Skip to comments.A Government Shutdown Is Not the Tea Party's Last Stand
Posted on 10/03/2013 4:27:53 AM PDT by kimtom
(Tea party activists attend a rally on the grounds of the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, June 19, 2013.)
The GOP's 14,000 mile "Fire Pelosi" bus tour in 2010 was the Republican National Committee's successful attempt to harness the tea party's angst and energy for their benefit.
During the six-week tour, the red bus rolled through 48 states, firing up the base and mobilizing Republicans to turn out for a midterm election to snatch the speaker's gavel from Nancy Pelosi. The result? Eighty seven freshman Republicans in Congress, a GOP takeover of the House of Representatives, roughly 40 votes to repeal, dismantle or fix Obamacare and now a government shutdown.
The Tea Party's cause was always Obamacare, so could this moment, the precipice of all the rallies and marches and votes, lead to its demise?
"There is a fine line between standing on principle and living to fight another day," says John McHenry, a GOP pollster at North Star Opinion Research.
McHenry and others point to the government shutdown of 1995 and 1996 as evidence that the tea party may be having its last gasp. Back then, Republicans got the blame and Democrats were able to capitalize on the lapse in judgement in the following election.
"You are seeing some skepticism that the reported heads of the tea party have the best interests of the Republican party at heart," McHenry says.
But in 17 years, a lot has changed.
According to the Pew Research Center, the public's trust in Congress.......
(Excerpt) Read more at usnews.com ...
Why? Why not rein in the spending right now? Starting with Obamacare.
Remember the president said “it isn’t more debt”....
Dear Mr. McHenry. Let me remove all doubt.
We do not have the best interests of the GOP-e at heart. Particularly after Boner's leaked e-mails.
Quite Sincerely, 'Pod.
20 Reasons the Tea Party Hates Democrats:
1. Democrats believe in higher education.
2. Democrats believe in preserving the environment.
3. Democrats believe in science.
4. Democrats believe that carbon dioxide is dangerous.
5. Democrats do not believe that minimum wage created our nations unemployment.
6. Democrats do not believe armed rebellion is a viable alternative to elections.
7. Democrats do not believe that corporations are people too.
8. Democrats do not believe that the sexual revolution created AIDS.
9. Democrats do not know the proper height for trees.
10. Democrats do not understand decent God-fearing Americans need missile launchers at home.
11. Democrats do not understand that banning abortions for high risk pregnancies can be a positive experience for women.
12. Democrats do not understand that intelligent design is a proven scientific theory.
13. Democrats do not understand that marriage is related to national security.
14. Democrats do not understand that the media is a threat to national security.
15. Democrats forgot that Hitler coined the phrase separation of church and state.
16. Democrats seem oblivious to the fact that most good Americans oppose gay marriage.
17. Democrats seldom bring guns to crowded public events.
18. Democrats want to force innocent multi-millionaires to pay taxes.
19. Democrats want to let gays vote.
20. Democrats want to let immigrants vote.
That sign says it all.
Obamacare, as bad as it is, is just a part, the latest part, of the overall problem of a bloated government.
If they cannot eliminate a part of the problem, then the bloat is incurable.
well you know how to get rid of the cancer, right!?
(ha! but does it ever go away!!!??)
But, I wholeheartedly agree with no. 14.
Democrats really don't understand that the media bias is an enormous threat to this nation. Surrounding yourself with "yes men" is a really bad idea, as you will never have anyone to point you in the right direction when you go astray. Also, you can't have a functioning republic/democracy without an informed electorate. If the electorate is mis-informed, electoral mistakes will occur.
Also, you can’t have a functioning republic/democracy without an informed electorate.,,,”
The 20 steps are how a liberal mind works
The tea party's last stand will be when we have no other recourse than to exercise our 2nd amendment rights to a tyrannical government as was the original intention. We aren't there YET, but we are drawing close.
My FRiend... It is well past that time. We need not wait for Levin to tell us when to roll and over what issue... it is simply time for regime change. It is our obligation, our responsibility, our right, our duty to see this change through.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Ding, ding, ding. It's not my job to have the interests of the Republican party at heart, especially when they don't have my interests at heart but just see me as a beast of burden for their power. If the Republican party is the party of reduced government spending, reduced debt and increased freedom then great. If they are merely the second party of increased government, increased debt and decreased freedom they they can go to Hell with the Democrats.
Now look at McCain, Graham, and Boehner (when his feet aren't being held in the fire) and ask "which side are the Republicans on?"
base on what you said, the GOP has been infiltrated, like the Dems 70 years or so ago.
And we are losing them fast (last 30 years)