Skip to comments.The Lies at the Heart of the Obama/Kerry Push for War—and Why They've Backfired
Posted on 09/07/2013 5:15:34 AM PDT by Hojczyk
1) Yesterday I unpacked the claims of precisely 1,429 killed in the chemical attack, noting that all other sources put it much lowerin some cases at only one-fourth that number. I wont repeat what I wrote but note that the White House still has given no source for this. At the presser today, Obama mentioned 1,400 gassednot killed. I presume just a slip but wish a reporter had followed up.
2) Kerry and backers in Congressnotably Senator John McCainhave claimed for the past week that the rebels in Syria are actually, in the main, moderate (not jihadists) and their ranks are growing daily. Yesterday The New York Times carried a front-piece disputing this along with a photo of an execution in progress carried out by those moderate rebels.
3) Obama and Kerry have both declared over and over that his would be a very limited strike. Multiple reports at top news outlets now reveal that the target list is actually expanding and jets as well as missiles will be used. Obama call this inaccurate at the presser today but he has been under pressure from hawks to step up the destruction to aid the rebels in the fight.
Also at the presser, Obama denied reports that skeptical Congress members are coming out of intel briefings more, not less, skeptical about an attack. Reporters immediately disputed this.
4) Finally (for now) theres this: Obama, Kerry and their supporters in Congress and on TV have argued that Assad has killed 100,000 (maybe more) of his own people. This is rarely corrected by the media or in interviews. The truth is bad enough, surely, but its not 100,000. But that figure, so many others others, is being used as spin to induce people to back the war against Syria.
(Excerpt) Read more at thenation.com ...
Lokks like OBAMA is in trouble????
We are the ones that are in trouble.
The whole situation in Syria is a diversion to what is transpiring in Iran. Our national intelligence apparatus has seriously been cut back to the point that the IC is now relying on You Tube videos to conduct assessments.
Iraq is failing - Egypt & Libya have failed - Lebanon is being controlled by Iran - and Jordan is next on the list...they are preparing for the main push - that is, attacking and attempting to destroy Israel.
Saudi Arabia is funding anyone and everyone to make sure its interests are protected - but nothing more. While smaller Arab nations like Kuwait and Qatar host US bases thinking that it’s going to save them down the road from being taken over.
The situation is not as complex as one would think - but when a nation has an administration like the US has presently - counts on tweets and public videos to do security assessments - and the US news continues to show everything from cooking and fashion while ignoring the important issues - then someone is going to get properly screwed!
Katrina vanden Heuvel’s head exploded and this got published?
Mission creep: is the expansion of a project or mission beyond its original goals, often after initial successes. Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to the dangerous path of each success breeding more ambitious attempts, only stopping when a final, often catastrophic, failure occurs. The term was originally applied exclusively to military operations,
No kidding. The same types who say the US killed 600,000 Iraqis are now scoffing at Syrian casualties. Go figure.
I feel dirty that I agree with the filthy liberal NATION. The left and the right need to stop this war. Not our fight.
The poor Contras in Nicaragua, if only they were affiliated with the muslim brotherhood and Al Quida the democrats would have supported them.
You would think that after the years that mac daddy has squatted in the peoples house these elected officials would know by now that mac daddy lies and will throw them under the bus in a heart beat.
First it’s Mother Jones. Today it’s The Nation. When have such lefty rags been touted on FR? Obama actually did it. He’s united the country. Knowing him I’m certain he will say that was his goal in this mess all along.
Chinese and Russians are moving men and equipment into the area... This strike might be 'very limited' in Obama's mind - but he only speaks for himself. Syrians, Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Saudis might see it differently.
Though I have no expectation that they are actually any more lovable than before, I won't say they are wrong when I believe them to be right; maybe I'd have done so back in the days when I still believed that the Republican party would purge itself of the types of people who now seem to be running it, but not anymore.
Since the 100,000 number includes those killed by the rebels, every time a jihadist rebel lops off the head of a Christian it counts against Assad's total.
Just for argument’s sake, say Assad did kill 100,000 over the past year or two.
Then 2 questions arise -
(1) Obama’s argument for attacking Syria is that 1400 were gassed. So let’s get this straight - it’s OK to kill 100,000 by convential weapons, but as soon as a fraction of that number is gassed it’s grounds for US war? Meassage to every world dictator - just stick to bombs, guns, machetes, etc. to kill your people, and Obama will do nothing
(2) And just where the hell were Obama, Hillary, Kerry, etc. when those 100,000 were being killed? Where was the outrage then? I seem to remember doing a lot of golfing, partying, and vacationing in that time! Obama had more outrage for the NRA and Republicans than for Syria!!