaten one packet and was starting on a second one, police spokeswoman Stacie Miller told the Orlando Sentinel.
The boy was coughing but alert and breathing when paramedics arrived. He was taken to hospital, where his condition worsened and he died.
Health Canada issued a warning last July about the dangers of detergent pods after several reports of children becoming ill from ingesting the candy-like packages.
Ingesting the packs can cause vomiting, a burning sensation in the mouth, difficulty breathing and drowsiness.
This may be the first case in North America of a death linked to the pods.
How about keeping them in the top-load washer where the toddlers can’t reach them
The stupid shelter killed him
Horrible. I don’t even like touching the toxic things with my bare hands.
The detergent pod is at fault rather than the in attentive mother?
Sad... poor thing... poor mama too... i am surprised the shelter didn’t ensure the detergent would be out of reach... when we adopted our boys through the county foster system, we had to follow very strict rules about such things...
I wouldn’t be in such a haste to judge the mother, in this instance. If she were in a house or apartment, she could have put the pod out of reach, or she could have had the baby in a separate room. It’s very difficult to control everything in an environment like a shelter.
She was in a shelter? And her baby was left out of her sight?
I am most certainly wrong in thinking the safety of her child was out of her control. Shelters are such family friendly places.
I should qualify my statement.
I have been a battered wife.
Some things you go beyond yourself to protect.
“This may be the first case in North America of a death linked to the pods.”
So other deaths linked to pods have already taken place elsewhere?
I feel awful for the baby. Rest in peace, dear child.
The important question though... was the detergent free of phosphates?
We need to protect the planet, you know.
Ping... read the comments...
FWIW, logically you cannot draw that conclusion. Their statement is also true if they have no idea whatsoever about deaths in places other than North America.
On a similar thread a couple of months ago, somebody posted a picture of Willy Wonka displaying one of these “pods” in his hand. (I’ve been rummaging around and can’t find it.) They really do look like swirly peppermints or some kind of candy.
Chuck Shumer is on record of saying these products are bad because they are so colorful and look like candy and he just wants to eat one. When I saw the post I thought of him and how he will now go on TV and tell us all about the evils of these pods and how they will have to be baby proofed and all.
Sue and close down the shelter.
Has this event been verified? Something just does not add up.
Can a seven-month old baby open one of these detergent packets on its own? How? With what? Their hands? Their teeth? To me, it all seems implausible.
Just my two pesos.
something smells here...
A lot of bad things look good to children.
Although accidents do happen, it is not the fault of the product. Sometimes there is no fault. Sometimes, something escapes the mother (or fathers ) notice.
To believe otherwise, is to believe that parents need the government to help raise children.
The end game, is control of the people.
I feel sorry for those that can not see the ruse.
So, its the shelters fault?
The mother, as a victim of abuse, has no responsibility to ensure the safety of the child she brought into the world? No responsibility? She’s in a shelter, so her motherhood is is null and void? Now the mother is a child as well?
Sorry. I don’t buy it.
Zero tolerance to all poisons. The parents are at fault for making anything reachable. When my daughter was small, we kept all detergents in a cabinet above the washer and dryer.
When my first child was born, we went to parent training. They brought in a pharmacist to help tell us how to baby proof our house. He had horror story after horror story of kids accidently thinking a poison was candy or a soft drink.
He’d put a can of pepsi on the counter. And then put a can of stump remover next to it, with almost identical coloring.
And he did this repeatedly with product after product.
You could hear the hurt in his voice as he relayed some of the horror stories he had personally seen.
I wish they had made a video of that guy and made it required watching for every parent.
Yes Spock. It’s not good to be so illogical. Live long and prosper. :)
Just kidding! (Well, only about the Spock part. The ‘live long and prosper’ part still stands.)
I just thought it was odd how they focus only on N. America. I can see these tragedies happening throughout the developed world, where these new detergent pods are now being sold. They should’ve just dropped the N. America reference. It added nothing to the narrative.
Apparently, there have been around 6,000 instances of children getting hold of these things and trying to eat them. Part of the reason they have become more common is detergent manufactures trying to reduce packaging waste. (For the environment, of course.)
You may want to review the literature on phosphate poisoning before you make any more of an ass out of yourself.
i didn’t say it was the shelter’s fault... i am just saying i am surprised that there was no government entity that forged its way in as the government often does... i don’t think this was really anybody’s fault... this was a tragic accident... in my opinion... i understand it is very different from yours... and i respect yours...
They are made to dissolve when wetted, for example, in a baby's mouth.
It was a tragic accident. I agree. It is the Leftists that must spin it. We must not continue to follow their lead.
I tried to eat one the other day, and that thing would get stuck in MY throat. that would barely fit in a baby’s mouth, IMO...
Leftists will defend this as Birth Control.
Geez, you two are few of the lucid people on this thread! I don’t have kids (yet), but I’d be incredibly sensitive (if not OVER SENSITIVE) to anything that might look like edibles to kids, cats, or dogs. These damn things are one of the very few toxic products out there, that I’ve seen, that DO look like candy. “O-N-M” and “Danny” - your kids are lucky to have you as parents (unlike some of the dolts posting here).
-— This may be the first case in North America of a death linked to the pods.
So other deaths linked to pods have already taken place elsewhere? -—
The question is, how does the number of pod-related poisonings compare to poisonings by other brands?
If it is much higher, I would expect Tide to redesign the product. Failing that, this would be a product liability case. There’s no need for the bureaucracy to step in, but they will, in order to justify their existence.
When I was a baby, I ate some floor wax...
Regardless, how difficult would it be to coat these things with a safe but literally distasteful agent like pepper spray what won’t come off on your hands, but is repulsive when you lick them? I’m certain someone has thought of this before.
You watch, I would sure take that case if I was in Florida. Why, when there have been numerous warnings of danger to kids, would a place that serves moms and kids use it? Who was the genius behind that decision?
They come in a range of sizes, and it wouldn’t be necessary to swallow it whole. Babies often mouth and chew on objects that may not fit all the way into the mouth. Once the outer skin is broken, the liquid could easily be ingested.
North America extends much further south. Do a search. Most of Central America will be included in "North America". They include all or almost all of Central America, all the way to the equator.
Geological North America, si. Cultural North America, no.
All someone has to do is come up with a water soluble and non-staining image of Mr Yuk and put it on the pods. It would flange right up with other poisoning interdiction campaigns and it would be easier to teach the kids to leave it alone.
Failing that, make the outer surface taste undeniably bad.
That's a great idea.