Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Remembering Colorado High School athlete Reid Gates (dies from carbon monoxide exposure)
nbc11news.com ^ | 9/12/13 | Krystle Sonmore

Posted on 09/13/2013 3:19:57 PM PDT by GSWarrior

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) Three Cedaredge High School athletes were sickened by carbon monoxide exposure on Sunday. Senior Reid Gates passed away Monday while his friends Aaron Henrie and Tyler Cooper remained hospitalized.

On Wednesday their teammates and coaches spoke out about the tragedy. For the Bruins football team, their home opener is Friday, and they're trying their hardest to work through all the emotions and find a way to move forward without one of their star players.

"This has affected so many people that it's just a very difficult time," said head football coach Brandon Milholland.

As a four-year starter and captain on the football team, a two-sport state champion, and a 4.0 student, Reid Gates was no ordinary young man.

In a high school of just 250 people, everyone knew his name. On the field, he was part of a tight-knit group - the Bruins - the reigning 1A state champions.

"When we're out there we're going to try to really focus on football," said Coach Milholland. "I know it's in the back of our minds, I know it is."

"It doesn't get any harder than this. Football is one thing, but that's just a game."

Through it all, the Bruins remain united, playing for the love of the game, and playing to honor everyone affected by the unexpected.

Cedaredge will kick off their home opener this Friday night at 7:00 PM against Dolores. They will have a moment of silence to honor the three boys affected.

(Excerpt) Read more at nbc11news.com ...


TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous; News/Current Events; US: Colorado
KEYWORDS: colorado; death; football; highschool
Three High School students who were accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide had been watching movies aided by an on-board generator inside a fifth-wheel trailer in an enclosed area.
1 posted on 09/13/2013 3:19:57 PM PDT by GSWarrior
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior

Both of my older Sisters came very close to dying from carbon monoxide poisoning back in the 30s.

They were asleep in the back seat. Mother was talking to one of our cousins and he noticed they did not seem right. When Mother tried to wake them they were lethargic.

Fortunately there were no lasting problems. I think it is more common than most think.


2 posted on 09/13/2013 3:27:37 PM PDT by yarddog (Romans 8: verses 38 and 39. "For I am persuaded".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior

I predict a SWARM of PI Tort Lawyers AND, quite frankly, the lack of a cheap battery powered CO detector where a generator is running is an epic fail in terms of foreseeable problems.


3 posted on 09/13/2013 3:36:08 PM PDT by SES1066 (To expect courteous government is insanity!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior

Guess they failed science class.


4 posted on 09/13/2013 4:09:25 PM PDT by Newbomb Turk ("All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior

Concentrations as low as 667 ppm may cause up to 50% of the body’s hemoglobin to convert to carboxyhemoglobin. A level of 50% carboxyhemoglobin may result in seizure, coma, and fatality. Within short time scales, carbon monoxide absorption is cumulative, since the half-life is about 5 h in fresh air.


5 posted on 09/13/2013 4:53:10 PM PDT by yefragetuwrabrumuy (The best War on Terror News is at rantburg.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson