Skip to comments.A health industry expert on ‘the fundamental problem with Obamacare’ (They can't collect the tax)
Posted on 01/12/2014 10:30:40 AM PST by 2ndDivisionVet
Ezra Klein: Give me your status report on Obamacare. Where do you think the law stands now?
Robert Laszewski: Theyre about where I expected them to be. HealthCare.Gov on the front-end is in pretty good shape. Its where it shouldve been at launch. The back-end is still highly problematic. Clearly the administration put its emphasis on the consumer side. Insurers are still seeing errors in probably 5 percent of the files coming through. Thats compounded by the issue of all the people enrolling in the last few weeks. Thats a huge surge that would create customer-service problems in the best of circumstances, So I think itll take until about the end of January till everyone is straightened out and where they should be.
EK: You mentioned the continued problems with error-ridden files. What are insurers doing for these people?
RL: There are two things. There are some obvious errors you get and the insurer can go back to the customer and straighten them out. Thats a very laborious task. The other thing that the administration is doing is a manual reconciliation. Theres unfortunately no computerized check between who HealthCare.Gov thinks is enrolled and who the insurance industrys computer systems think is enrolled. So its being done manually. Thats a big problem.
The other challenge now is getting people to pay for coverage. I was surprised today calling around to people to find only about 50 percent have paid. Thats not a reason to panic yet. The due dates for payment have been sliding all around, so people can be confused. But it can be a mess. Some insurers are doing autocalls like politicians do the night before the election asking people to pay....
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
REPEAL and do not replace.
Pay???? Ill bet 90% of the people who signed up thought they were getting free health care.
It’s an Eminence front.
It’s a put on.
I’ve been sending bills for medical services for 32 years, including to Medicaid and uninsured people.
I promis you - I PROMISE YOU - that no more than 25% of these newly “insured” people are ever going to pay a dime.
It isn’t hurting the Democrat party yet, so they can afford to be patient.
What are the 16,000 brand new IRS agents supposed to do now?
Go after the Tea Party?
Ezra is taking a horsewhipping in the comments.
Didn’t Ezra Klein take his ball and go home yet?
‘90% think they are getting free health care’ and the other 10% know they can remain covered up to 3 months without paying anything, according to obamacare rules, and the only penalty is that they can’t re-enroll for some period of time.
I guess we could schedule all the expensive tests and surgeries in a certain time frame, then sign up, don’t pay, have the tests and surgeries before being cancelled.
That could work.
If Obamacare stays in the law books, rest assured that the next time the Dems control all three houses of government, and maybe ever the SOCTUS, that the tax will become MANDATORY with pay check deductions along with seizures of property, bank accounts and tax raids for those who refuse to pay.
I think a big part of their work would be to reconcile the subsidy payments. There are going to be people that need to refund some or all of their subsidies as well as people receiving more subsidies than initially thought. If someone quits paying on their insurance that will have to be figured out also..
Sounds like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The whole thing was wrong from the beginning, and should be completely repealed.
You can count on it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.