Skip to comments.Ten states where Obamacare wipes out existing health care plans
Posted on 09/28/2013 6:42:29 PM PDT by markomalley
President Barack Obama famously promised, If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. He later got even more specific.
If you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, or Medicare, or Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have, Obama said.
But as Obamacares rollout approaches, we have learned this is not true. Here are the ten states where consumers may like their health care plans, but they wont be able to keep them.
1) California: 58,000 will lose their plans under Obamacare. The first bomb dropped in California with a mass exodus from the most populated states Obamacare exchange. Aetna, the countrys largest insurer, left first in July and was closely followed by UnitedHealth. Anthem Blue Cross pulled out of Californias Obamacare exchange for small businesses as well.
Fifty-four percent of Californians expect to lose their coverage, according to an August poll.
2) Missouri: Patients of the states largest hospital system which spans 13 hospitals including the St. Louis Childrens Hospital will not be covered by the largest insurer on Obamacare exchanges, Anthem BlueCross BlueShield. Anthem covers 79,000 patients in Missouri who may seek subsidies on Obamacare exchanges, but wont be able to see any doctors in the BJC HealthCare system.
3) Connecticut: Aetna, the third largest insurer in the nation, wont offer insurance on the Obamacare exchange in its own home state, where it was founded in 1850. The reason? We believe the modification to the rates filed by Aetna will not allow us to collect enough premiums to cover the cost of the plans and meet the service expectations of our customers, said Aetna spokesman Susan Millerick.
4) Maryland: 13,000 individuals covered by Aetna and its recently-purchased Coventry Health Care wont be able to keep their insurance plans if they want Obamacare subsidies on the exchanges. Aetna and Coventry canceled plans to offer insurance in the exchange when state officials wouldnt allow them to charge premiums high enough to cover costs.
5) South Carolina: 28,000 people were insured by Medical Mutual of Ohio, SCs second-largest insurance company, until it decided to leave the state entirely in July due to Obamacares vast and quite complex new regulations. Company spokesman Ed Byers said Medical Mutuals patients would be switched over to United Healthcare plans instead.
6) New York: Aetna pulled out of New Yorks exchange in late August in an effort to keep their plans financially viable, said Aetna spokeswoman Cynthia Michener.
7) New Jersey: 1.1 million Aetna customers are at risk in New Jersey, where the leading insurer also wont be a part of the exchange. Just 2,600 patients purchase individual plans with the company, but any looking to take advantage of subsidies on the exchange for unaffordable employer-based insurance wont be able to do with Aetna.
8) Iowa: Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Iowas largest health insurer, decided not to offer plans in the Obamacare exchange. It sells 86 percent of Iowas individual health insurance plans.
9) Wisconsin: Two of the three largest insurers in the state wont offer plans on the exchange. United Healthcare and Humana patients will have to get a new health insurer to buy insurance on Obamacare exchanges.
10) Georgia: Just five insurers are participating in Georgias Obamacare exchange. Medical Mutual of Ohio left Georgia and Indiana as well as South Carolina, due to Obamacare regulations. Aetna, along with Coventry, also decided against participating in the George health exchange.
let the pain and suffering begin.
I would very much like to return to the plan I had in 2010, but because of Obamacare, such a plan is now illegal in my state, even though no interstate commerce exists.
Fast forward to 2013. Here in Georgia, the governor has made it pretty much impossible for these exchanges to operate, yet I expect them to operate anyway in violation of state law, at least for next year. The following year, I do not expect a single insurer to continue its participation.
Oh, and did I mention my taxes will go up $625 next year? It’s part of the Special Needs Kids tax that is included with Obamacare. That’s $625 that I would be spending on my son, but have to turn over to government instead, all so I can have worse coverage than I had back in 2010.
Healthcare intafada !!!
Those greedy insurance companies are backing out because they won’t make as much money. Same goes for the doctors leaving medical practice.
What we need is for the government to run the health care system and get rid of the money-grubbing insurance companies and doctors that don’t want to serve the less fortunate.
“That’s the plan baby!”
Never fear, when it all falls apart, the left will implement free healthcare for all, you know, like Britain has. You and I and many other people won’t have to worry about paying taxes, premiums, or anything else, because by the time the new efficient free healthcare system gets through with us, we’ll all be dead anyway.
This whole thing confuses me more and more. My BCBS went up to about 330.00 now and my brother-in-law says to go on the Blue Cross exchange and save 1/2 the cost and that virtually nothing will change.
I received the following email from a friend this week.
Many companies have their enrollment period for health care in October, so it ought to be interesting as this crap hits the fan across the country. If this is supposed to be better, why is my lesser coverage costing more? Never mind, I know why. Obamacare a solution looking for, and creating, a problem.
Shut It Down!!! OK by us...
Aren’t they the same company?
Wisconsin residents face loss of insurance coverage as Obamacare begins. United Healthcare and Humana will not be available on the exchanges.
FReep Mail me if you want on, or off, this Wisconsin interest ping list.
I live in Wisconsin and I have a United Healthcare medicap plan through AARP. We’ve received notice that it will be available next year, but deductibles and co-pays will be higher and there will be no out of network coverage. In fact, there will no longer be coverage at all in certain counties. It sounds like there are places in Wisconsin where I don’t dare get in an auto accident because I won’t have insurance there.
What’s this special needs kid thing ?
Yes, both are Blue Cross, but my existing PPO has increased and the exchange is cheaper.
No Humana? Gotta tell the in-laws and my Dad. Both have supplemental prescription insurance under those plans.
This is getting interesting... *SPIT*
Exactly, unless the new Republican plan to delay this debacle another year.. By the time this will be hitting the most folks they will have had one more year to devise a plan to extort and/or intimidate, those insurances companies into participation..
I hope I'm missing something, but I don't think so.. UGH!
My sister works for an insurance company here in Wisconsin. It is a nightmare for them.
Some people need a cold slap in the face from reality. So bring on the pain and suffering
BINGO.. The sooner the better.. :)
let Obamacare FAIL.
I only paid $1.00 more this year.
I agree. Let reality hit them in the face BEFORE the next election. It’s going to be funny when all the liberals go online and find out it’s not for free.
Do you think they made the exchange rate cheaper so people would go to it as an incentive. I would look into what the rate would be for yourself but I would be leery too because why are they jacking up your PPO plan and not the other since it is the same company. Trust and verify and good luck!
You will always get legitimate emergency coverage through your insurance company for any location in the United States. But by emergency they use a really strict definition which is basically life&death. As soon as you were stabilized they might transport you back to a covered facility. This might or might not cost you a lot of money.
Is it because it’s being subsidized?
I lost my work coverage this month (in Virginia) because of Obamacare, so states my boss, the plan we have had for years suddenly doubled and the company simply cannot afford it anymore. Wait 3 months and get on an individual plan was what I was advised. Thanks for nothing!
I wonder when people will start to get really pissed off? I kind of wish it was the olden days where people actually got mad and then did something about it.
Kind of makes me wonder if there is something in the water making people apathetic.
And I miscalculated earlier. In a 25% bracket, this comes to $833 going towards government, which means that I will have to earn $3333 in order to spend that extra $2500 on my kid.
That is why I am so confused. I just don’t trust this exchange and don’t know enough except for what I read, and it’s frightening.
Yes. Supposedly the plan (silver) is half the price and may be better than my original PPO. I don’t understand all this yet. I’m also afraid of being in the system if I go to an exchange which I swore I would never do. My company offers insurance but it’s not great at all. I love BCBS.
And there may be chance if you leave the one you have now you may not be able to get back on it. I am insured through my husband but I don’t know if they will take his away and if they do we will only be able to pay the penalty and it is not $95.00 like they are touting in the media it is $1,000.00 the first year and then doubles in 2015. This whole thing is a nightmare for everyone well most people anyway.
Good luck to us all.
Obamascare, in the name of rescuing childlishness, its a big village for the children.
In other words bsinesses rightly see he rising costs of supporting free condoms and abortiin. Just like with freddi mac, fhe jpmorgan will be punished for not supporting this horror.
Good bye health care.
Oh it will be “free” for the dependency class, lazy and illegals. I mean the Democrat voting block
I can’t wait for these liberals who wanted this crap can’t find a doctor, have to wait for months and old family members get turned away.
Will serve them right
There will be millions who don’t have insurance yet don’t qualify for subsidies. There will be those who DO qualify for subsidies but can’t afford to pay $100 bucks or so a month.
I think those saying this is only to get government run healthcare in place are right. There’s no way this monster can support itself. It’s a Ponzi scheme. And Ponzi schemes don’t work unless everyone gets in early and new ones are constantly signing up. But even single payer is to destroy the country. We’re almost at the point of running out of other peoples’ money.
Lot’s of the gen-exers and those behind them (not all) are all for this because they think “we” stole their inheritance. For some reason my wife’s 38 year old daughter thinks she deserves an inheritance. And she thinks her siblings shouldn’t even be in the equation and she’s the only lazy one of the bunch. She was talking about someday getting her social security. She got real angry when I told her she wouldn’t get SS because she hasn’t paid in. So her next words were “Since I’m not going to get social security you’re going to have to leave me an inheritance to retire on. She’s one of the millions who really believes she’s going to get free medical care.
I received and email from my accountant who does my taxes. The email contained information on how Obamacare will affect me, the elderly and businesses.
What I got out of it was a family can get a government subsidies up to 400% of poverty level, I qualify but not by much. Don’t know how much of one, but I qualify. Thing is, barley. It may come a time when my wife has to stop working so I can stay in the qualifying curve. So to me thats government paying for people not to be productive....
I agree, this monster has quadrupled from it’s first estimate of 917 Billion over 10 years several trillion. It’s unsustainable and only a complete fool thinks otherwise.
FYI, if you want to see if you fall into the 400%, I did a google search for poverty level. Found a government site that showed the information.
Thank you. I seem to remember talks about that measure in the law we had to pass to see what was in it.
Truth hurts, doesn't it, you Maryland moonbat libs?
Maryland "Freak State" PING!
Check out Cinnamon for Cholesterol. Mayo Clinic study says it works faster and better than statins.
Ping your state lists and ask/ remind people to contact their senators.
Beck is talking about this on the radio today. Once this happens (Today) these people will be forced into the Obamacare exchanges.
1. California: 58,000
2. Missouri - 13 hospitals including the St. Louis Childrens Hospital will not be covered
3. Connecticut: Aetna, the third largest insurer in the nation, wont offer insurance on the Obamacare exchange
4. Maryland: 13,000 individuals
5. South Carolina: 28,000 people
6. New York: Aetna pulled out of New Yorks exchange in late August in an effort to keep their plans financially viable, said Aetna spokeswoman Cynthia Michener.
7. New Jersey: 1.1 million Aetna customers are at risk in New Jersey
8. Iowa: Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Iowas largest health insurer, decided not to offer plans in the Obamacare exchange
9. Wisconsin: Two of the three largest insurers in the state wont offer plans on the exchange.
10. Georgia: Just five insurers are participating in Georgias Obamacare exchange. Medical Mutual of Ohio left