Skip to comments.GOP mulls 32 candidates for president in 2016--so far
Posted on 01/15/2014 6:48:56 PM PST by Engraved-on-His-hands
If you thought the 13-candidate clogged 2012 Republican presidential primaries were too crowded and confusing, then you might want to skip the 2016 process -- because the Republican Party is suggesting that 32 might be interested in running.
The Republican National Committee is operating a 2016 Presidential straw poll that lists all 32, including former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. It's all part of a fundraiser.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...
Full disclosure: Im an unapologetic social conservative who has been quite disillusioned with the Republican Party for quite a few years. Ive voted for Patrick Buchanan, Alan Keyes (twice), and Tom Hoefling for President. However, in spite of that voting record, I try not to be too hardheaded and unreasonable in choosing a candidate. Most years I am willing to support (or at least vote for) most of the candidates running. The problem, however, is that the few that I will not support or vote for are the ones that usually get the nomination.
I wont at this point rule out too many on this list. I think that I will beat the rush, though, and rule out voting for Christie, Daniels, King, and Rice, even if they get the nomination. Some, such as Barbour and Huckabee, Im not excited about, but Ill hold my fire for now.
The ones that Im most interested in right now are (in no particular order) Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin, Mike Pence, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum. I supported Santorum in 2012, but I think that Mike Pence might be one to watch for 2016.
hey I have an idea- this time lets pick a candidate that 70% didn’t vote against
Most will get 2 or 3% of the vote, but Chris Christie will get a whopping 4% of the vote — he will be unstoppable!!!! He’s inevitable. It’s his turn. Etc, etc, etc.
None of whom will be running if the big money Corporatists have their way. And they will.
if that POS Paul Ryan gets even 1% then I’ll know the republicans are more f’d in the head than I thought they were
Hey! I have an idea too! Let's close the primaries so crossover democrats don't select the worst candidate for the republicans!
Mull............sez it all
This pair would be awesome it actually brings tears of joy to my eyes. We need some good news that’s for sure!
Cruz, Palin, Pence (as VP) could get my vote.
But as an independent I am not enamored with the GOP, and with McConnell at war against the TEA Party and Bonehead talking about passing an amnesty... I’m not sure I care if they win or lose this election. Heck, I’m not sure they care.
They’re trying to stay relevant since their boy Christie is out, and in such an embarrassing way.
They’re mulling Cruz?
Not their choice. He won’t follow their orders. He must poll well, otherwise they wouldn’t touch the idea.
I thought Crispy was all but nominated. :-)
There’re three or four there I could live with.
None of whom will be running if the big money Corporatists have their way. And they will.
With all due respect to you this is the problem with too many people on our side of the aisle. You’re already assuming the fight is lost two years before the first ballots in Iowa are cast. The grassroots has power. Remember Romney didn’t lose because he didn’t get enough independents. In fact, he clobbered the president with that group. No, Mitt lost because we stayed home by the millions and the numbers bear that out. I’m tired of hearing we don’t have a chance against the RINO establishment and their corporate interests. Sure we do. We don’t fight hard enough during the primaries. We end up splitting up our votes between one or more conservatives in the race, just as we did in 2012 with Newt and Rick, and then we whine when we end up with a McCain, Romney, or other RINO as our presidential candidate. We need to be a united front in 2016 and get behind the strongest conservative with the best chance of winning. If a Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, or a Peter King gets the GOP presidential nod, then it’s our fault not the establishment.
That is a Winning Pair.
Not many on that list to get excited about.
The retreads? Hardly.
Even McCain, Romney, and Huckabee are hinting, hoping they will be begged to run.
So, what will the revised primary schedule look like?
In the last 2 presidential elections, my state’s primary was so late in the spring that the nominee was already decided weeks earlier. Thus, there is little reason to jump onto any of the bandwagons.
~Newt Gingrich, 2012
====== NEWT GINGRICH'S GREAT 2012 CAMPAIGN SPEECHES ======
CPAC 2012 Speech -- Newt Gingrich, U.S. President Elect
CPAC 2012 Speech -- Sarah Palin, U.S. Vice President Elect
Nancy Reagan (1995) : Ronnie turned that Torch over to Newt
NRA Second Amendent Speech -- Newt Gingrich
U.S. Energy Independence in 2012 -- Speech
U.S. Energy Independence in 2012 -- Newt Gingrich
"America's Space Renaissance" in Florida !
Newt Gingrich -- Vision for America in Space Again
Why is Newt Gingrich So Angry ?
Newt Gingrich : South Carolina Victory Speech (2012-01-21)
Newt Gingrich : Christmas Day in 1776 George Washington's "Victory or Death"
Newt Stoutly Defends the Second Amendment (Right to Bear Arms)
Newt Gingrich Constitutional Removal of Radial-Liberal Federal Judges
Newt Slams an "Increasingly Radical" EPA
Newt Defends Israel and Shows how the Palestinians are an "Invented" people !
Newt Warns against the Proposed 9-11 NYC Islamic Mosque and Islamic Sharia Law
Gingrich Compares Radical-Isalmics Muslims To Nazis
Newt Gingrich On The Threat Of Radical Islam
Newt Gingrich Americas Defense of Judea-Christian Ideals and Defense against Islamic Fascism
Gingrich: Aggressive Prosecution of Radical-Militant U.S. Muslim Groups
Newt Gingrich: Response to CNNs John King Divorce Question
Newt Gingrich to Juan Williams: Americans Want Paychecks, Not Food Stamps
Gingrich BLASTS Chris Wallace for his "Gotcha" Questions at Iowa Debate
Newt Destroys Ron Paul's Foreign Policy Vis-à-Vis Killing Osama bin Laden
Gingrich: My Credential Is 4.2% Unemployment
Newt Slams Obama's Stupidity on the Keystone Pipeline
Gingrich attacks Federal Reserve (Bernanke and Geitner) Deception and Corruption
Newt Discusses Job Creation and Dismantling Federal (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac)
Newt: No American President Should Bow to a Saudi King
Newt Gingrich: Super PAC Committee Is Washington's Dumbest Idea
====== NEWT GINGRICH'S GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ======
Newt Gingrich understands ... what many of us know to be true ...
America is dangerously close to becoming a Marxist Godless Socialist Second-World nation ...
While in congress, Newt
* Founded the Conservative Opportune Society which met weekly to discuss ideas many of which were adopted by Reagan during his second term supporting the groups conservative goals on economic growth, education, crime, and social issues.
* Co founded the Congressional Military Reform Caucus and the Congressional Aviation and Space Caucus
* Led charges against the Democrat Speaker of the House Jim Wright
* Became House Minority Whip in 1989
* In 1990, he came up with a paper titled Language, a Key Mechanism of Control, that encouraged Republicans to speak like Newt and contained lists of contrasting words words with negative connotations such as radical, sick, and traitors and optimistic positive governing words such as opportunity, courage, and principled, that Gingrich recommended for use in describing Democrats and Republicans, respectively Now we know why he is so good with words during the debates.
* Gingrich and several other Republicans, in an effort to offer an alternative to Democratic policies and to unite distant wings of the Republican Party came up with a Contract with America which laid out ten policies that Republicans promised to bring to a vote on the House floor during the first hundred days of the new Congress if they won the elections. The contract was signed by Gingrich and other Republican candidates for the House of Representatives. The contract ranged from issues such as welfare reform, term limits, tougher crime laws, and a balanced budget law, to more specialized legislation such as restrictions on American military participation in UN missions. In the November 1994 elections, Republicans gained 54 seats and took control of the House for the first time since 1954.
* Congress fulfilled Gingrichs Contract promise to bring all ten of the Contracts issues to a vote within the first 100 days of the session
* Legislation proposed by the 104th US Congress included term limits for Congressional Representatives, tax cuts, welfare reform, and a balanced budget amendment, as well as independent auditing of the finances of the House of Representatives and elimination of non-essential services such as the House barbershop and shoe-shine concessions.
* Newt led the Republican majority to an re-election in 1996, the first time Republicans had done so in 68 years, and the first time simultaneously with a Democratic president winning re-election.
* In 1996, Newt pushed for the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which was intended to reconstruct the welfare system. The act gave state governments more autonomy over welfare delivery, while also reducing the federal governments responsibilities. It instituted the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, which placed time limits on welfare assistance and replaced the longstanding Aid to Families with Dependent Children program. Other changes to the welfare system included stricter conditions for food stamp eligibility, reductions in immigrant welfare assistance, and recipient work requirements. The said act was signed into law on Aug 22, 1996.
* Pushed Clinton for a Federal Balanced Budget- The plan included a total of $152 billion in Republican sponsored tax cuts over five years. Other major parts of the spending plan called for $115 billion to be saved through a restructuring of Medicare, $24 billion set aside to extend health insurance to children of the working poor, tax credits for college tuition, and a $2 billion welfare-to-work jobs initiative. Plan was to have a balanced budget by 2002 but was achieved in 1999, three years ahead of schedule.
* Through the Contract with America, Gingrich was credited with the largest Capital Gains Tax Cut in US History with the 1997 US Tax Relief Act
What do you want to bet the conservatives will all take each other out and they’ll stick us with that fat commie?
I’ll be voting for Governor Sarah Palin if she runs...
If she doesn’t then I’ll consider voting for Cruz, Paul or another CONSERVATIVE...
Don’t try to force a Willard down my throat in 2016..
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.