Skip to comments.Poll: Americans Would Rather Keep or Expand Obamacare Than Repeal or Replace It
Posted on 11/03/2013 12:03:53 AM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
In a new poll released Friday, the Kaiser Family Foundation found the one month after the implementation of the Affordable Care Acts health insurance exchanges, more Americans want keep or expand the law as opposed to repeal or replace it, despite all of the problems with the HealthCare.gov web portal.
The poll asked people to answer what they would like to see Congress do when it comes to the health care law. As the figure below shows, 22% said expand the law and 25% said keep the law as is for a combined 47% of respondents. 13% wanted to see Congress repeal the law and replace it with a Republican-sponsored alternative and 24% said repeal the law and not replace it for a combined 37%.
As the Washington Posts Greg Sargent points out, the poll was taken October 17-23, more than two weeks after the problem-plagued rollout began (though in fairness, before the you can keep your plan furor blew up). It is significant that the big loser in the poll is the unspecified Republican-sponsored alternative given the fact that the GOP has not exactly been forthcoming about offering one up.
One other question from the poll concerned media coverage of the government shutdown/debt ceiling fight vs. the rocky Obamacare website rollout. Respondents were asked how closely they followed four stories that had been in the news last month: the government shutdown/debt ceiling fight, the Obamacare website problems, reports about the U.S. economy and the issues surrounding chemical weapons in Syria.
As the figure below demonstrates, Americans were far more likely to follow the shutdown/debt ceiling story very closely while the Obamacare website story received less overall public attention.
See the full poll results at KFF.org.
Another nonsense poll.
A Kaiser Family “poll”. Aren’t these the idiots who pimped ObamaCare to begin with? ROTFL!!! What a joke!
I suppose the Kaiser family would think this but the majority of Americans don’t agree!
“Americans were far more likely to follow the shutdown/debt ceiling story”
LOL, now I know this poll was a load of obama. Ask any American outside your street what a debt ceiling’ is and they’ll probably point you to Home Depot. Kaiser was the same group which years ago jacked up the approval ratings for obamacare before the vote was in by Roberts.
Expand it to what, dead liberal voters?
Do these people think resurrections come cheap?
“Expand the law” is such a vague thing to ask. That’s the closest answer they offered that would have been equivalent to “fixing the problems with the law.”
It’s interesting how even among Republicans, many more want to just repeal it, and don’t want a Republican replacement.
Among independents, more of them want to repeal it than want to keep it. It’s the overwhelming amount of Democrats that push the overall non-repeal answer up. It doesn’t help that 79% of Democrats are for the law while only 71% of Republicans are against it. The Dems’ enthusiasm for it is stronger than the Repubs’ distaste for it.
I don’t think the pollsters ask their questions at all, they just make up their answers to suit their purpose.
I just polled 500 people and 62% said that shit doesn’t stink.
Also noticed their question referred to “the health care law.” They didn’t say Obamacare or even Affordable Care Act. If you ask people do you want to expand health care laws, and they don’t know you’re referring to something specific, there’s probably an inclination to say yes. Unfortunately people do still tend to think of new laws as good things rather than things that should be repealed in general.
Sneaky. First question is how closely they have followed the health care issue. So after many admit they have not followed it closely, they are already intimidated. Then they’re asked about implementation. Boo, pretty much. Then finally comes their overall opinion of the ACA, which has been “signed into law.”
Bob Dornan once said the outcome of a poll is determined by the wording of the first question. I’m not sure all pollers would agree, but that’s a pretty astute judgment.
I’d be willing to bet that if you started off with the last question, you’d get a different result. Also, if you asked their party affiliation at the end instead of at the beginning.
I saw an man-in-the-street interview where the people were asked if they preferred Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act. Every one of them said that they preferred the Affordable Care Act over Obamacare! It would be interesting to see one of these “scientific” polls ask the same question.
Don’t worry. the MSM will be pimping this poll tomorrow!
Right. “Health care” is a loaded phrase. In fact, the law isn’t a health-care law at all but a health-care-insurance law.
When they heard “expand it,” the people thought it meant to expand the free coverage to include them!
Except for the Medicaid expansion, which isn’t health insurance, it’s an entitlement.
The poll was really missing any answer equivalent to “fixing the problems” with the law, which ironically is what Obama’s position is.
The problem is the law is so broad and huge with so many elements to it, a poll should really ask narrower questions to be of any use. Someone may not want the law repealed because they like the part about children staying on their insurance until age 26, even though they might hate everything else about it.
The majority of enrollees thus far are actually individuals signing up for Medicaid.
A case of both figures lying and liars figuring. What was the 2010 “shellacking” about again?
44 percent saying they have an unfavorable view of the law, 38 percent a favorable view, and 18 percent saying they dont know enough to say. Similar to last month, 8 percent of the public say they have an unfavorable view of the law, but they think its time for opponents to accept that its the law of the land and move on to other things.
True about Medicaid. That’s not insurance.
I don’t think breaking it down into components would solve the problem of biased polling here, though. They could have gotten a general response that was quite different by asking the questions in a less biased way.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.