For a man who claims to be vicar (in place of) Christ, this is abominable.
So Catholics confess their sins to a man who bows to islamics????
posted on 09/01/2013 7:22:13 AM PDT
(Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer, without him life would be much grimmer.....)
shimmer, you are being obtuse
Catholics have priests as confessors who intercede with God for them—it’s a sacrament, which you as a non-Catholic wouldn’t understand (although you should if you really want a relationship with God)
Or you can confess to God on your own
no one gets to confess to the Pope
posted on 09/01/2013 7:43:46 AM PDT
(My heroes have always been cowboys)
I am not big on the pope bowing before any earthly person, but I kind of like the idea of the leader of the world’s Christians showing such respect for a Muslim woman when the Muslim world treats women like trash. Chivalry is a Christian thing.
To: Shimmer1; yldstrk
Shimmer1, it's best to try for a Biblical understanding of this bowing business.
- Genesis 23:7 Then Abraham rose and bowed down before the people of that land (to Hittites, in other words, pagan people of Canaan)
- Genesis 37 Josephs brothers bow down to him with their faces to the ground, not knowing he's a Hebrew and believing him to be an Egyptian pagan
- Moses bows down to his Moabite (pagan!) father-in-law...
- Genesis 33:3-7 Jacob bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother Esau
- Genesis 48:11 Joseph bows to Jacob with his face to the earth.
- 1 Kings 1:15 Bathsheba bows low (face to the ground) and kneels before the aged king David
- 2 Kings 1:13 the captain kneels before the prophet Elijah, and prays begs- him to spare his life and the life of his 50 men
- Maidservants and their children bow down to Esau... Leah and her children bow down .... Joseph and Rachel bow ....... Ruth bows down to Boaz ....... David prostrates before Jonathan ....... David prostrates to Saul ....... Abigail prostrates to David ....... Saul prostrates to Samuel ....... Nathan prostrates to David .... Obadiah bows to the ground before Elijah ....... the prophets in Jericho bow before Elisha ....... the whole assembly bows low and prostrates before David ....... David bows to the Temple ....... David prostrates to Jerusalem .......
OK, pretty obviously the patriarchs, prophets, and kings knew about the commandment not to bow down and worship anything or anybody but God. But here they are bowing, kneeling, and prostrating, even to pagans (Hittite, Egyptian and Moabite) and God is not offended. Why?
Because the commandment clearly forbids bowing and worshipping a creature as the Creator; it does not forbid kneeling or bowing (to king, prophet, father, husband or brother) as a form of honor.
And as you can see, it was a very common, customary, form of honor.
As 21st century Americans, we do not live in a society with a rich culture of courtesy and honor.
That's why we do not evaluate it fairly. It is not abominable. It is the universal gesture of courtly behavior.
posted on 09/01/2013 11:58:25 AM PDT
by Mrs. Don-o
("See something, say something.")
For a man who claims to be vicar (in place of) Christ, this is abominable. So Catholics confess their sins to a man who bows to islamics????
How prescient of you to know he was indeed bowing to their religion. Of course there's absolutely no reason in your mind to believe that maybe he was just showing respect to a lady who is the wife of a head of state..........
You remind me of that guy at the local market whose job is to pick fly shit out of the pepper bins.......
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson