Skip to comments.Gingrich Urges 'No' Vote on Syria
Posted on 09/03/2013 9:59:33 PM PDT by kingattax
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich urged Congress Tuesday to "vote no" on a military strike against Syria and instead begin debate on what he described as even bigger strategic challenges for the United States and the world.
"The most powerful nation in the world does not need a three- or four-week debate about a limited, symbolic, tactical use of power," the Georgia Republican wrote Tuesday in an opinion piece for CNN, as he urged Congress to "vote no on a meaningless public relations use of military force against [Syrian President Bashar Assad].
"What we do need are three debates about very large strategic challenges," he added, referring to Iran's nuclear program, the spread of radical Islamism, and the vulnerabilities in the U.S. military being created by "budgetary drawdowns."
"Each of these challenges is massively bigger and vastly more important to our survival than the symbolic Syrian attack," Gingrich said.
(Excerpt) Read more at newsmax.com ...
To bad the guy had so much political baggage. I could visualize a great USA leadership with Lt.Col.West and Newt in that hierarchy order top down.
I don’t know about three debates...unless it would create a foreign policy.
But that could be what Newt is saying...and what we need.
Things seems pretty willy-nilly right now.
Way to go! Give the chickenhawks hell, Newt!
I thought our spanking of Iraq would teach the world not to use WMDs for all time. These lessons don’t work very well.
Lets just say what’s really going on.
The globalists want to rebuild the caliphate and picked the Sunni’s to run it. The only obstacle is the shai which Obama has been fighting in Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, and Syria is next.
The reason that it seems Obama is arming al Qaeda everywhere is because they are Sunni.
Agree that this is a pointless war to salvage the reputation of a community organizer. However, we don’t need any more debates. We need Reaganesque leadership not debates. Debates with whom? NY Times? Pelosi? Boxer? Feinstein?
Obama has to kill the Syrians to save them.
Obama wants to kill Syrians as punishment for killing Syrians.
If that doesn’t stop the Syrians from killing Syrians, Obama will kill more Syrians as further punishment.
sounds like a great plan actually.
It’s a damned shame that “conservatives” were unable to place country first, and support this man. We would be in a far different boat right now.
That is why the GOP Leadership is willing to give the power to Obama, they want the power for the next GOP President as well.
Obama doesn’t appreciate the Syrianess of the problem.
Too bad people, esp like the ones on FR, couldn’t look past the man’s sins and see how he could and would have lead this nation. It would have been majestic. Maybe when things get bad enough, as if they aren’t already, people will understand. btw, it’s not too late for newt and west.. believe.
Urge? What kind of soft pushing is this? Urge?
A NO vote as soon as they walk in the door is any sane person can do if heor she is not a walking mental case or an enemy of the state.
We have no vested interest in bombing any dirt in a civil war between a bunch of goat humpers that could lead to WW3 just to save face for a two bit looser Muslim lover.
McCain and Graham want a war so bad let them saddle up and fight it themselves.
I am telling you FRiends, the enemies are inside the wire and we need to point our weapons inward. Too many of these people in DC are leading our young people to ruins.
Texas....time to bail from this “non-perfect union”.
Just how many people—especially American troops—have to die to satisfy 0bama? How many of them are White?
What about 0bamascare?
“Its a damned shame that conservatives were unable to place country first, and support this man. We would be in a far different boat right now.”
Yeah - we’d be on that couch with Pelosi.
“Just how many peopleespecially American troops”
Not just troops my friend, Odinga enjoys to see White Americans suffer and die.
You do not ever see him condeming black on white violence only the other way around. So what does a white person come to think of this behavior? He hates white people and would rather see us dead.
Let’s get something clear. Obama is a coward who does everything politically. So? He gets his tit in a ringer by making stupid statements about a red line.
THe president needs no approval for military actions, the smart thing would have been to sell the idea to Congress month’s ago, then you as a president have that card.
But he can attack Syria anytime he chooses. He decided not to. Why? Another trap for the republican. If they vote against military force he can say the GOP is the same old same old obstructionists etc. and it might get him off the hook, as he’s a coward.
Give the SOB what he wants. Then let’s see what he’ll do. NOthing.
We are in dangerous dangerous waters here. I’m China I’m thinking, good time to start a fight with Taiwan. I’m Iran....full speed ahead with nuclears. I’m any too bit nation. Now’s the time to hit us.
Newt is right. Obama is dropping down our defense and trying to get us deeper emeshed with the people who are our enemies.
Its a damned shame that conservatives were unable to place country first, and support Santorum.
I agree 100 percent with this statement!
That was Gingrich when he had fallen for the global warming thing. Newt once thought it was good to play the stud.
Anyhow, all the righteous sounding but pride-sustained pontificating about oh, voting for the lesser evil is still voting for evil, let Mitt Romney get the candidacy, and that focus group driven weather vane didn’t have the backbone to completely flout Barack Obama when he easily had the material to do so. Cheating and on-demand poll packing had part to do with 2012, but also “if it isn’t close they can’t cheat.”
Folks! If you want to vote for utter non-evil then vote for Jesus Christ — in fact it’s a wonderful idea to vote for Him as your Savior, and if He is your Savior then vote for Him to be your effectual Lord. Because He can’t conquer your faculties from sin until He is.
But then, you are in the position of selecting between flawed servants, and remember he who thinks he stands today might stumble tomorrow. Look at trends in a life, not just how good someone’s current snapshot is.
“Good Newt” ping.
~Newt Gingrich, 2012
====== NEWT GINGRICH'S GREAT 2012 CAMPAIGN SPEECHES ======
CPAC 2012 Speech -- Newt Gingrich, U.S. President Elect
CPAC 2012 Speech -- Sarah Palin, U.S. Vice President Elect
Nancy Reagan (1995) : Ronnie turned that Torch over to Newt
NRA Second Amendent Speech -- Newt Gingrich
U.S. Energy Independence in 2012 -- Speech
U.S. Energy Independence in 2012 -- Newt Gingrich
"America's Space Renaissance" in Florida !
Newt Gingrich -- Vision for America in Space Again
Why is Newt Gingrich So Angry ?
Newt Gingrich : South Carolina Victory Speech (2012-01-21)
Newt Gingrich : Christmas Day in 1776 George Washington's "Victory or Death"
Newt Stoutly Defends the Second Amendment (Right to Bear Arms)
Newt Gingrich Constitutional Removal of Radial-Liberal Federal Judges
Newt Slams an "Increasingly Radical" EPA
Newt Defends Israel and Shows how the Palestinians are an "Invented" people !
Newt Warns against the Proposed 9-11 NYC Islamic Mosque and Islamic Sharia Law
Gingrich Compares Radical-Isalmics Muslims To Nazis
Newt Gingrich On The Threat Of Radical Islam
Newt Gingrich Americas Defense of Judea-Christian Ideals and Defense against Islamic Fascism
Gingrich: Aggressive Prosecution of Radical-Militant U.S. Muslim Groups
Newt Gingrich: Response to CNNs John King Divorce Question
Newt Gingrich to Juan Williams: Americans Want Paychecks, Not Food Stamps
Gingrich BLASTS Chris Wallace for his "Gotcha" Questions at Iowa Debate
Newt Destroys Ron Paul's Foreign Policy Vis-à-Vis Killing Osama bin Laden
Gingrich: My Credential Is 4.2% Unemployment
Newt Slams Obama's Stupidity on the Keystone Pipeline
Gingrich attacks Federal Reserve (Bernanke and Geitner) Deception and Corruption
Newt Discusses Job Creation and Dismantling Federal (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac)
Newt: No American President Should Bow to a Saudi King
Newt Gingrich: Super PAC Committee Is Washington's Dumbest Idea
====== NEWT GINGRICH'S GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ======
Newt Gingrich understands ... what many of us know to be true ...
America is dangerously close to becoming a Marxist Godless Socialist Second-World nation ...
While in congress, Newt
* Founded the Conservative Opportune Society which met weekly to discuss ideas many of which were adopted by Reagan during his second term supporting the groups conservative goals on economic growth, education, crime, and social issues.
* Co founded the Congressional Military Reform Caucus and the Congressional Aviation and Space Caucus
* Led charges against the Democrat Speaker of the House Jim Wright
* Became House Minority Whip in 1989
* In 1990, he came up with a paper titled Language, a Key Mechanism of Control, that encouraged Republicans to speak like Newt and contained lists of contrasting words words with negative connotations such as radical, sick, and traitors and optimistic positive governing words such as opportunity, courage, and principled, that Gingrich recommended for use in describing Democrats and Republicans, respectively Now we know why he is so good with words during the debates.
* Gingrich and several other Republicans, in an effort to offer an alternative to Democratic policies and to unite distant wings of the Republican Party came up with a Contract with America which laid out ten policies that Republicans promised to bring to a vote on the House floor during the first hundred days of the new Congress if they won the elections. The contract was signed by Gingrich and other Republican candidates for the House of Representatives. The contract ranged from issues such as welfare reform, term limits, tougher crime laws, and a balanced budget law, to more specialized legislation such as restrictions on American military participation in UN missions. In the November 1994 elections, Republicans gained 54 seats and took control of the House for the first time since 1954.
* Congress fulfilled Gingrichs Contract promise to bring all ten of the Contracts issues to a vote within the first 100 days of the session
* Legislation proposed by the 104th US Congress included term limits for Congressional Representatives, tax cuts, welfare reform, and a balanced budget amendment, as well as independent auditing of the finances of the House of Representatives and elimination of non-essential services such as the House barbershop and shoe-shine concessions.
* Newt led the Republican majority to an re-election in 1996, the first time Republicans had done so in 68 years, and the first time simultaneously with a Democratic president winning re-election.
* In 1996, Newt pushed for the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which was intended to reconstruct the welfare system. The act gave state governments more autonomy over welfare delivery, while also reducing the federal governments responsibilities. It instituted the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, which placed time limits on welfare assistance and replaced the longstanding Aid to Families with Dependent Children program. Other changes to the welfare system included stricter conditions for food stamp eligibility, reductions in immigrant welfare assistance, and recipient work requirements. The said act was signed into law on Aug 22, 1996.
* Pushed Clinton for a Federal Balanced Budget- The plan included a total of $152 billion in Republican sponsored tax cuts over five years. Other major parts of the spending plan called for $115 billion to be saved through a restructuring of Medicare, $24 billion set aside to extend health insurance to children of the working poor, tax credits for college tuition, and a $2 billion welfare-to-work jobs initiative. Plan was to have a balanced budget by 2002 but was achieved in 1999, three years ahead of schedule.
* Through the Contract with America, Gingrich was credited with the largest Capital Gains Tax Cut in US History with the 1997 US Tax Relief Act
Every now and again Newt breaks with the Globalists. Good on him, this time.
- Wouldn’t it be ironic if a radical Muslim Brotherhood terrorist ends up being the instrument of the weak and stinky Homo Electus’s demise?
- Say - Isn’t the Director of the CIA a convert to Islam......
Well, God is letting such dangers loom to remind us that it is good to flee back to Him and His audacious promises to preserve in the face of the most daunting evil. Will it actually take a nuke zipping this way to effect the awakening to this... I don't know. I now vigorously stump for gospel power, to try to do my little part with my flame of faith. Gospel has been sold so short even during America's best days of faith, and that sad fact tells every time a thing, or even a man, is blamed for what hell ought to be identified as the ultimate culprit for.
Amen! You GET it!
———as even bigger strategic challenges for the United States-——
Newt is as usual, the big thinker. He sees out many years rather than just say 90 days.
There is only one objective in Syria. Kill Bashier Assad and his close minions. Assad is the enemy because he is the surrogate of Iran. The strategic goal for killing Assad is further isolation of Iran and the withering on the vine of Hezbollah.
Obama pretending to be a warrior is the most dangerous and ridiculous concept imaginable. It is doubtful that even God can predict what he will order or not order. Obama can not be trusted with approval for action in Syria or any where else.
The vote in the House should be a resolution demanding Obama resign
Americans are controlled by their TV’s, and the liberal media focuses on the most conservative candidates for early elimination. Once the media has the most liberal “pub” chosen in the primaries, they turn on them in the general, since they are no longer the most liberal.
Throw out your TV and don’t subscribe to newspapers. Starve the media.
too bad we had Romney as the candidate instead of Newt. I don’t think Newt would have let off the gas pedal after that first debate like Romney did.
Obama has lost Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, etc....and now even Jordan is teetering!!! Congress Critters vote no to deny Obama attacking Syria!!! The whole world is laughing at the USA and Obama as bumbling idiots!!! Newt & Sarah are right on target!!! Pubbies get rid of Boehner, McConnell, McCarthy, McCain, Graham, all RINOs that support the democrat Party and kiss Obama’s tushy!!!!
- Vote in the Drudge Report Poll to deny Obama approval to attack Syria!!!
- Sign & Endorse the Lee/Cruz defund Obamacare petition...NOW!!!
www.dontfundobamacare.com or, www.dontfundit.,com
What woud you know about conservatism, other than pro life. You're, like Santorum, are a pro life liberal......pro union, pro big government, pro Arlen Specter, pro enviro whacko.....but pro life, so that makes it all better?????? Methinks not.
I wanted Newt too, and there is a chance he would have put the pedal to the metal and kept it there. But, Newt has some awful advisors, and a bad habit of sometimes listening to them. It's why he imploded late in Iowa, and in Florida after SC....he totally changed what pushed him to the top in Iowa early, then in SC late. Like the ad says, "its not complicated" - but too complicated for most of our consultants and many of our candidates...sadly.
Santorum could have been okay, but with him I had even more reservations.
I hate to admit this, but in 20/20 hindsight, I think either of them would have been beaten far worse than Romney was. I think they would have been beaten Goldwater bad, not just 2 percentage points. Our field was weak, the IRS, the voter fraud, the MSM traitorous malfeasance could not have been risen above by any of them.
Interesting theory, and I disagree to a degree: Newt had the best chance to win, and the best chance to implode and get blown out. He ran both the best, and the worst, campaign in the primaries.
Santorum was a total non starter, and really only pulled a meaningless "huckabee second place" by hanging around and taking advantage of the "bad Newt" and his stupid strategy. I think he could be a decent Prez, but would have been an awful general elect candiate for sure.
Mitt prolly sneaks through and wins if A: Christie had not given Obama press with Sandy, reminding voters of Katrina and B: had kept his pedal on the metal after debate one. Then again, if Rove and Bush had not let all Republicans and coservatives take the hit for democrat and bureaucrat corruption in Katrina, none of this would have mattered......someone should write a book (oh, wait...)
I say this reluctantly as a former and often current supporter.
My least fave was Mitt, but as you say, without Christie's idiocy, Candy Crowley's traitorous collusion, and in my opinion the traitorous foolishness of two per cent "conservative purist fools" who stayed home we would be rid of this Marxist stain.
I hope we can learn a lesson from all this.
As I said in the book....”Newt might have struck out swinging...but Mitt was out on called strikes.”
At least we’d have had a damned discussion.....not this pablum we always get.
Newt's idea of a series of debates was great, no way it would have actually happened. The only thing Bambi's crowd is good at is suppressing discussion, taking out and punishing their opponents, using their power to do so in the most nefarious of ways.
pro Arlen Specter
Actually I am not pro-Arlen Specter. That is the truth!
I could get past the baggage, but Newt is a tad loopy at times.
you really cannot follow the flow of a conversation......to understand a point, can you?