Skip to comments.Some News From the Mount Vernon Assembly
Posted on 12/09/2013 2:52:26 AM PST by Jacquerie
Here is a response from Florida State Senator Alan Hays regarding last Saturday's Mount Vernon Assembly.
"We discussed the process of bringing the Article V convention into reality and agreed to meet next year at a time yet to be determined due to the need to meet when state legislatures are adjourned or in recess. That will assure more participation. We also discussed a possible resolution to go to each state requesting their legislatures establish a selection process for delegates to be attending an Article V. Convention."
"We recognized the need for wide communication to the public of our work. I feel it was a very good first step toward success."
Folks, this Article V movement is off the ground!
Are you nervous about calling your state legislators? Heres what you do:
1. Find their contact number. Most state legislatures have a website where youll find all the contact information you need. Just do an internet search: [My State] State Legislature.
2. Call them. Try to use a landline, as this will give you the clearest signal. You dont want to drop this call!
3. Introduce yourself and thank them for their service: Hi, my name is [Your Name]. I live in your district, and I appreciate your service in our state legislature.
4. Explain why youve called: Im calling because Id like to talk to you about an opportunity the states have to take back power from the federal government.
5. Explain the problem: Almost everyone knows our federal government is on a dangerous course. The unsustainable debt combined with crushing regulations on states and businesses is a recipe for disaster.
6. Explain the solution: Fortunately, the Founders gave state legislatures the power to make changes to the federal structure when Washington, D.C., starts to abuse its authority. Article V of the Constitution authorizes the state legislatures to call a convention for the limited purpose of proposing amendments to the Constitution.
7. Explain the COS Project: The Convention of States Project was launched to call a convention for the purpose of proposing amendments that impose fiscal restraints and limit the power of the federal government.
8. Voice your support: I support this approach. I want [name of your State] to be one of the necessary 34 states that passes a resolution calling for a Convention of the States. You can find a copy of the draft resolution and a legislators handbook (which briefly explains the process and answers many questions) at www.conventionofstates.com.
9. Give them an action step: I ask you to support the Convention of States Project and become either the lead sponsor or co-sponsor of a resolution in the next legislative session.
10. Thank them again and give them some contact info: "Thanks so much for your service to the people of our district. You can reach the COS Project at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 540-441-7227.
When you finish your conversation, let us know what your state representative thinks! We need a legislator to sponsor our application in every state, and wed love to talk to a state congressman from your area. Thats it! Of course, its always best to use your own words and explain it however you feel most comfortable. Weve provided this outline as a guide. Good luck! -The COS Project Team
We the people and states can stand athwart the sad history of republics, which heretofore have collapsed into despotism.
Return to federalism and our God given freedoms!
Article V ping!
Most excellent, thanks!
Where liberty dwells, there is my country." Benjamin Franklin
From Daily KOS:
"We need to make people aware of this threat to democracy and preemptively discredit those pushing it, before it picks up more steam. In particular, we should contact our State legislative representatives and make very clear our opposition to any such constitutional convention."
The jerk is correct in that our once federal republic has the structural characteristics of a democratic republic, which is precisely why we are in trouble. Notice the encouragement to do what the Libs do best, destroy the reputations of those they oppose without regard to the substance of coherent arguments.
Scroll to the bottom of the link for comments. They get it.
I don’t know if they do quite get it. I don’t know if they realize how important liberty is to us. States actively protecting our liberty is the last peaceful solution. I don’t think they’ll like it if that fails.
Me too? Thanks.
Why wait for another year to reconvene? If this nation is going to be saved, get at it.
Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but if the goal is to find a period in which most state legislatures are not in session, it means a predilection toward sending state legislators as delegates to the amendment convention.
IMO that would be a good thing.
Good luck. Most of the craven dogs in Congress are as much of the problem as Obama and also need to be kicked out of office.
They serve the Council on Foreign Relations and other anti-American groups rather than their constituents.
We need a legislator to sponsor our application in every state,
I think part of the reason is stated. Next year is only a few weeks away, too. Let's try and let them go about this thoughtfully and methodically, it's hard because we're having to sit by and watch as our Constitution burns. I am so grateful that many of our states look to be getting off their tokus and doing their job--finally. I think the states are our last great hope to save our Constitutional Republic, otherwise who knows how it ends-- it would be ugly.
Our state legislatures will have to have the courage of the Founders. I do not exaggerate. The LEFT has killed tens of millions for their ideology. They will stop at nothing in trying to save the last 100 years of “progressivism”, i.e., COMMUNISM. Our enemies, both foreign and domestic, are inside the gates.
VERY WELL done!
EVERY executive agency is an arm of the nonstop democrat campaign to eliminate opposition.
I expect behind the scene regime efforts to upset every step of the Article V process.
Article V ping!
If I double pinged you today I apologize. BayNative passed your screen-names for the list, and I may have double posted to ya’ll.
Thank you both. We’re all on the same page.