Skip to comments.Trainwreck: Kathleen Sebelius' Top Ten Testimony Fails
Posted on 10/30/2013 5:46:50 PM PDT by Kaslin
HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius "totally blew it," during today's testimony, in Buzzfeed's estimation. We agree. Here are ten reasons why: (1) Despite calling Obamacare's roll-out a "debacle" (over which she's presided), Sebelius still attempted happy talk:
"The Affordable Care Act, by any fair measure, is working for millions of Americans." - Sebelius Guy Benson (@guypbenson) October 30, 2013
(2) She actually said Obamacare's disastrous website "has never crashed," (!) adding that it is "functional." That claim requires some hardcore parsing to even remotely justify, and regardless, it's insanely terrible messaging. As if on cue, Healthcare.gov...crashed this morning and remained down throughout her testimony. This dichotomy produced several awkward (and priceless) visuals:
Rep. Olson holds up iPad with http://t.co/6nVcwU19CR on it, tells Sibelius "The exchange has been down during your entire testimony." BuzzFeedBenny (@bennyjohnson) October 30, 2013
(3) When Rep. Cory Gardiner (R-CO) challenged her to enroll through the exchanges herself, Sebelius asserted that it would be "illegal" for her to do so. This is factually false. Was this a deliberate lie, or is she that ignorant of the law she's overseeing?
Sebelius STILL insisting it would be illegal for her to buy in the exchange. How does she not know this? Jesus. Josh Barro (@jbarro) October 30, 2013
(4) When you're testifying in a very high-profile, nationally-televised hearing, and you're asked if the president is ultimately responsible for the conduct and results of his administration, muttering "whatever" is not an advisable course of action:
RT @jonward11: that's gonna leave a mark RT @charliespiering: VIDEO: Kathleen Sebelius to Congress "Whatever." http://t.co/pKIAGUJLoa Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) October 30, 2013
(5) The Secretary said that she had "no indication" that the launch would go as badly as it has, claiming that "no one" recommended a delay. Has she ever met, say, a single Republican? What she meant to say, I think, was that no one on her crack team of experts formally proposed delaying the law (aside from all the other ones, of course). If -- if -- that's true...why not? The red flags and stark warnings piled up for months, culminating in dire admonitions and failed tests just days before the launch. How could a delay not have been on the table? And yet:
And he still won't fire me! RT@hughhewitt: "I assured him we were ready to go" Sebelius re briefing POTUS. Guy Benson (@guypbenson) October 30, 2013
(6) Sebelius doubled down on the "you can keep your plan" lie. The Washington Post's fact-checker awarded this claim "Four Pinocchios" for its comprehensive mendacity.
(7) How is it possible to both blame the contractors for your own failures and express "confidence" in them? Sebelius tried:
Tough to reconcile Sebelius effectively blaming contractors for problems & expressing continued confidence in them. Stephen Hayes (@stephenfhayes) October 30, 2013
(8) Facing pointed questions about data security -- some relating to today's AP scoop -- Sebelius assured Americans that she was 'absolutely committed' to protecting their private information. But being nominally "committed" to something doesn't make it a reality. For instance, this huge security vulnerability came into being despite Sebelius' prized commitment. Plus:
Also committed to working website by 10/1. RT @KatiePavlich: "I absolutely commit to protect the privacy of the American people" -#Sebelius Guy Benson (@guypbenson) October 30, 2013
(9) Last week, HHS' private contractors indicated that they did have Obamacare enrollment figures. Yesterday, a senior administration official went to great lengths to avoid answering that question. Today, Sebelius denied having those numbers at all. Really? And why the mixed signals? I'd surmise that the contractors possess the information, but are legally forbidden to release them without permission -- which is why the CMS administrator refused to address the question directly yesterday, even under persistent questioning. The stats exist, but Sebelius doesn't want to talk about them because they're embarrassing.
(10) Unless Sebelius was attempting to channel the American people's sentiments on Obamacare, hissing "don't do this to me" into a live mic was probably a bad idea:
Kathleen Sebelius captured on hot mic: "Don't do this to me"
Krauthammer marvels at Sebelius' "pathetic, horrible, mortifying" performance, while Obamacare supporter Josh Barro wonders if the administration could have chosen a "more disastrous" spokesperson. I can think of at least one:
I'm speaking now at #Obamacare hearing, I want to say to GOP GET OVER IT Jan Schakowsky (@janschakowsky) October 30, 2013
I was hoping to hear whose idea it was to incorporate voter registration and why into the healthcare web site. I was hoping to hear who chose the Canadian company, and what was the criteria. I was hoping to hear about the system being overwhelmed with Medicaid applicants.
You annoying mosquitoes. Stop bothering us so we can bet back to ruling the world.
I really don’t know why she doesn’t just say eff this who needs this torture and leave
Back to Topeka, Ice Queen !
I implement ERPs for a living.
I am currently implementing a system that will have 10K users, with a highwater mark of 50K or so.
We have 6 test cycles, including several full-blown performance tests.
If I was to put together a plan for even this small implementation that had 2 weeks of testing would get me and my entire team fired on day one of the project.
This is like children being given a gun and then complaining when people get hurt.
I HATE it when I have to deal with children in my industry.
I have been doing this for 35 years and it never ceases to amaze me that when we left mainframes we also left mainframe disciplines.
ObamaCare should have been tested on politicians and union thugs before it was forced onto the general public.
Crony capitalism on the march
Charge the demonrat skank with perjury.
we don’t want her back
one just wanted to kill puppies...
“It’s Inner Party stuff. There’s nothing those swine don’t have, nothing.”
Julia ‘Nineteen-Eightfour’ Chapter IV, upon producing for Winston’s approval a container of real, ground coffee beans.
Maybe a shady spot in Lansing...
It should have been tested on all the rats in the House and the Senate because they voted for the unaffordable care act. Plus the entire administration
One thing we can all be sure of. There were people who knew that this turkey(website) would not fly. The technical people would have known that these problems were there all along. To go live was strictly a political decision.
One has to wonder how many Americans this administration is willing to kill in order to achieve a better(Progressive) America.
Bill Ayers, Obama's mentor, suggested it might be necessary to kill 25 million Americans in order to achieve the socialist dream.
No worries; according to El Rushbo, this is all part of the grand plan by Obama and company.
According to Rush, Obama can’t lose.
That is what she did! She used the old Arthur Carlson WKRP defense!
As God is my witness, I thought obozocare could fly!
Roger that. Loudly and often. There's no small irony, too, in the "new" popularity of the thin-client or web client all tying back to a massive server infrastructure. We've come full circle again. It's fair to observe that today's web interfaced server systems are orders of magnitude more complex than most anything in the big iron days of mainframes and dumb terminals. But like Gall's Law says... It would have been better to add sophistication to the simpler system that worked than it has been to jump full-function into a system of near-biological complexity.
I really cant thank Obammy enough for getting her out of Kansas!
No way!! WE dont want her back !!!
Yes, to say noting of the complexity of having to interface with antiquated gubmint systems from IRS, Social Security, HHS, Immigration, CMS and hundreds of insurance companies... you can’t test this bitch enough.
I helped deliver a refrigerator to the Lansing state pen many years ago and saw the shed where the ‘In Cold Blood’ killers were hanged.
I can think of a number of Democrats I wouldn’t mind delivering to that same prison yard gibbet. A few public hangings might be good for morale.
Totally. She’s got ice-water in her veins. Horrible, horrible person.
Theoretically, she’s Catholic. Who’s her bishop? He should have excommunicated her long before now.
Evil, arrogant, and ugly is not a good way to go through life.
I wonder when the adults are going to step up to the table to stop this madness and all of the lies.
I will not be too horribly surprised if everybody who signs up for Obamacare, who doesn’t use healthcare for 2 years to save money, finds themselves completely bumped out of the system except for premiums. It’s too easy for complex transaction management systems implemented by non-schema db authors to default somewhere along the way to a LIFO/FIFO substitution in their branched listings.
Missed hits won’t ever show up until too late and records will be purged by those wanting to avoid nasty QC metrics.
Seems as though 90% of those claiming to be MIS specialists in charge of data repositories have never maintained, let alone normalized a db design, be it heirarchal, relational, or O-O, or even non-schema based. They might perform some data entry and front end GUI work, maybe even some client configuration, but vaporware eyes when it comes to complex computing.
She is under interdict.
Make her drive on every Missouri highway to get there. She is pure evil.
They already have a bill hovering in the wings recruiting the replacements they would prefer to deal with!
Reminded me of the office classic:
In the beginning was the Plan, and then the specification;
And the Plan was without form,
and the specification was void.
was on the faces of the implementors thereof;
And they spake unto their leader,
It is a crock of shit,
and smells as of a sewer.
And the leader took pity on them,
and spoke to the project leader:
It is a crock of excrement,
and none may abide the odor thereof.
And the project leader
spake unto his section head, saying:
It is a container of excrement,
and it is very strong, such that none may abide it.
The section head then hurried to his department manager,
and informed him thus:
It is a vessel of fertilizer,
and none may abide its strength.
The department manager carried these words
to his general manager,
and spoke unto him
It containeth that which aideth the growth of plants,
and it is very strong.
And so it was that the general manager rejoiced
and delivered the good news unto the Vice President.
It promoteth growth,
and it is very powerful.
The Vice President rushed to the Presidents side,
and joyously exclaimed:
This powerful new software product
will promote the growth of the company!
And the President looked upon the product,
and saw that it was very good.
Alter the subsequent disaster, the suits protect themselves by saying I was misinformed!, and the implementors are demoted or fired.
Would this work if sung to the tune of “The Wreck of The Edmond Fitzgerald”?
No matter how you like Democrats, we will keep this promise . if you like your Congressman, you will be able to keep him. Period. No one will take him away. No matter what.
There are no problems with Obamacare. Not a single one.
The website not working hides the higher rates for a longer time as the private sector drops the insured for higher profit policies.
In the end private insurers are led to the ovens to be gassed into oblivion and you get single payer socialized medicine (which we will be told we should be grateful for OR ELSE)!
Most Rev. Joseph F. Naumann, Archbishop of Kansas City, KS, who is a good guy. BTW, he has told her directly to stop presenting herself for communion.
I think that Bill Ayers put the number at 35 million but that was some years ago. I'm sure the number is higher now.
I work for a big international bank. I happen to know a bit about PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and how the banking regulators require us to treat PII and protect customer information from being exposed to unauthorized parties. Fact is, we can be fined or worse for not protecting our customer's personally identifiable information.
The information security of our systems are constantly being evaluated by Auditors and Regulators here in the United States, Europe, Asia/Pacific and most stringently: Singapore.
If we mistreated our customers information the way that Kathleen Sebelius is treating our taxpayer information, we'd have been SHUT DOWN.
That's a FACT. Here you have the HHS Secretary "signing off" on taking known, and worse yet unknown and undocumented risks with OUR personal and financial information. If the bank I work for did that, we'd be SHUT DOWN and likely OUT OF BUSINESS as our customers would leave us.
Yet, this witch-with-a-b Kathleen Sebelius who has NO background in Information Technology, Information Security, or frankly good customer service has the POWER to "sign off" on putting our PERSONAL and FINANCIAL INFORMATION at risk via NO ENCRYPTION of our information anywhere within the system?
Get a rope.
“He should have excommunicated her long before now”
Do not remember the details.
Basically she excommunicated herself and was told to not present herself for the Eucharist.
Or it could have been Pelosi who was counseled by her bishop. Hopefully it was both.
Bottom line — she excommunicated herself.