"...Genetics - some small twin studies have indicated that there is a "substantial genetic contribution" to bipolar disorder risk. People with a blood relative who has bipolar disorder have a higher risk of developing it themselves. Currently, scientists are trying to identify which genes are involved..."
FROM the Mayo Clinic:
"...Inherited traits. Bipolar disorder is more common in people who have a blood relative (such as a sibling or parent) with the condition. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing bipolar disorder..."
FROM the National Institute of Mental Health:
"...Bipolar disorder tends to run in families. Some research has suggested that people with certain genes are more likely to develop bipolar disorder than others. Children with a parent or sibling who has bipolar disorder are much more likely to develop the illness, compared with children who do not have a family history of bipolar disorder. However, most children with a family history of bipolar disorder will not develop the illness..."
Having a bipolar parent is not a guarantee that a child will have bipolar disorder, but it definitely increases their odds. All I intended to convey is that this child should be watched for signs of bipolar disorder. I did not advocate for abortion or any other deleterious treatment for this child.
And who should watch for this child to turn out to be bipolar? The government? I can’t help but think of Zelda Fitzgerald’s daughter, Scottie, who despite her mother’s almost unprecedented level of mental illness, turned out to be a distinguished writer and mother of five.
Inherited or learned?
Risk Factors blood relative--periods of increase stress--drug/alcohol abuse-- physical health such as heart, thyroid obesity may be contribution factors or found with combination may lead to problem..
Certain health problems may be genetic in nature. On my mothers side of the family, diabetes usually in males and according to my mother skip 1 generation. She warned me when my kids were very young, especially my 4 sons...2 have diabetes, 3 don't but my brothers one girl is insulin dependent. A first female in 5 generations according to my mother.....the problem on my husbands side is heart attacks in the 40's. 2 of my 5 children has their first episode in their mid 40's. There father died at 51 and I was always after them to pay attention to their bodies..Being aware saved both of them. They have both passed the age when their father died. But I was the only one in my family to have a mild case of Bi Polar disorder. Not having any member of the family with certain disorders is no guarantee that others will have the same disorder...
And as the Mayo clinic states, being in a hypo-manic stage, it is a feeling of feeling great. He would know by looking at me if I was slipping up. But never had an so called uncontrollable problems. I had a doctor that knew shit from shinola..
So I learned something from you, thanks, genetic pre disposition as a factor was not known to me..but it is not the only factor. Life is a crap shoot I always say. You never know whats going to come up...
Having a good friend that is a Psychiatrist, he estimates a 25% chance of Bipolar if one parent has the disease, 50% if two. This can be the case with other conditions, and Bipolar is treatable. Also, if Bipolar runs in the family those 25% and 50% numbers include those family members that are going to get non-Bipolar Depression and other mood disorders, which many people have with no family history.