Skip to comments.George Zimmerman Divorce: Why Did Wife File For Separation Now?
Posted on 09/05/2013 9:28:20 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
Not long after a Florida jury acquitted George Zimmerman in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, his wife Shellie has filed for divorce. Attorneys said Thursday that she has not filed the paperwork yet, but will be in the coming days. She told ABC News in an interview a few days prior the divorce was on the table for she and her husband. The 26-year-old pleaded guilty to perjury last month when she lied about their family income when she was bailing her husband, 29, out of jail the night of the shooting. She appeared in court without him, and told reporter Christi O'Connor that she felt "very much alone" in the courtroom. She said she would have to think of it when asked if she would consider staying married to George.
"I think we have been pretty much like gypsies...We've lived in a 20-foot trailer in the woods, scared every night that someone was going to find us and that we'd be out in the woods alone and that it would be horrific," Shellie said of the couple's life during and after the case. She and her husband were reportedly the victim of many death threats, which caused them to go into hiding and living with security guards for their protection. She said she believed her husband's story and was hurt by the allegations that he was a murderer and a racist. The couple was allegedly experiencing marital problems before the trial. Shellie must serve 100 hours of community service and one year of probation for perjury. Her husband was also in the news this week when he was pulled over for speeding for the second time since the trial ended nearly two months ago.
George Zimmerman was accused of second-degree murder when he shot Martin in a gated community, where Zimmerman served as a neighborhood watchman. He accosted Martin for behaving suspiciously. Zimmerman told prosecutors that Martin retaliated by hitting him in the face and slamming his head into the concrete, at which time he pulled out a gun and shot the teenager in self defense. The ruling caused a nation outcry. Zimmerman has been in the news multiple times since the verdict, once for allegedly helping a family out of an overturned vehicle, and twice for speeding. There was a firearm in his car the first time he was pulled over.
They should move to Peru. Start over again.
Still spinning -- pathetic.
This isn't true is it? It was my understanding that Martin assaulted Zimmerman, not the other way around.
Any physical contact by Zimmerman on Martin would be assault.
Am I missing something here? I know some folks followed this a lot closer than I did. Am I wrong here?
The problem has been the focus on irrelevant arguments some of which are actually unsupported by the evidence.
1. George Zimmerman (GZ) racially profiled Trayvon Martin (TM) There is no evidence of this.
2. GZ disobeyed an order by the police * The civilian dispatcher, Sean Noffke, testified that he did not give GZ an order and, in fact, he, like his fellow dispatchers, are trained not make comments that sound like commands. * Noffke also testified under cross that, as a result of his asking GZ which way TM was going, GZ could have reasonably interpreted this as being asked to follow Martin. * It is also not a crime in Florida to disregard a comment made by a civilian dispatcher.
3. GZ got out of his car Not a crime on public property and not negligent either.
4. GZ followed TM Again, anyone can follow anyone on a public street unless the followee has obtained a restraining order against the follower and even there, the RS only places time, place, and manner restrictions on the person enjoined.
5. GZ wasnt really injured * Under Floridas self-defense laws, one doesnt have to be injured AT ALL to use deadly force * No one is required to refrain from defending himself while another is engaged in or attempting to commit a felony.
6. TM is dead through no fault of his own * If you believe that TM assaulted GZ, then he IS dead as a result of his own actions.
7. GZ could have left * Under Florida law, there is not a duty to withdraw rather than use deadly force * TM was straddling GZ so how the latter was supposed to leave the scene is unanswered.
8. GZ was armed and TM wasnt * Ones fists can be considered weapons and can result in severe bodily harm or death. * GZ was legally carrying a weapon * There is no requirement under the law that the same weapon be used by the assailant * A homeowner can kill an intruder whether or not he has been threatened * Those that attack cannot feign surprise if they are met with superior firepower.
9. Stand Your Ground! * SYG is NOT at issue in this trial. * The defense is a classic self-defense case.
10. Black men NEVER get to use SYG! * Wrong http://tinyurl.com/nboht35
11. GZ is a man and TM was a boy! * As if boys dont commit murder, rape, and assault everyday in this country.
because she didn’t want to be married any mor?
I appreciate the response, and there are a lot of details in there.
Unless I missed it, there is no direct addressing of Zimmerman assaulting Martin.
Zimmerman did not walk up to Martin and physically try to restrain him or assault him.
Isn’t that true?
As far as what came out in the trial, it seems that that never happened. I’m sure you’d get a different response from Sybrina Fulton, Al Sharpton, Benjamin Crump or 99% of the media and academia.
>>Zimmerman did not walk up to Martin and physically try to restrain him or assault him.
Isnt that true?<<
Of course it’s true, but the press has bought in to the Big Lie.
My assumption - she’s a decent woman who did not want to bail on her husband during his time of crisis even though the marriage was already in trouble - she knew how the media would spin such a thing.
Now, she and he, are entitled to live their lives in privacy and she is more than entitled to do what she needs to do for herself.
The Latin Times? WTH?
Printed in The Vatican?
Why is this something I need to know about? How will this information add to my personal database for decision-making? Why is this news? This is none of our business.
If I were under threat of a civil suit, I might very well get a divorce and lose all my assets to my wife.
Hell, I’ve been married 27 glorious years and have thought about divorcing and losing all my assets to my wife, whom I would still live with until the day I die, so I can put an Obama sticker on my bumper, make $60K a year to fish, get free healthacre and talk on my free Obama phone.
Of course, she may kick my butt out.. Hmmm.
I’ve done my best to try to avoid this post trial marital squabble story but then to my surprise her lawyer announces the divorce papers to ABC and then she appears this morning again on ABC, the network that caused them to live in a 20 foot trailer.
I’m losing my patience with Shellie.
"Hey honey! I have a great idea. Let's move to a third world South American cesspool and start over. That's sure to save our marriage."
Yeah. That'll work.
If that statement isn't true then did Zimmerman follow Martin for no reason at all?
My folks have been married for almost 45 years and my dad is fond of saying that in all that time divorce has never once crossed his mind. Homicide, yes. But never divorce.
Perversely sensible due to stupid liability laws. I know a couple who won’t marry because he’s starting a business; she owns all their personal assets, he has nothing to lose if the business fails.
Given their financial and legal situation, a divorce is a smart decision, as long as he gets visitation rights for his dog.
Zimmerman got out of his car to find an exact address to give to the police dispatcher.
She’s still young. Allow her to make her own mistakes in life the same way we did.
Oh, let me think... Because the media and race pimps have made the Zimmermans’ lives a living hell?
I don't know why, but I suspect you people in the media are a big reason because you like to ruin people's lives.
Why Did Wife File For Separation Now?
She will write a book and set him up for money.
So she can cash in at his expense at the Great American Divorce Lottery! Yay, for women's lib!
Hey men! Ready to play the "fun" game of the American marriage-divorce cycle?