Skip to comments.The deadly illusion of a divided Ukraine
Posted on 03/02/2014 10:27:28 PM PST by Krosan
The Western media has devoted substantial coverage to Ukraine in recent days. Sadly, much of that coverage has been so oversimplified as to border on falsehood. Perhaps the best example of this is the narrative of a divided Ukraine, which has been repeated frequently and confidently by Western journalists. This narrative is factually suspect and, if believed by enough powerful people, will have disastrous results for our country.
National Public Radio reporter David Stern said: As Ukraine is a split society, there is always the danger that there could be a civil war.
Max Fisher, writing for The Washington Post, referenced an Ethno-Linguistic Map of Ukraine, which showed the regional division of the country into ethnic Ukrainians and ethnic Russians, as well as showing the Ukrainian-Russian language divide. Writing for Open Democracy, Ethan Burger goes as far as to suggest that Ukraine should be partitioned into two countries: east and west.
The problem is that much of the medias referenced information is coming from the outdated 2010 presidential elections or even from 2004 Orange Revolution data. During the past seven months, the picture has dramatically changed. As for the past month, the harsh division is simply not there anymore.
Most of Ukraines citizens who represent the nations cultural and intellectual society have held a view directly opposite to mainstream Western media.
(Excerpt) Read more at kyivpost.com ...
Putin will reincorporate Crimea into Russia much the same way China took Tibet. There is really nothing the West can do. If Putin is satisfied with Crimea, the transformation may be bloodless. However if he moves against the eastern Ukraine landmass, there will be fighting.
The media is doing it to justify the Russian invasion so that Obama is not embarrassed by the disaster.
I don't buy it. This sounds like something Obama's truth squad dreamed up to put out there.
Ukraine won’t be divided, the Russians will reassert their influence over the entire region.
The Crimea area — Russia’s southern military base including its main warm water port facilities, plus the majority of Russian people living in Ukraine...
The rest of Ukraine — Russia’s gas and oil pipeline routes, plus the main food/grain production region for Russia, etc.
And, routes into Russia from Germany/Europe (remembering World War 2, for instance, and prior history).
just my 2cents worth. we will see....
The pro-EU crowd might have gotten some of their extra support from the camp that previously did not know. Also Russian propaganda has lost a lot of its credibility in the eyes of regular people.
and I’m not siding with them, either, just observing is all...
we will see what transpires....
we will see...
I don’t think 58 percent is a majority of the country — that leaves 42 percent who do not want to join the EU. And bringing a rock star’s opinion into the discussion is a real nonstarter. Language differences *do* divide a country by making “otherness” even stranger. People are alienated from each other when communication is difficult. So I don’t think this message — that Ukrainians are in agreement on what kind of country they want — is correct. I feel very sorry for these folks. The only thing worse than being a country whose people are divided in their outlook about their government is being that country with two superpowers standing by and adding fuel to the fire.
The Russian message got out first since it had been written before the event.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.