Headlines from Stockholm press conference:
President Obama says the international community cannot be silent in face of “barbarism” of Syrian chemical attack, effective response is needed. Obama says failure to respond to Syrian chemical attack would increase risk of further attacks.
- Credibility of U.S., Congress and intelligence community is on the line — not his credibility personally — in need to uphold chemical weapons ban and respond to Syria attack.
- “I didn’t set a red line, the world set a red line” against the use of chemical weapons
- Has no intention of repeating intelligence mistakes of Iraq war in response to Syria, that evidence is clear that Syrian government used chemical weapons.
- Believe Congress will approved military action against Syria but that as U.S. commander in chief he reserves the right to act in nation’s security interest
- Was not required to submit proposed military action to Congress for approval, but also that he [Obama] is not doing so as an empty exercise
- “Always hopeful” that Russia’s Putin will change his position on supporting Syria’s Assad and will continue to engage with Russia on the issue
- Obama has made appeals directly to Putin on Syria but so far Putin has resisted efforts to achieve U.N. Security Council action
“- Obama has made appeals directly to Putin on Syria but so far Putin has resisted efforts to achieve U.N. Security Council action”
What appeals have been made directly to Putin? What is Obama talking about here?
I love the image of Obama “appealing” to Putin. I suspect Putin likes it as well.
Credibility of U.S., Congress and intelligence community is on the line not his credibility personally
Idiots in congress are letting him cast them as scapegoats.
If his administration knew so much, as Kerry claims, then why didn’t we act sooner to prevent the use of chemical weapons?