To: Jim Robinson
Raise the import tariffs and offset it with income tax reductions. The stores are full of Chinese made stuff while Americans sit unemployed. This would:
- Increase the workforce by 30% (23% unemployed/77% employed = 30% increase. 23% is from shadowstats.com)
- a 10% tariff equals a $1500 per worker drop in income taxes. Americans would keep more of their money.
- with 30% increase in workforce government revenues from income tax would soar.
- government outlays for the unemployed would fall. Foodstamps, unemployment benefits, medicaid, and other programs would drop dramatically if there were jobs available. And this drop occurs without Ryan and the stupid party getting blamed for being cold hearted.
- American industry would be restored making us less dependent on foriegn countries and more capable of defending our nation.
- With 30% more people earning money in America, all American businesses would have more customers and prosperity would increase.
posted on 01/10/2014 1:08:41 PM PST
Not a good idea. Read up on the Smoot-Hawley Tariff and how that made the depths of the Great Depression worse.
I'd rather have streamlined business regulations and a much simpler, more business-friendly tax code to really stimulate real business growth in the USA. In effect, make American businesses way more competitive in the export market.
posted on 01/10/2014 1:12:10 PM PST
(FairTax: America's economic cure)
High tariffs and low (or no) income tax is a Conservative position.
Conversely, Free Trade(no tariffs) and high income taxes are a progressive liberal position. No other way to look at it.
posted on 01/10/2014 5:37:15 PM PST
(I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn.)
“The stores are full of Chinese made stuff while Americans sit unemployed.”
Until you address the reasons why that is, all tariffs do is lower the standard of living.
And that is the kicker, isn’t it? NO ONE wants to address the reasons why, and to do so is likely racist, and homophobic, since it makes Democrats, (and some spineless Republicans) look bad.
posted on 01/11/2014 5:17:30 PM PST
(Well, it is what the Sheeple voted for....)
What color is the sky in your world?
posted on 01/12/2014 11:32:17 PM PST
(Don't take life so seriously-you won't live through it anyway-Enjoy Yourself ala Louis Prima)
You will never convince globalists (some live here) that this will work. They cream protectionism, pure capitalism, and other memes.
Tariff would be great. Immigration Stoppage too. But the GOP is a do nothing party. Long live the Tea Party
posted on 01/20/2014 10:06:58 PM PST
(FIGHT LIKE WW2, WIN LIKE WW2. FIGHT LIKE NAM, FINISH LIKE NAM.)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson