Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

China to build US$5bn industrial city in Minsk (Belarus city has space 40% larger than Manhattan)
Want China Times ^ | 06/03/2013

Posted on 09/09/2013 9:54:32 AM PDT by SeekAndFind

China will invest US$5 billion in building an industrial city on the outskirts of Minsk, capital of Belarus, according to a recent report from Bloomberg.

Since establishing diplomatic tiesd with Belarus in 1992, China has been developing an increasingly close economic relationship with the country, as evidenced by the signing of the US$3 billion currency swap agreement between the two nations in 2009.

According to Chinese and Belarusian officials, Alexander G. Lukashenko, president of Belarus, has earmarked a plot of land near Minsk International Airport, with a space 40% larger than Manhattan, for the industrial city project, which will accommodate 155,000 residents. "The project will enable Chinese goods to enter duty-free into the markets of Russia and Kazakhstan, thanks to the tariff alliance among Belarus and the two nations," says a Chinese official.

China Development Bank and the Export-Import Bank of China have reportedly agreed to finance the project. Following the approval of the project, Gong Jianwei, Chinese ambassador to Belarus, remarked that "This is a unique project, as the projected industrial park will be unrivaled in scale in Europe."

The Belarusian government has pledged to develop the industrial park into a springboard for international commerce. Apparently, Chinese enterprises will set up factories in the park.

The Belarus official overseeing the project said that China has agreed to provide low-interest loans for the project, on the condition that half of the funds must be used to procure Chinese raw materials, technology or labor. The China National Machinery Industry Corp will own a 60% stake in the project, with the remaining 40% belonging to the Belarusian government.

(Excerpt) Read more at ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Culture/Society; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: belarus; china; minsk

1 posted on 09/09/2013 9:54:33 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SeekAndFind

See also here:

China’s aid in building fast railway to connect Minsk city, Minsk airport possible

2 posted on 09/09/2013 9:56:01 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SeekAndFind

3 posted on 09/09/2013 9:56:46 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SeekAndFind

4 posted on 09/09/2013 9:58:44 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: SeekAndFind; Larry Lucido; F15Eagle

All together now!

"Well you made a long journey from Milan to Minsk. Rochelle Rochelle.
You never stopped hoping. now you're in the pink Rochelle Rochelle
When the nay sayers nay you pick up your pace
So nothing's going to stop me so get out of my face.
I'm having adventures all over the place.
Rochelle ROCHELLE!"

5 posted on 09/09/2013 11:11:56 AM PDT by Gamecock (Many Atheists take the stand: "There is no God AND I hate Him.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson