Last reported circling over Lake Geneva at 7000 ft.
Is it wise to tell the whole world this, including any collaborators not on the plane?
Oh boy, prayers for those on board.
No longer on radar via Flightaware http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH702
If this is real, why is it not on the news sites?
Pilots heard on radio stating they will be exiting via the aircraft flight deck window.
I guess they finally figured out that hiding in the wheel wells was not a good idea...
Thanks to you, we were aware of it before the plane landed.
I'm glad I'm not on that aircraft...
Reportedly, they flew eight circles around the Geneva airport before landing low on fuel. Other reports say one of the engines had already flamed out.
The BBC is now on it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26222674
Ethiopian Airlines flight ET-702 on scheduled service departing from Addis Ababa on 17 February 2014 at 00:30 (local time) scheduled to arrive in Rome at 04:40 (local time) was forced to proceed to Geneva Airport. Accordingly, the flight has landed safely at Geneva Airport. All passengers and crew are safe at Geneva Airport.
Ethiopian Airlines is making immediate arrangements to fly its esteemed customers on-board the flight to their intended destinations.
It’s getting more interesting. Supposedly, the Swiss police have arrested the pilot, who was requesting asylum.
· The pilots of flight 702 communicated with Geneva Airport air traffic control to inquire about possibility of hijackers receiving asylum in Switzerland. Further details of the hijackers are not known.
· There was back-and-forth between Geneva Airport, Swiss authorities, the pilots, and hijackers as asylum was negotiated while the aircraft flew on dwindling fuel over Lake Geneva. The difficulty comes in the time this all occurred: 6am on a Monday morning in Geneva, an hour when there's little likelihood for those with decision power to be at their desks.
· With about 10 minutes of fuel remaining and one engine out, flight 702 safely landed on the single runway at Geneva Airport around 6:00am local time. ATC directed the aircraft to taxi to the end of the runway and stop. Friend of Jaunted and aviation authority @thatjohn believes he heard the pilots "telling ATC they will be coming out of the window."
· ATC went silent for several minutes before stating: "situation in progress and I have no idea when it will end. For the time, Geneva Airport is closed." Requests from other aircraft en route were denied, and they were informed that the airport is currently closed.
· Geneva Airpot's Tower ATC noted at 6:30am that they're hoping to re-open the airport at 7am local time, but the aircraft with the situation is still sitting on the tarmac and he is not sure of more details. Other aircraft bound for GVA are being rerouted to airports like MXP (Milan-Malpensa) and ZRH (Zurich).
Swiss Police confirming that a pilot aboard the aircraft is the individual in custody (10:54pm PST)
Terror bombing at Israeli-Egyptian border kills 4 including 3 South Korea tourists and wounding more than a dozen more